Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how often do you visit back home?

how often do you visit back home?

Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how often do you visit back home?

Once in 11 years. More out of duty than anything else. Mrs. JonboyE goes to see her mum and sister every year.

First four years we had lots of visits from my family. Some old friends came to visit in 2007. Mrs. JonboyE's sister and her daughter have been a couple of times - for 3 day visits. That is all.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:04 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here for 18 months now and up until now had no real desire to go back other than the occasional homesickness pang, but a very close friend had a baby a few weeks ago and its spurred me on to make my first trip home next week all on my own
My dad and OH parents came last year for a visit and my dad is back this summer for almost a month and an aunt is coming at the end of May so we have been quite lucky with visits, would like more though, but like it was said in an earlier post finances play a big part!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bellanova,
enjoy your trip to old blighty next week,a pity your visit is not near us .You would have been more than welcome , to enjoy some Scottish hospitality

Arty & Co

Originally Posted by Bellanova
We have been here for 18 months now and up until now had no real desire to go back other than the occasional homesickness pang, but a very close friend had a baby a few weeks ago and its spurred me on to make my first trip home next week all on my own
My dad and OH parents came last year for a visit and my dad is back this summer for almost a month and an aunt is coming at the end of May so we have been quite lucky with visits, would like more though, but like it was said in an earlier post finances play a big part!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:42 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Landed Jan 07 - mum and aunt visited Sept 07.

May 08 - mum came back.

April 2009 - I went home on my own for 8 days to have a good old catchup with friends and rellies. Had a blast but it was exhausting. Not homesick before or after my trip - enjoyed it though.

No visits from friends, although in 2008 my best friend and her hubby was booked on a Zoom flight but the company collapsed 2 weeks before their trip. Never re-booked, went to Cyprus instead

My former neighbours are coming over next month to visit their rellies in Halifax and should be heading up our way during their stay.

I am trying to decide whether to go back home later this year for a week (taking along my Canadian friends) or plan a trip to NYC instead and ask if any of my UK friends want to meet us there instead. I went to NYC last summer so am open to either place really.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

If you get a chance - go now while the Ca$ is so high against the UK£.
We went last week and were getting £1 = Ca$1.56 - best I've known for a while.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

WE did opposite when living in UK, every year we came to Canada to see my family and most years 2 or 3 times. I was there 10 yrs before returning last week.
Only my brother and wife came once in 2007, friends did but they trip was not because we were in UK, they were there for other reasons but did a quick visit.
My son and wife came last 2 christmas's.........that was it

holiday entitlement is so much better in UK
Old Apr 6th 2010, 3:14 am
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Arty;8474547]Hi Bellanova,
enjoy your trip to old blighty next week,a pity your visit is not near us .You would have been more than welcome , to enjoy some Scottish hospitality

Arty & Co[/QUOTE

ahhhhhhh thanks arty that's very nice of you and had I been closer I would definately popped in for a visit
Old Apr 6th 2010, 10:17 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
If you get a chance - go now while the Ca$ is so high against the UK£.
We went last week and were getting £1 = Ca$1.56 - best I've known for a while.
That's certainly a substantial bonus for us. It'll make the shopping expeditions to M&S etc. that much cheaper! More importantly, it'll make car hire and beer more affordable.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 1:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Twice a year for contractual reasons, plus other trips if we have a project on that calls for me to be there. I haven't bought my own ticket for years.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 2:51 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Two years and I haven't been to the UK yet although I've been back to where I lived in Thailand a couple of times. I will probably go back this year though - haven't seen most of my family for ages and it would be too self-centred to expect them to come here to see me.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

B91212 is on a distinguished road

Been here 2 years and back twice.

First trip back was for a visit. Not my idea to book it and by the time it came around it was not a good time and in trying to make it both a visit and a holiday, and not really succeeding at either, the biggest thing it did was to put a large dent in the bank balance.

Second trip back was a an unplanned emergency dash before it was too late. Made it back in time and it made me realise the first trip back had been worth it after all.....
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

We landed Feb 09, first visit back was May 09 and had friends over for a month August. My second visit was Oct 09 to sort out property, Mother-in-law arrives in May for a month and my third visit will be in Oct this year...so in 20 months I will have travelled back 3 times in total.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 5:21 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Been here 5½ years, not returned to the UK in that time and no plans to do so in the near future. I moved around over there so much anyway that I really do not regard anywhere over there as "home".

For me, my travelling mission now is to visit more places on this side of the pond, rather than revisit those I've already been to in the UK (and Europe).
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:07 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the UK right now to celebrate my Mum's 60th, it's the first time back in 3 years.

I had forgotten what a hole this place was, I cannot wait to get back to Kamloops on Friday.
Old Apr 6th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Been here 4 years this August. Went back twice in two months back in '08. Once to visit my ailing dad, and then again 4 weeks later to bury him. My wife has yet to visit her family at all. We arrived here with one almost 4 yr old and now have two additions. It's darn expensive just thinking about flying back with 5 ... on a positive note, when our second was born, we had the in-laws for two weeks and family members have visited twice besides with more to follow in the summer. As for us going back, finances, finances, finances ... it doesn't look promising.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.