Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How's Your Hydro?

How's Your Hydro?

Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How's Your Hydro?

Originally Posted by not2old
agree & I'm one that is really pi$$ed off about the high cost of utility bills

With the cooker, washer, dryer & dishwasher on electricity. Natural gas for hot water & heating. We do use the AC in summer, but turn it off when we go to bed leaving the furnace fan running

Here in Pickering back in 2013 we'd get an electricity bill every 90 days, then it became every 60 days, then in October this year from here on in its now every 30 days. Maybe Wynn's con job to try to fool us that the bills are not as high.

Since we became seniors, its more so about 'a penny saved' when possible & I track every bill

Just the two of us, the yearly electricity bill as follows

2012 $1383
2013 $1359 is when the wife started washing, dryer & dishwasher in off peak rates
2014 $1366
2015 $1588
2016 $1903
2017 $2025 estimate

The rise in charges have gone through the roof compared to our income.

Add to that Natural gas, water/sewer & property tax increases
OMG I have just double checked what I have paid for the last year and that is nearly double. I suspect have a gas hob may help, but not sure by how much. I rarely use my electric oven but electric hobs I suspect going to cost more than gas hobs!

Note: I am based in Melbourne, Australia for the time being and still wondering after reading all these post's how Ontario can rip off customers with Hydro and car insurance costs. I have read enough to understand, but still makes me wonder!
Old Dec 7th 2016, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Anyone find inexplicable highs and lows?

I recently sold my duplex and it had been unoccupied since August to improve chances so the bills for a 2 bed/1 bed apartment have been in my name since.

Nothing on other than water heater and fridge/freezer for each apartment. Same size water heaters and fridge for the 2 bed is older.

Difficult to do a comparison for the first bills as the tenant for the 2 bed apt had been disconnected for non payment and I was lumbered with the reconnection fee even though I had registered on the province "landlord plan" that is supposed to protect the supply but appears to offer little advantage. (whinge, moan, bleat etc)

But it was about $30 and $23 for August.
Then $59 and $43 for September. Strange that it would go up like that for both apartments. I had a contractor in, so it's possible that used up power but what he did was mostly in the 1 bed unit.

Then $52 and $49 in October. The reduction in the first might make sense given definitely no power used compared to the previous month but the same should have applied to the 1 bed unit and it was slightly more.

Nothing to fuss over, but maybe the older fridge in the 2 bed is using power at a greater rate.

Here's the shock. Upon sale (and still no heating having been put on - I was about to do it and then suddenly there was a quick sale) the final bill covered 33 days so I wasn't surprised to see the $52 for October become $57.

But it was shocking to see $49 for the 1 bed become $104.

I checked the actual consumption and it was four times that of the previous month.

Any ideas why?

I took it up with the power company and they said they agreed it didn't look right and they'd investigate.

But the next day they confirmed it was 100% accurate and kept telling me that heating costs would likely make the difference - even though I had told them there was no heating on. Oh...and the two water heaters are both located in the basement so it's not as if one is exposed to conditions and the other not.

They then said that if heating was not off at the breaker switch then it would not truly be off - and I said that might account for moderate fluctuations but that maybe they should stop looking at the one bill in isolation and do a comparison for the two and explain why one apt had the lower bill for three months running and then suddenly went double the other one with 4 times the power used in the previous month.

I got nowhere and there's no provision for disputes like I've seen in other provinces (yay Alberta).

Closing was 5 days after the agreed price, so it's not like the buyer was in for a month using up power while the bill was still in my name.

Is it something daft like someone sees a for sale sign, observes a place is empty, finds an external power socket and plugs things in?
Yes, I too saw a sudden massive leap in Oakville Hydro charges for my parents 1 bedroom apartment (built in 1989). Hydro said everything was correct and that maybe I should change the fridge and stove, and lower the thermostat. So, furious with that, I kept the apartment VACANT (for 1 year)and unplugged everything. Still got over $100 per month hydro bills, even with newly installed individual meters! HYdro told me "its about time everyone paid the real costs"!!. What that tells me is that everyone was subsidized in Canada before and now the debts have to be paid....just as with pensions, health care, infrastructure. I truly fear for the future of the 15-30 year olds here in Canada. The bare necessities to live in this climate and vastness of this country are now out of range for them. Housing is expensive, transport is spotty, education is not the best for the prices, and now they say simple grocery needs are going up in 2017. Top it all with the only growth sectors being production and supply of mind altering substances, dollar stores and fast food!!. Bleak indeed for the timid.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:43 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

