How to tell an 11 year old you are emigrating

How to tell an 11 year old you are emigrating

Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:12 am
Just Joined

Ellypop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to tell an 11 year old you are emigrating

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
My thoughts exactly...........
How did you get through the medicals without telling a 11yr old what they was for ???
wow i am shocked, i know that alot of people do this move differently, but i have always included my kids, yep the oldest is 11 as well, my other 2 younger, but they all had a input into the move over and we addressed there fears from the beginning, they came on the recci trips no matter how hard that was, also made sure they knew what we was doing, as we needed to know if they wanted to do it as much as we wanted it............
All i can say is good luck, kids adapt well

LB
The thing is, when we applied we knew it would be c. a 4 year process - our oldest was 7! When we tell him now we still have 10 months until we go out permanently, quite long enough we felt for children to get used to the idea. We didn't want years of them possibly experiencing all the good things in life in the UK (friends, school etc) as something that wasn't going to last. As for medicals, we just said it was to do with insurance. As we already have a holiday house in Canada it has always been natural to talk about Canada and that 'Mummy and Daddy need to go and sort some things out on the house' on the couple of occasions we have gone on recces without children (to look at schools, house hunt etc). We did not want to tell them until we knew where we would be living, where schools were etc as we want to be able to have reassuring answers to some of their likely most immediate qu's. Let's hope we got that right!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

Hi - we're planning on moving over to NS at Christmas with our three children of 11, 8 and 3 (although OHs business partner has today started backtracking on our buy out of the business). We've told them right from the start what the plan was and it was my 8yr old who really didn't want to go. I took him and his 11 year old sister over last October break with him threatening to refuse to get on the plane.

By day 2 he was saying how he did really like Canada. I arranged for them to have a day at school (with the idea that if they didn't like it, we could start to consider other options) and that was the highlight of the break for both children. The 11year has been in email contact with other girls she met there for the last year and has built up some relationships that way - I would really encourage you to think about doing this for your son.

Now we actually have visas our eight year old is eager to go and the 11 year old is full of the doubts and emotions are running high!

Good luck!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Ellypop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merry
Hi - we're planning on moving over to NS at Christmas with our three children of 11, 8 and 3 (although OHs business partner has today started backtracking on our buy out of the business). We've told them right from the start what the plan was and it was my 8yr old who really didn't want to go. I took him and his 11 year old sister over last October break with him threatening to refuse to get on the plane.

By day 2 he was saying how he did really like Canada. I arranged for them to have a day at school (with the idea that if they didn't like it, we could start to consider other options) and that was the highlight of the break for both children. The 11year has been in email contact with other girls she met there for the last year and has built up some relationships that way - I would really encourage you to think about doing this for your son.

Now we actually have visas our eight year old is eager to go and the 11 year old is full of the doubts and emotions are running high!

Good luck!
Thanks for this. Whereabouts in NS are you moving to? Our boys have already been over to NS 7-8 times and we have travelled around quite a bit. Is your 11 year old already Yr 7?

I'm just finalising my Goods Accompanying now!
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

will send a PM
Old Oct 5th 2009, 1:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I moved around fairly often as a kid, from one end of the UK to the other a few times. Its not ideal leaving old friends behind, but you make new ones and get on with life.

To an 11 year old is moving 400 miles any different to moving 4000 miles?

Just tell them, explain why, then try and support them and get them involved with their new community. What else can you do?

I suppose you could tell them you are all going on a family vacation to Canada, and then forget to come home?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

antfarm is an unknown quantity at this point

We have an 11 year old and are planning on moving out next year. Right up to a visit this year (Where we Landed) we just shrugged it off and said very little. We always said we were thinking about it and made very little of it. Mainly because until you have those visas there is a lot of uncertainty.

When it came to receiving the visa's we gradually opened up more and explained that while it is still not certain we will move we are considering it and while on holiday we will be looking at properties and schools so we can get a flavour. We made him feel he was particapating in the decision and have just kept talking about it really.

We are still telling him that it is not certain yet but likely so he can get used to the idea.

In a nut shell I suppose I am saying be honest but don't go overkill immediately. Let him\her get used to the idea.

Tom