Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

Old Jun 13th 2012, 12:48 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How often does one shovel snow in the GTA?

My parents live in Oakville, they didn't have to shovel their driveway once last year. There was never enough snowfall to warrant it. The previous year I think they were out 1-2 times at most.

Oakville does have the law as well that you have to keep your sidewalk clear - if you're lucky, nice neighbours tend to help out a bit with this one!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:32 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

EXCUSE ME! Can we really not talk snow in June, I mean seriously we have 7 months of winter we don't need to tempt the stuff the rest of the year

Actually a little interested in the replies as Ontario is on our possible future radar.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 9:36 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

With the greatest respect, if you're concerned about snow, maybe Canada (or at least anything East of the Rockies) isnt the right place for you.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:51 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

I used to like snow.

I moved to Canada.

That is all.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:16 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I used to like snow.

I moved to Canada.

That is all.
I completely understand how you feel
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:19 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
I used to like snow.

I moved to Canada.

That is all.
Well put.

I didn't mind it so much until I reached a certain age. I hate the f***ing stuff these days.

How often does it snow in the GTA? Too f***ing often.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:49 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Vancouver residents have no interest in this thread for numerous reasons
Sometimes we have to clear the sidewalk, maybe twice a year - but if you leave til after work it's usually all melted : )
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Sometimes we have to clear the sidewalk, maybe twice a year - but if you leave til after work it's usually all melted : )
You can go off some people you know
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:03 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
You can go off some people you know
mwah xxxxx
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:36 am
Just Joined

ralf12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. I thought that maybe people were out shoveling snow 2 to 3 times a week. So it is great to see it is not really an issue then.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ralf12
Thanks for all the replies. I thought that maybe people were out shoveling snow 2 to 3 times a week. So it is great to see it is not really an issue then.
It can be an issue. My experience was that you usually get around four weeks in the winter where it will be absolutely miserable. And I'll include in that, temperatures hovering around -20. And then some.

Still, there's always someone worse off. Calling Alberta...
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:21 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ralf12
How about 2-3 times a day? That's not unusual around here.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
How about 2-3 times a day? That's not unusual around here.
That's not unimaginable in the GTA either. It depends where you are, how bad the winter is, and whether or not you have a Lexus or a BMW. On all the various streets I lived on there was always one house where someone had a Lexus or BMW and was above shovelling snow. One BMW owner would park across the sidewalk he failed to shovel. We buried the car, fetching snow from gardens and neighbouring streets and climbing on it to complete the job.

In attractive parts of Toronto there's often a laneway behind the houses leading to the garages, at one time I was the only person in our three house laneway who used his car so I cleared it. That took over an hour several times a week. Later, in the country, admittedly just beyond the GTA, it took me four or five hours a week on the tractor to keep the driveway clear. In the suburbs houses often have the garage front and centre with a short driveway, to make it easy to drive in and out in winter. The people live in some sort of hutch thing tacked on the back of the garage which is, I suppose, a practical arrangement.

Last winter there was no snow to speak of but it would be naive to think that's the end of snowy winters in Canada.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Still, there's always someone worse off. Calling Alberta...
I don't think we get it too bad here in Calgary really (runs for cover). Or should I say, we don't get the volume of snow that more easterly friends seem to get.

We probably shovelled about 8 times this past winter, and only two of those were in the 15cm to20cm "dump" range. Then it's just bloody heavy. We don't really struggle on where to put the snow, though the ridges at the side of the road can be annoying and take days to melt.

I think the City of Calgary works on the premise that a chinook will come in a day or two to melt it, so they don't really need to plough the roads that much!

If we get snow in May, the sense of humour failure kicks larger than the actual white stuff.

Maybe further into Northern Alberta it's a different story? But they getter longer, warmer summers.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 1:14 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's not unimaginable in the GTA either. It depends where you are, how bad the winter is, and whether or not you have a Lexus or a BMW. On all the various streets I lived on there was always one house where someone had a Lexus or BMW and was above shovelling snow. One BMW owner would park across the sidewalk he failed to shovel. We buried the car, fetching snow from gardens and neighbouring streets and climbing on it to complete the job.

In attractive parts of Toronto there's often a laneway behind the houses leading to the garages, at one time I was the only person in our three house laneway who used his car so I cleared it. That took over an hour several times a week. Later, in the country, admittedly just beyond the GTA, it took me four or five hours a week on the tractor to keep the driveway clear. In the suburbs houses often have the garage front and centre with a short driveway, to make it easy to drive in and out in winter. The people live in some sort of hutch thing tacked on the back of the garage which is, I suppose, a practical arrangement.

Last winter there was no snow to speak of but it would be naive to think that's the end of snowy winters in Canada.
I think you just described my house. We don't use the garage as a garage. I don't think anyone ever did. Fortunately, the driveway is big enough to hold four cars. I may rent bits of it out next winter. Some of our neighbours have major parking problems. Lots of the kids have recently reached driving age. Most of the houses don't have enough driveway (guy across the road actually moved because of that). Some people wanted to widen their driveways, only to be told by the city that they couldn't. You can't park on the street in winter.

There were some seriously knackered front lawns this spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.