August's Hydro bill was $160.74. $64 of that was delivery, $24 on peak, $15 mid peak, $4 regulatory charges and $18 HST. We used more KWh than previously which is odd as we were trying to use less.
We have AC and an electric water heater, laundry is electric and all other gadgets save cooking which is gas.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Yes, I too saw a sudden massive leap in Oakville Hydro charges for my parents 1 bedroom apartment (built in 1989). Hydro said everything was correct and that maybe I should change the fridge and stove, and lower the thermostat. So, furious with that, I kept the apartment VACANT (for 1 year)and unplugged everything. Still got over $100 per month hydro bills, even with newly installed individual meters! HYdro told me "its about time everyone paid the real costs"!!. What that tells me is that everyone was subsidized in Canada before and now the debts have to be paid....just as with pensions, health care, infrastructure. I truly fear for the future of the 15-30 year olds here in Canada. The bare necessities to live in this climate and vastness of this country are now out of range for them. Housing is expensive, transport is spotty, education is not the best for the prices, and now they say simple grocery needs are going up in 2017. Top it all with the only growth sectors being production and supply of mind altering substances, dollar stores and fast food!!. Bleak indeed for the timid.

I wonder if that is true Canada wide on electric use (subsidized and paying true cost) or if just for some provinces.

Anyone know about BC Hydro?

Of the high cost of nearly everything, hydro in BC is still one of the least costly in Canada, only Quebec and Manitoba come in cheaper. Could be worse, look at the average in NY City.

https://www.bchydro.com/news/conserv...s-compare.html

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 7th 2016 at 6:51 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bats
August's Hydro bill was $160.74. $64 of that was delivery, $24 on peak, $15 mid peak, $4 regulatory charges and $18 HST. We used more KWh than previously which is odd as we were trying to use less.
We have AC and an electric water heater, laundry is electric and all other gadgets save cooking which is gas.
Apparently, and this is what Ive been told by Oakville Hydro in Ontario, the new meters systems have been upgraded to the latest technology. In previous decades, meters were never accurate and gave only an approximate usage record, they said!!!! I dont know.....it all sounds like the Volks Wagon saga....technology is set up to provide data they want, how they want it and when. More and more it becomes obvious that there are no oversights, independent and fair, of any utilities or major services. More concerning is what hydro companies can do by remote to your standard of living and quality of life, on a whim nowadays with the new technology.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at the hydro website for the previous 2 days since the cold weather started (-3 currently was -5 overnight) with 2 baseboard (one living room, one in bedroom.) set at 68 in the day and 65 overnight, our daily use was 35 and 37 kWh, the days prior we were in the 15-24 kWh range.

Baseboards just don't seem to work well at keeping a place warm. But maybe forced air would struggle as well, who knows, never had forced air in Canada.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 7:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Looking at the hydro website for the previous 2 days since the cold weather started (-3 currently was -5 overnight) with 2 baseboard (one living room, one in bedroom.) set at 68 in the day and 65 overnight, our daily use was 35 and 37 kWh, the days prior we were in the 15-24 kWh range.

Baseboards just don't seem to work well at keeping a place warm. But maybe forced air would struggle as well, who knows, never had forced air in Canada.
Doors would help, being able to close off a room and warm that one makes a difference. That's the trouble with these open plan living areas. It's a reason to shove the tv in the bedroom and spend the evening in there, at least there's a door to close.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Doors would help, being able to close off a room and warm that one makes a difference. That's the trouble with these open plan living areas. It's a reason to shove the tv in the bedroom and spend the evening in there, at least there's a door to close.
one good suggestion, yet as to how much their electricity bill of $45 - $50/mth (see earlier in this thread) will drop over the winter is anyones guess

Since JS is on a very tight limited income to expenses, having cut out the cell phone, is already on minimal grocery bill, I suppose they could turn off the heat in all rooms other than the bedroom & live out the winter in it - using a small portable heater when they have to be in the kitchen or bathroom?

Days of old UK houses with a one room coal fireplace to heat the house, didn't work very well. An apartment had just one radiant bar heater that would heat about 50 sq'ft

BTW, I'm guessing where JS lives the temperatures in winter are a lot warmer than they are in other places across Canada.

JS, all the best to you trying to figure this one out

Last edited by not2old; Dec 7th 2016 at 8:33 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have two main rooms downstairs. One was probably a dining room once upon a time but the kitchen is big enough for a dining area and as with the people we bought from, the dining room is a second living room.

