Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how to receive a container (into Montreal port)?

Wikiposts

how to receive a container (into Montreal port)?

Old Apr 27th 2012, 2:10 am
Just Joined

WW-AB-uk-ca is an unknown quantity at this point
Question how to receive a container (into Montreal port)?

Help

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of what is needed to receive a shipping container?

I've just had a quote to pack and ship my personal effects in a 20' container direct to Montreal port.
The UK shipper doesn't arrange destination services at the Montreal end.
I'm having difficulty finding out exactly what services I'd require, or what I can do myself.

Shipping agent ? Port agent ? Cargo broker ? Customs broker ? Movers ?

Shipping agents were mentioned so I called a couple of Montreal maritime agents. The ones I called didn't deal with personal effects, couldn't tell me who could and were as confused as me as to what I was asking for.

Port agent / cargo broker - no idea if I need them or where to find them. I don't know exactly where my shipment would arrive.

Customs broker - do I need one for personal effects?
Can't I just go to Customs House (Youville off McGill - 2 mins from my office) to sort out the paperwork then present it at the port?

People I ask just refer me to movers / demenagement companies. The ones I've talked to say that they can help with the unpack and move once I give them the date and place, but I'd have to arrange that.

I feel like I'm going round in circles.

Compared to my quotes for groupage shipping, the container costs a little more but is appealing because it is quick as goes direct to Montreal (rather than Toronto and road) and involves less handling of individual items.

One final question - I'd prefer to unpack the container at the port into a van rather than have it delivered; do I need to arrange port access to do that (guess I need my pass-port)?

Thanks for any help,

Will

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2012 at 2:31 am. Reason: fixed smiley
Old Apr 27th 2012, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to receive a container (into Montreal port)?

You need the services of a freight forwarder.
You will not be allowed to unpack the container at the port and load it into a van.
You present the paperwork at the nearest CBSA office not at the port.
Once cleared container will be delivered to your address or to a warehouse if you prefer.
So phone around and ask for rates.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks FL,

> You need the services of a freight forwarder.
Again, having difficulty finding which ones will do personal effects.

> You will not be allowed to unpack the container at the port and load it into a van.
I guessed not. But, if not myself, personally, can I or the forwarder arrange for a moving company or other approved people to unpack to a van at port? I'm assuming that the container gets held in a warehouse somewhere at the port.

> You present the paperwork at the nearest CBSA office not at the port.
OK, easy, the CBSA office is right upstairs from Customs in Montreal.

> Once cleared container will be delivered to your address or to a warehouse if you prefer.
The stuff is going to a self-storage entrepot. I've viewed a few but haven't booked. All in Montreal and close to the port.

> So phone around and ask for rates.
OK, I'll google, call round and report back,

Will
Old Apr 27th 2012, 5:45 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WW-AB-uk-ca
Thanks FL,

> You need the services of a freight forwarder.
Again, having difficulty finding which ones will do personal effects.

> You will not be allowed to unpack the container at the port and load it into a van.
I guessed not. But, if not myself, personally, can I or the forwarder arrange for a moving company or other approved people to unpack to a van at port? I'm assuming that the container gets held in a warehouse somewhere at the port.

> You present the paperwork at the nearest CBSA office not at the port.
OK, easy, the CBSA office is right upstairs from Customs in Montreal.

> Once cleared container will be delivered to your address or to a warehouse if you prefer.
The stuff is going to a self-storage entrepot. I've viewed a few but haven't booked. All in Montreal and close to the port.

> So phone around and ask for rates.
OK, I'll google, call round and report back,

Will
Normally what happens is the container is put on the back of a flatbed and transported to your destination.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Clinique might be able to help.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Thanks Lancanstrian Bormer, looks like I need three posts to PM.