Reload this Page >

Confused by electrical!

Confused by electrical!

Old Jan 13th 2018, 10:59 am
Just Joined

bijoustrollette is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Confused by electrical!

Hi all,

I'm a bit confused by the electrical side of things and am trying to organise what to bring with us to Canada. I've read the compatibility of good article, but still a bit confused. Can some electrical genius tell me whether the below are likely to work in Canada (without going down the transformer route)?

One is a food mixer, one an electric piano and one a coffee machine.

Thanks in advance and have a great day everyone
Attached Thumbnails Confused by electrical!-mixer.jpg   Confused by electrical!-piano.jpg   Confused by electrical!-coffee.jpg  
Old Jan 13th 2018, 11:53 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused by electrical!

The mixer is for UK voltage only and will not work here without a transformer or equivalent. Just buy a new mixer here.
The specifications for the piano look OK. Voltage and frequency are compatible. If this is just a power block for the piano then you can buy an equivalent power block here.
The coffee machine is UK voltage only. Waste of time bringing it and waste of transformer resources. Just get a new one here.
Whatever you bring, you still likely need adapters for the physical plug fittings. Also make sure they are compliant with Canadian safety standards.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Note that most plug fittings are two pin ............ except for large appliances such as the range.

What are the plugs in the UK?? They were 3 pin when I left in 1967.
Old Jan 13th 2018, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
What are the plugs in the UK?? They were 3 pin when I left in 1967.
Yep - same as when you left.

Three square pins, much more widely spaced that Canadian and a different shape, no possibility of plugging a UK plug into a 3-pin Canadian socket!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Yep - same as when you left.

Three square pins, much more widely spaced that Canadian and a different shape, no possibility of plugging a UK plug into a 3-pin Canadian socket!
Before I left home to go to university, my dad sat me down and taught me how to change a plug .......... most small appliances (and some larger ones) came with no plug on the end!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Before I left home to go to university, my dad sat me down and taught me how to change a plug .......... most small appliances (and some larger ones) came with no plug on the end!
Doesn't happen now (but I well remember when it did)! All hard wired and sealed plugs - has been for at least the last 10 years!
Old Jan 14th 2018, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=scilly;12418257]Note that most plug fittings are two pin ............ except for large appliances such as the range.
[QUOTE]
Be careful when using a Cooker Range or Clothes Dryer female plug as they are generally 240 VAC.
Don't directly plug a 120 VAC nor a UK 240 VAC appliance into them.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Can_Fam is an unknown quantity at this point

Any of those appliances will work in Canada, as they are all rated for 60Hz, and either 120V or 240V. You will obviously need to change the cord end to match the proper wall receptacle each one will need.
Only your coffee maker has an approved certification for "Canadian electrical devices", so if you ever did have a fire or accident with the other two, your insurance company would probably not cover your damages.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Can_Fam
so if you ever did have a fire or accident with the other two, your insurance company would probably not cover your damages.
Do you have an example of such a case? I ask because, when this claim was made here before, I went and asked a claims adjuster with umpteen years of Canadian experience if this had ever happened. It seems to happen only in the internet.

That said, the difference between the price of a plug and the price of a coffee machine is close to zero and the mixer fails my rule of thumb "if it spins or heats up, don't bother bringing it".

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 14th 2018 at 11:10 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:56 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Do you have an example of such a case? I ask because, when this claim was made here before, I went and asked a claims adjuster with umpteen years of Canadian experience if this had ever happened. It seems to happen only in the internet.
I remember people on here getting overly excited about this and saying it never happened before. Thing is, who wants to be the first one it happens to? We know insurance companies try to weasel out of things, so I bet it could easily occur.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 12:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I remember people on here getting overly excited about this and saying it never happened before. Thing is, who wants to be the first one it happens to? We know insurance companies try to weasel out of things, so I bet it could easily occur.
Easily? Let's see, a little over half the population of the GTA immigrated Suppose half of them brought an electrical appliance with them. If household claims are randomly distributed across the population that suggests that, if the idea that companies considered appliance origin in claims analysis had any merit, a quarter of household claims could have been declined on this pretext. And that's not counting foreign appliances acquired by means other than carrying them on arrival.

No claims have been declined on this basis. The probability of it happening is on is on the level of Lord Lucan riding by on Shergar.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Regardless ............. I seriously would not consider bringing any electrical appliance, large or small over here
Old Jan 15th 2018, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless ............. I seriously would not consider bringing any electrical appliance, large or small over here
With the exception of devises that are rated for both sets of voltages at 60hz and use a power brick (laptops, games consoles etc.). These can be used and just normally need you to buy a North American power brick.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 6:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when this topic comes up. It's my favourite! My advice would be the absolute opposite. By either changing the plug to a North American one or using a small transformer, my experience was that virtually everything we brought with us worked either well or very well. Saved us a fortune during those expensive first few years. Turned out I had a 220v power supply in my garage as well, so all my power tools worked OK too.
Old Jan 15th 2018, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Can_Fam is an unknown quantity at this point

Upon some further googling, prompted by dbd33, it seems that most insurance companies only care about the house wiring, not what is actually plugged in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.