The biggest room is nice, light and airy but it's not nice, light and airy in winter. The front door opens into it - just like all those American sitcoms - and there are windows on the side and front. There's no door between it and the kitchen, just a doorway.

The woodstove is in that room and while it takes the chill of a bit, it's not really comfortable in there without some additional heating. And I mean additional to the vents from the heat pump.

At least not without cranking the heating up.

For the second or third winter we moved into the other room and decided to keep that as the main living room. It saved about $40 a month on equalised payments and we stopped using the woodstove so we saved on wood too. Well, firelogs for us.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

That is exactly what I am doing this afternoon, we are moving to the bedroom for the winter, then I can turn the living room down to 60F close the bedroom door and we can just hang out in there for winter.

The living room has laminate wood flooring, on top of concrete and based on the cold of the floor they didn't seem to put any insulation between the concrete and floor. Below us is empty commercial space, if it was rented and heated may not be so bad.

There is also a door from living room to patio, has weather strip all along it but is from what I can tell not very thick glass and if you stand near it you can feel the cold air coming though, same with the big living room window.

I think the baseboard may also be undersized for the space.

Bedroom is better as it has carpet so floor is warmer, has same size baseboard as living room despite being a fraction of the size.

Big glass window in there is no better, but being smaller, it does stay warmer and heater does go on and off as needed. Just drafty.

I can see why these condos had to be turned into rentals and could not be sold, so many issues in how they were built, and likely explains why nobody wants to buy the building.

Would help if the common hallway was heated as its an ice bucket out there and front door cold with a draft.

We moved here in the winter last year, but last winter was fairly warm and mild, never saw these low of temps.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:08 pm
limey party pooper

Do you have curtains JS? They save heat escaping too. See what's in the grift stores or ask the Sally Army if they have as pair pair that will fit.

I hate that our front door opens into the living area. It's so common here and yet you would think a small hallway would be essential for heat saving.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:16 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

August's Hydro bill was $160.74. $64 of that was delivery, $24 on peak, $15 mid peak, $4 regulatory charges and $18 HST.

We used more KWh than previously which is odd as we were trying to use less.
put a timer on the fridge so its off oduring the 'on peak period' Fridges burn lotsa kwh

In the summer always leave the furnace fan running when the AC is on. Switch the AC off when you go to bed & leave the fan running at all times

For those that have an electric stove, do not use the 'big 30" wide oven part' 'it definitely eats away at the Kwh' Instead go get a counter top cyclonic oven for roasting, baking etc, payback is fast. I bought ours at the thrift store.

A one burner (small compact) camper stove is also useful. We got ours from the local chinese market for $20+tax. A plate (big flat cookie tray) on top on the oven burners, the small butane bottle that fires up the poratable stove will cost way less than using a stove plate element.

Last edited by not2old; Dec 7th 2016 at 9:44 pm. Reason: added to the post
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:48 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by not2old
put a timer on the fridge so its off on the 'on peak' Fridges burn lotsa kwh

In the summer always leave the furnace fan running when the AC is on. Switch the AC off when you go to bed & leave the fan running at all times

For those that have an electric stove, do not use the 'big 30" wide oven part' 'it definitely eats away at the Kwh' Instead go get a counter top cyclonic oven for roasting, baking etc, payback is fast. I bought ours at the thrift store.

A one burner (small compact) camper stove is also useful. We got ours from the local chinese market for $20+tax. A plate (big flat cookie tray) on top on the oven burners, the small butane bottle that fires up the poratable stove will cost way less than using a stove plate element.

Our fridge is close to death so we've bought a new one, it's supposedly more efficient. I'd never thought of turning it off though. We got rid of the small chest freezer and I expected to see a difference from that but we haven't.

We're pretty clued up on heating and cooling issues so we're ok there.

I've just bought an electric pressure cooker which I'm liking so far. That would save hydro for those who cook with electric, whole chicken cooked in 30 minutes.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 9:54 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Bats @ post #43... good one

couple more tips that I had posted on previous, maybe will help JS

The telephone socket on the wall can be used to power LED lights.... free lighting, low current, works fine. Google is your friend on this one 'how to do it'

I have this when the power goes out connected to a string of white/clear LED xmas lights.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

We don't have peak of peak pricing here. BC Hydro seems to have gone a different route using tiers, use the power anytime of day but if you go over tier 1 limit, you pay a higher amount for tier 2. Being an apartment, we don't go over tier 1 generally.

But doesn't matter if you use the power at 2pm or 2am, the price is the same.

We are trying the curtain suggestion, we had some curtains in the store room downstairs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.