Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How To Set Up Utilities In Canada? (Alberta-related issue)

How To Set Up Utilities In Canada? (Alberta-related issue)

Old Jul 25th 2022, 11:02 am
Just Joined

New Calgarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How To Set Up Utilities In Canada? (Alberta-related issue)

Hello!

This might come across as a naïve question to ask the British Expats of Canada! But, I am really overwhelmed by it. We bought a house in Alberta. 'Possession Day', as they say in Canada is not until mid-August 2022. But, our realtor advised us to set up all the utilities as soon as possible. My wife lives in Alberta while I am in the UK. As she works full time, I am doing most of the work remotely to do with the purchase of this house. And I am not familiar with the way you set up utilities in Canada. It might be similar to what we have in England. But, I am not sure. I have been reading content online about energy supplies in Alberta. However, so far, I have not come across any websites or YouTube videos that offer practical advice on this topic for a newbie.

So, what advice would you give me. Have you done this when you first moved to Canada? Is it as simple as phoning a few energy providers and discussing what is available?

The website energyrates.ca gives a basic introduction to how the energy market works in Alberta. But, I want to know things such as whether you could get electricity, gas and water all from the same provider. In England, I get my electricity and gas from British Gas and the water from Affinity Water.

One might think this should be simple to set up utilities. But, I want to be careful before I sign up for anything. So, any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Here is the link to one website I found helpful. But, I want to hear from British expats who gone through this process.

https://energyrates.ca/compare-curre...ty-gas-canada/

Old Jul 25th 2022, 12:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How To Set Up Utilities In Canada? (Alberta-related issue)

I'm not British and have never been to Canada (that's a good start isn't it ) But this website might be useful, I started to read the one you linked to but got a headache! This one seems to in a more user-friendly format.
https://ucahelps.alberta.ca/Resident...Moving_In.aspx
Old Jul 25th 2022, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New Calgarian
Hello!

This might come across as a naïve question to ask the British Expats of Canada! But, I am really overwhelmed by it. We bought a house in Alberta. 'Possession Day', as they say in Canada is not until mid-August 2022. But, our realtor advised us to set up all the utilities as soon as possible. My wife lives in Alberta while I am in the UK. As she works full time, I am doing most of the work remotely to do with the purchase of this house. And I am not familiar with the way you set up utilities in Canada. It might be similar to what we have in England. But, I am not sure. I have been reading content online about energy supplies in Alberta. However, so far, I have not come across any websites or YouTube videos that offer practical advice on this topic for a newbie.

So, what advice would you give me. Have you done this when you first moved to Canada? Is it as simple as phoning a few energy providers and discussing what is available?

The website energyrates.ca gives a basic introduction to how the energy market works in Alberta. But, I want to know things such as whether you could get electricity, gas and water all from the same provider. In England, I get my electricity and gas from British Gas and the water from Affinity Water.

One might think this should be simple to set up utilities. But, I want to be careful before I sign up for anything. So, any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Here is the link to one website I found helpful. But, I want to hear from British expats who gone through this process.

https://energyrates.ca/compare-curre...ty-gas-canada/
If you don't set anything up, the utilities will continue and, when you receive your first invoice, there will be details as to what you need to do then.

If you wish to switch from the current provider, that shouldn't be too difficult but they may require access to information such as your meter's number, which you are unlikely to have at this time.

Depending upon where you are, you may, or may not, be able to obtain different services from multiple providers.

For example, IIRC, in Calgary, you have no choice of where you obtain your water from, but you have a number of options for gas, electricity, cable, telephone, internet, etc.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm not British and have never been to Canada (that's a good start isn't it ) But this website might be useful, I started to read the one you linked to but got a headache! This one seems to in a more user-friendly format.
https://ucahelps.alberta.ca/Resident...Moving_In.aspx

spouse of scouse Thanks for that response. For someone who is not British and never been to Canada, you are certainly good at using Google!

And that link is useful.
Old Jul 26th 2022, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you don't set anything up, the utilities will continue and, when you receive your first invoice, there will be details as to what you need to do then.

If you wish to switch from the current provider, that shouldn't be too difficult but they may require access to information such as your meter's number, which you are unlikely to have at this time.

Depending upon where you are, you may, or may not, be able to obtain different services from multiple providers.

For example, IIRC, in Calgary, you have no choice of where you obtain your water from, but you have a number of options for gas, electricity, cable, telephone, internet, etc.
Almost Canadian Thank you for this response.

A day after posting this question to this forum, I had a live chat with two energy providers in Alberta: ATCO Energy and ENMAX. As I am in England, I did not want to phone their customer care team. Instead, the live chat was useful.

It was a good learning experience. The rates were not much different between these two companies. I chose ATCO Energy as they were a bit cheaper and their customer service team is called "Customer Happiness." Corny? Yes. But, things like that get the edge!

Old Jul 29th 2022, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just be aware that the city of Calgary have contracted ENMAX to provide billing for their water services, as per https://www.calgary.ca/water/custome...-accounts.html
So your gas & electric will be from ATCO but your water bill will come from ENMAX.

I know this because I've just moved to Calgary from Airdrie (25km north). I had switched my gas & electric from Direct Energy to ENMAX (fixed rate) in January, and are staying with them now I've moved to Calgary. I didn't have to do anything to set up the water account - by just changing my address with ENMAX from Airdrie to Calgary, they automatically set up my water contract, it was really easy.

Old Aug 1st 2022, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

As others said, it helps to know where in Alberta (a province around 3 times the size of the entire UK) you intend to live.

In Edmonton, you only have a choice on gas - electricity and water are handled by Epcor (City of Edmonton utility company) - and the easiest is to go with Direct Energy. ATCO is generally thought of as being a power distribution company, although they have branched out into retail power too.

In rural areas, your choice might also be limited to Direct Energy Regulated Services (the power company of 'last resort' for areas not served by any other provider). I'm not sure what the deal might be in places like Lethbridge, Fort Mac, or Red Deer - which is why it's helpful to know where you'll settle.