Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how to watch top gear...

how to watch top gear...

Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:26 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to watch top gear...

Originally Posted by bats
The trouble with HD downloads is that they eat up your badwidth allowance. We are on the maximum from Bell, 125Gb which is just Ok
That is true for some but I'm lucky with a 20+mbps download speed that is uncapped (thankfully...)

Last edited by Animal; Jan 29th 2013 at 5:29 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:35 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
That is true for some but I'm lucky with a 20+mbps download speed that is uncapped (thankfully...)
Hah, jealous. Who are you with? Mind you we are lucky to get high speed at all
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

A simple and none techno way would be to burn onto a DVD and watch through your DVD player onto the TV.
If the TV has a USB port you could put it on a stick and use that

I use a PS3, initially via the USB port (similar to what I mentioned above) and then via the network off a NAS (which is excellent)
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
Have been watching Utopia (c4)
Me too...great so far. So much menace.

I expect to be able to download and watch tonight's episode later tonight or tomorrow.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 7:54 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Hah, jealous. Who are you with? Mind you we are lucky to get high speed at all
Nexicom. They installed the cables in October and went live in November. Great service and no complaints at all for $45 a month.

Originally Posted by energysolutions
If the TV has a USB port you could put it on a stick and use that

I use a PS3, initially via the USB port (similar to what I mentioned above) and then via the network off a NAS (which is excellent)
True - never thought of the USB in the back of the TV actually. I've never needed to use it as I have the NAS set-up and the TV can stream from that directly.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

My new Samsung 'Smart TV' I bought here doesn't (not that smart then !)but my sons TV/Monitor he brought from the UK and uses for his PC has - though he uses the HDMI.
Its one of those things that the more expensive models in the range will include

For example, my mate (a real Mr Lastminute.com) phoned to ask me how best to connect his computer to his TV (we had both bought Panasonic TVs around the same time although his cost a little less - we just assumed he`d got a bargain)

My first suggestion was HDMI but this wasnt an option as generally most PCs dont have an HDMI out

I then suggested VGA but he said his TV didnt seem to have one (mine definitely did) - I thought he was just being daft and asked him to look at the list of "sources" - turns out he didnt have a PC in option

That explained the cheaper price........
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:16 pm
I said what ?!

Its one of those things that the more expensive models in the range will include
Are you calling me cheap ..... No need to answer that
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you calling me cheap ..... No need to answer that
Its funny how it works - I have the "PC IN"/VGA port and have literally never used it (I did hook up my laptop via HDMI a couple of times before I "progressed")

My mate, on the other hand could really use a "PC IN"/VGA port and he doesnt have one so he has to make do with some sort of elaborate convertor with suspect quality

It pays to ensure that what you get fits your needs and I suspect your bases are well covered.......
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:32 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Live in the UK and buy a TV and a TV license. Make sure you have access to an electrical plug socket too.

Enjoy !!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Converting files is faffing. In this day and age you should expect media players do have the right codecs.
Right last reply and I'm outta here

I agree with the right codecs things would be simpler , But I've got to work with what I have ie Apple TV2 un-jailbroken connected to my 5 yr old Panny via Yamaha sound receiver

Its takes all of 3 clicks of a mouse to convert an avi file to the right format then drag file into ITunes , You could even batch convert , All this is happening while Im doing other stuff on the Mac . Plus I always have the file stored and ready to watch again if need be , So no streaming and running into buffering problems especially if you have an unstable internet connection. I'm on a 10MB package and still have problems streaming stuff.

I play all my music collection through Apple TV then into 7.1 surround system, I can use Apple lossless files and it sounds great , So everything I have is geared to what I need it to do including renting movies from Itunes and playing them likewise .

So I ain't about to go out and spend money on something I don't need or want just because some bloke on the internet says I'm faffing .

For me this is the easiest and most simple way of doing what I want to achieve .

BTW the Colin McRae (racing legends ) programme was ten times better than TG ....IMO

Last edited by kb33; Jan 29th 2013 at 11:55 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 4:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny how it works - I have the "PC IN"/VGA port and have literally never used it (I did hook up my laptop via HDMI a couple of times before I "progressed")

My mate, on the other hand could really use a "PC IN"/VGA port and he doesnt have one so he has to make do with some sort of elaborate convertor with suspect quality

It pays to ensure that what you get fits your needs and I suspect your bases are well covered.......
I used VGA for ages. So nice HDMI being audio as well - V handy.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

I use WD LIVE TV conected to my NAS drive, which is the WD My Book Live 2TB The WD TV Live plays all videos without converting!!!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

A good program i use is to automatically download TV episodes is TED

http://www.totalhtpc.com/torrent-epi...how-downloads/
Old Feb 7th 2013, 8:26 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Will some please tell me again, and very,very simply. How do I download TV shows? We watch on linebut sometimes they are all of a judder. I looked on Channel 4 and clickjed on Download, then got the software they told me to which doesn't seem to work. Now I can't see where to click to download on C4 site. I also want to download Bones from CBS but cannot see how.

Help please.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Will some please tell me again, and very,very simply. How do I download TV shows?
The easiest for me is 1channel.

Don't get put off by the crap on the front page. There's an awful lit of people uploading all sorts of crap. Use the 'search' function. Just remember you have to search for movies under movies and TV under TV. Sounds obvious but you don't need to do this on other sites. But then other sites aren't as good.

Ignore the "Sponsor" links.

If you have a clever download manager (That part I don't know - maybe someone else can help) you can click 'watch' and a nice little bar means you can download. This is very useful as some either don't have a normal download option or you can only get it by paying.

You really need to "play" (practice) as they don't all behave the same but you quickly get used to it.

Or identify a problem and ask for a solution.

I love the site.

I also want to download Bones from CBS but cannot see how.
For US shows (usually blocked across border) that play on CTV, you can actually stream them from the CTV site.

Last tip....on google, search on "watch (name of show/movie)" and that will often take you straight to a site that you can watch/download from.

Strangely, even 1channel when the search has revealed no result.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:27 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The easiest for me is 1channel.

Don't get put off by the crap on the front page. There's an awful lit of people uploading all sorts of crap. Use the 'search' function. Just remember you have to search for movies under movies and TV under TV. Sounds obvious but you don't need to do this on other sites. But then other sites aren't as good.

Ignore the "Sponsor" links.

If you have a clever download manager (That part I don't know - maybe someone else can help) you can click 'watch' and a nice little bar means you can download. This is very useful as some either don't have a normal download option or you can only get it by paying.

You really need to "play" (practice) as they don't all behave the same but you quickly get used to it

Or identify a problem and ask for a solution.

I love the site.

For US shows (usually blocked across border) that play on CTV, you can actually stream them from the CTV site.

Last tip....on google, search on "watch (name of show/movie)" and that will often take you straight to a site that you can watch/download from.

Strangely even 1channel when the search has revealed no result.
Thanks, w e currently stream everything but I want some downloaded stuff for those non I ternet moments.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.