Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to: renew your UK passport from Canada

How to: renew your UK passport from Canada

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

yakkiebush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to: renew your UK passport from Canada

Ah ok ,I sent it off anyway not to fussed if it sits in they’re office .i fully understand these times .
i was just afraid I would have to start from Scratch after the old one expired ?
As that would beyond my ability.
getting stressed even thinking about it lol.
Thanks again folks
Rob
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

I was under the impression that if it expired,you’d have to start all over again.
cheers
Rob
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yakkiebush
I was under the impression that if it expired,you’d have to start all over again.
cheers
Rob
just checked the website again there.it doesn’t say not to apply .
it says things can be delayed.no problem with me👍😂
have a great day folks
Rob
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 12:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Just sent my passport of to Durham today.Canada post are only offering express post now.
Cost me About $67.00 with 10 per cent discount.
no other shipping option was available .found that odd.
Yes, that is odd. I just used the "find a rate" feature and the Registered option - total cost about $25 - is still shown.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 1:23 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

cheers
Rob
I think, from memory, that you can apply for a renewal if your passport has expired within the last 12 months. You only have to start from scratch if there's been a big gap where you've not had a valid passport.

I know the Canadian system is similar, which is probably just as well as the passport service in Canada has effectively closed down; there'll be a massive backlog when it all opens up again, I now have two Canadian passports in my household which need renewing. I did a UK renewal end of Feb/beginning of March just before everything kicked off and that took just over 2 weeks end to end - quicker than the lead time quoted on the UK passport service website.
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes, that is odd. I just used the "find a rate" feature and the Registered option - total cost about $25 - is still shown.
It just changed in the last few days,
so not on the web the site yet
Its all about social distancing.For the person that has to sign.👍
Old Apr 23rd 2020, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I think, from memory, that you can apply for a renewal if your passport has expired within the last 12 months. You only have to start from scratch if there's been a big gap where you've not had a valid passport.

I know the Canadian system is similar, which is probably just as well as the passport service in Canada has effectively closed down; there'll be a massive backlog when it all opens up again, I now have two Canadian passports in my household which need renewing. I did a UK renewal end of Feb/beginning of March just before everything kicked off and that took just over 2 weeks end to end - quicker than the lead time quoted on the UK passport service website.
thanks for the reply.it really is a crazy time for people,governments,etc.
surely there has to be a grace period for all this mess.
cheers and best of luck
Rob
Old Apr 24th 2020, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
cheers
Rob

It used to be that you had to do a first time application if your British passport was expired more than 10 years - which, for a 10 year passport, meant that it had been issued more than 20 years ago! Now it looks like the rule has been re-worded so that only handwritten passports don't apply for the renewal process - unless the current passport is damaged or some other major details have since changed or your appearance has changed beyond recognition.

See:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...for-a-passport
https://assets.publishing.service.go...52__11.19_.pdf

Renewal
This applies if:
  • your existing British passport isn’t damaged AND
  • your name, date of birth, place of birth, gender, appearance and nationality hasn’t changed AND
  • you aren’t renewing a passport that is handwritten. If you are renewing a handwritten passport, see page 3 ‘First British Passport’.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 24th 2020 at 3:53 am.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It used to be that you had to do a first time application if your British passport was expired more than 10 years - which, for a 10 year passport, meant that it had been issued more than 20 years ago! Now it looks like the rule has been re-worded so that only handwritten passports don't apply for the renewal process - unless the current passport is damaged or some other major details have since changed or your appearance has changed beyond recognition.

See:

Renewal
This applies if:
  • your name, date of birth, place of birth, gender, appearance and nationality hasn’t changed AND
  • you aren’t renewing a passport that is handwritten. If you are renewing a handwritten passport, see page 3 ‘First British Passport’.
Thanks for finding that information - very reassuring. I’d decided to leave my renewal until March, when I would be in Europe anyway and could post from here, rather than Canada. We all know what happened then and the renewals page is recommending not submitting passports at present unless urgent, to allow them to concentrate on those.
Old Apr 24th 2020, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed

See:

Renewal
This applies if:
Thanks for that info Marylandned from one Belfast man to another.
like I say I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed with computers.lol.
just so glad I manged to ship it off safely.no hurry for it back.just hated the thought of starting fresh lol.
ATB
Rob
Old May 4th 2020, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Passport just arrived in Durham passport office.
thirteen days from Windsor,On to Durham with express post.
now apparently the uk passport email you for further info.
cheers gang and keep the old head held high.
Rob
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Passport has been printed and shipped on 12th June.
Thats the last text I got .Nothing yet from the courier service Dhl I believe they use.
I take it DHL send you the tracking number and not the UK passport office.
Anyway almost two months since I sent it off.
Keep well Folks
Rob
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Passport has been printed and shipped on 12th June.
Thats the last text I got .Nothing yet from the courier service Dhl I believe they use.
I take it DHL send you the tracking number and not the UK passport office.
Anyway almost two months since I sent it off.
Keep well Folks
Rob
I happened to check a Twitter feed over weekend which was quoting 28/29 days to renew an adult UK passport so that’s in line with your experience.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi Twitcher I take it them tweets are From the UK .
mine has been about 55 days now.
HMPO has said it has been shipped on 12 th June by courier no mention of which one or tracking so another waiting game for tracking awaits lol.
ATB
Rob
Old Jun 15th 2020, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Twitcher I take it them tweets are From the UK .
mine has been about 55 days now.
HMPO has said it has been shipped on 12 th June by courier no mention of which one or tracking so another waiting game for tracking awaits lol.
ATB
Rob
I think the 28/28 would be working days so about 6 weeks. And not sure when that starts - when you apply or when they receive your passport? Or finishes - when they dispatch or you receive? 🤔 Good that it’s on the way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.