Reload this Page >

how to watch top gear...

how to watch top gear...

Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

UKCamaroSS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how to watch top gear...

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Does the samsung let you save if for later? The main problem with VPN's is that sometimes streaming can be frustrating as hell.
No, the Samsung doesn't let you save it - at least I've not found a way yet. I do use the pc version of the iplayer to save to a NAS device on occasion.

The cool thing with Overplay's latest service is that it is not a VPN - so there is no loss of speed. The service is a DNS - this is cheaper than the VPN, allows for a faster connection and is easier to set up - you just go to the properties of your network adapter and manually enter Overplays DNS address. The DNS makes it easy to use on the TV as well as pc's, xbox, apple tv etc. I don't think I would go back to using a full VPN.
I'm sure there are other vendors aside from Overplay offering DNS services.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:25 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

That does look very cool. When I upgrade I'll probably look into something like that; wont be for a few years though.

I've got a Mac mini and a dell zino for under the TV use (one under each TV). They are not bulky at all and go quite nicely on the TV stand.
I used to have PC's connected to the TV etc but since going to XBMC I'd recommend it to anyone and definitely wouldn't go back to that method.

I obviously use XBMC for streaming the movies and TV shows I have on my computer connected to the network but it's addons in terms of live streaming (Film On, Iplayer etc), 1 channel for movies and TV Shows, my son can live stream any hockey or soccer game he wants without any subscription etc etc are second to none.

Last edited by Animal; Feb 11th 2013 at 3:29 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:28 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also with Overplay.

Overplay Link

and found them to be great and very helpful when I was setting up my system at first.

I don't use their full VPN service either and the only thing I couldn't get to work with just Smart DNS was catchuptv (but it does with the full VPN) - which is't an issue as I've got other sites that do the same thing.

I don't use Netflix but another benefit of Smart DNS is that without any changing any settings it will still allow Netflix content to be US based even though it is pointing to being UK based IP address.

Last edited by Animal; Feb 11th 2013 at 3:42 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

UKCamaroSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Animal
I'm also with Overplay.

Overplay Link

and found them to be great and very helpful when I was setting up my system at first.

I don't use their full VPN service either and the only thing I couldn't get to work with just Smart DNS was catchuptv (but it does with the full VPN) - which is't an issue as I've got other sites that do the same thing.
I've just seen your post at the beginning of the thread about XBMC - very interesting - I'll need to give that a try
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have PC's connected to the TV etc but since going to XBMC I'd recommend it to anyone and definitely wouldn't go back to that method.
For my main TV I'll always have a computer. If I'm not working, all of my browsing + computer use is from the couch. Although, by the time 4k becomes standard TV's will just have android (or something like it) built in as standard and I won't need anything under it when I upgrade.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:10 pm
I said what ?!

For my main TV I'll always have a computer. If I'm not working, all of my browsing + computer use is from the couch. Although, by the time 4k becomes standard TV's will just have android (or something like it) built in as standard and I won't need anything under it when I upgrade.
I can show exactly what is on my Ipad screen (or laptop actually) to the TV so can browse that way from the couch and see on the TV.

I also use the ipad or iphone (or other smart phone or PC) to control XBMC and what is playing in terms of video or music.

One of my XBMC's is connected directly to my surround sound system so from anywhere in the house I can use the ipad/phone etc to play whichever music I want and the TV doesn't have to be switched on - great for parties.

there are a couple of Smart TV HDMI sticks available that plug straight into the USB on a TV and have a cut down version of android on that can do all your browsing , XBMC etc. They arent' expensive but never used one myself.

Last edited by Animal; Feb 11th 2013 at 5:19 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I can show exactly what is on my Ipad screen (or laptop actually) to the TV so can browse that way from the couch and see on the TV.
Sure, I can do that with my nexus 10 but I never do. Personally I find the lack of a proper keyboard on touch screen devices too much of a PITA to use for more than a couple of words at a time (I wouldn't have wanted to write this long post on a tablet!). Other people don't mind that so much though so it's a good solution for them.

My set up is:
TV + PC + wireless Keyboard with integrated trackpad + Remote.

The remote starts windows media centre automatically and works well with it. It's a pity that iplayer desktop doesn't work with the remote, but almost everything can be downloaded as a wmv now anyway so it's not such a big deal. For browsing I use the keyboard.

The other TV is the same except it's a mac + xbmc + mac remote. XBMC runs pretty much full time on it; consequently if the mac ever dies I'll get a dedicated device to replace it.

Last edited by Alan2005; Feb 11th 2013 at 5:31 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:32 pm
I said what ?!

Sure, I can do that with my nexus 10 but I never do. Personally I find the lack of a proper keyboard on touch screen devices too much of a PITA to use for more than a couple of words at a time. Other people don't mind that so much though so it's a good solution for them.

My set up is:
TV + PC + wireless Keyboard with integrated trackpad + Remote.

The remote starts windows media centre automatically and works well with it. It's a pity that iplayer desktop doesn't work with the remote, but almost everything can be downloaded as a wmv now anyway so it's not such a big deal. For browsing I use the keyboard.

The other TV is the same except it's a mac + xbmc + mac remote. XBMC runs pretty much full time on it; consequently if the mac ever dies I'll get a dedicated device to replace it.
Your all over it then

I prefer a keyboard when browsing too and have a small wireless keyboard/trackpad for typing onto the TV screen rather than the ipad.

The samsung TV remote works directly with my XBMC so no need for a seperate remote for that (and can use the wireless keyboard if I need to search for a movie etc)
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:39 pm

The samsung TV remote works directly with my XBMC so no need for a seperate remote for that (and can use the wireless keyboard if I need to search for a movie etc)
That's quite nice. I'm not sure if WMC would support a remote that wasn't a standard windows one. It's IR though, so it might be possible - maybe I'll look into it.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKCamaroSS
We set it up on our Samsung smart tv - we set the TV's country to the UK and use Overplay VPN's DNS service which is $5 per month, this lets us watch iplayer, itv, c4 etc directly through the TV, no pc required, and it's super easy to set up. Once setup, it's super easy to watch, as you use the Samsung remote.
Sounds good. How much and screen size for these smart tvs?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

That's amazing. Well done.
Yeah I thought it was pretty amazing , Since the show had barely finished in the UK .
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Sounds good. How much and screen size for these smart tvs?
Most new TV's are "smart" now-a-days.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:55 am
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

just to update. (and baffled by all the tech talk TBH) i gave up trying to torrent it, it took all day, and then failed, so i did it again carefully following instructions and still didnt get anywhere so i bit the bullett and used expatsheild to watch it on iplayer. it buffers in the middle of the sentences sometimes, which somewhat ruins jeremys comic genius but i can watch it within an hour of it being on in uk and on dh's laptop its not too small.

clearly im not as web savvy as i thought i was.