Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How's Your Hydro?

How's Your Hydro?

Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's Your Hydro?

Originally Posted by not2old
OK, I get the message, its been a long time since our kids did things without expecting something in return...
No, no...it's been so long your forgot that some things are quicker without them 'helping'
Old Dec 8th 2016, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
No, no...it's been so long your forgot that some things are quicker without them 'helping'
^^^ this.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday's use without using any appliances like washer/dryer/dishwasher, and only using the toaster oven to cook dinner for 10 mins, the daily use was 44 kWh more then double the same day last week.

Difference is the temps, last week was mild and +8 and yesterday was minus 3 for the high and minus 5 overnight.

Living room thermostat is at 55F now, bedroom we have set at 68F and closed the door with towels on the floor to keep the cold out out.

The place is clearly poorly insulated and cannot keep the heat in and cold out.

Today its currently minus 3 but the forecast calls for the temps to keep dropping and hitting minus 9 by the evening.

Baseboards should be banned....lol
Old Dec 8th 2016, 5:44 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

JS could you look at say the August & September bills to compare them with November, December & maybe January electricity bills. The difference would be the heating cost?

Based on that & take it that you would have the heat on from December - April 1 (5 months) - what would you estimate the electricity cost for just the heating portion part of the bill would be for that period, then divide by 5 to get the average monthly cost, then the 5 month period total cost divide it by 12 to get an average monthly cost

I would like to guess or hope that the heating bill across 12 months is about $20 - $30/mth more than the non winter months bill average.... guessing
Old Dec 9th 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

leith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond reputeleith has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Jsmth about baseboard heaters. They are an very inefficient way to try to heat a room. The only one in our living room is right under the main window. We no longer use it. Instead, we have a radiant heater that keeps the area we actually use warm when we need it.
Interesting news item on TV yesterday evening. Some people living in rural Ontario are paying 30% of their income just for electricity.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leith
I agree with Jsmth about baseboard heaters. They are an very inefficient way to try to heat a room. The only one in our living room is right under the main window. We no longer use it. Instead, we have a radiant heater that keeps the area we actually use warm when we need it.
Interesting news item on TV yesterday evening. Some people living in rural Ontario are paying 30% of their income just for electricity.
The stories out of ON about electricity are downright scary, seems that province is in trouble.

Usage yesterday with it set at 60-63F was 34 kWh, 10 kWh less compared to the day prior, but 60-63F inside is just too cold, and we turned it back up to 68F in the day, and drop it down to 65F overnight.

Looking over the summer with A/C being used, seems A/C is cheaper to run then baseboard heaters.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
The stories out of ON about electricity are downright scary, seems that province is in trouble.

Usage yesterday with it set at 60-63F was 34 kWh, 10 kWh less compared to the day prior, but 60-63F inside is just too cold, and we turned it back up to 68F in the day, and drop it down to 65F overnight.

Looking over the summer with A/C being used, seems A/C is cheaper to run then baseboard heaters.
I agree with you and Ontario is where I am relocating too!!! I have not seen or read anything positive.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 1:42 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
I agree with you and Ontario is where I am relocating too!!! I have not seen or read anything positive.
Not sure what you have in mind about nothing positive but:

No premiums for medicare; Trillium that restricts your prescriptions costs so that ill health doesn't bankrupt you; $100 a month towards medical supplies if diabetic...

Perhaps what you are reading as disadvantages are actually disadvantages in Canada rather than Ontario?
Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what you have in mind about nothing positive but:

No premiums for medicare; Trillium that restricts your prescriptions costs so that ill health doesn't bankrupt you; $100 a month towards medical supplies if diabetic...

Perhaps what you are reading as disadvantages are actually disadvantages in Canada rather than Ontario?
Sorry but the nothing positive was only related to Hydro. Should have make that bit clearer.

Sorry about the confusion, I have read and heard many positive things regarding Ontario and Canada as a whole. My only concerns are Hydro, Car Insurance and dealing with snow again after 8 years without it. All quite trivial really in the scheme of things.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:18 am
Oscar nominated

Sorry but the nothing positive was only related to Hydro. Should have make that bit clearer.
Fair enough. And that is what the thread is about...but with thread drift you never know.

My only concerns are Hydro, Car Insurance and dealing with snow again after 8 years without it.
The thing with Hydro is not the cost per unit or whatever but that so much of it's needed.
I pay almost 10 times what it was in the UK but it's not ten times as costly, it's 20 times worse weather.
I don't drive but everyone complains about car insurance no matter where in Canada they are.
All quite trivial really in the scheme of things.
Not really...not the snow anyway. Heart attacks, back injury, fall injuries, costs,the grind just to get through winter....
Old Dec 10th 2016, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Fair enough. And that is what the thread is about...but with thread drift you never know.
haha so true

The thing with Hydro is not the cost per unit or whatever but that so much of it's needed.
I pay almost 10 times what it was in the UK but it's not ten times as costly, it's 20 times worse weather.
I don't drive but everyone complains about car insurance no matter where in Canada they are.
Yeah from what I am reading here and online, it is the service costs more than the actual price.
Privatization has really helped a lot of industries and shareholders of pretty much essential basics of day to day living.

Not really...not the snow anyway. Heart attacks, back injury, fall injuries, costs,the grind just to get through winter....
Ah yes forgot about these things since not had to deal with it for so long, except for a few weeks here and there.

I have been looking at some Instagram pics of the snow falls in Vancouver and Toronto, and while they look really pretty and bring back memories. The reality is sheesh, scraping your car in the morning or after work, and all the other fun that goes with it!
Old Dec 10th 2016, 10:57 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the confusion, I have read and heard many positive things regarding Ontario and Canada as a whole. My only concerns are Hydro, Car Insurance and dealing with snow again after 8 years without it. All quite trivial really in the scheme of things.
utilities & the cost of living in general all gone way way up since you left Ontario 8 years ago

Just the two of us seniors, the blended cost/mth (across 12 mths) for all utilities (Electric, gas & water/sewer) is $342/mth tax included ($4104/yr)
Old Dec 11th 2016, 1:22 am
Account Closed

Discovered one issue. The patio door has no weather stripping at all. Explains the draft.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by not2old
utilities & the cost of living in general all gone way way up since you left Ontario 8 years ago

Just the two of us seniors, the blended cost/mth (across 12 mths) for all utilities (Electric, gas & water/sewer) is $342/mth tax included ($4104/yr)
I am originally from the UK.

That seems to be quite a lot, will need to review utilities bills for the last yes.
Old Dec 11th 2016, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

"privatization" of utilities has not proved to be cost efficient in the long term. It used to be that "utilities" was the term used for basic services provided by government (ie taxpayers) towards a minimum standard of living for it's citizens. Basic referred to water, heat, electricity, law enforcement, public health...all reflecting civilised living in advanced cultures. Heck, it seems more like a free for all "Im alright jack" nowadays.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.