Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much spending money do you need !!!

How much spending money do you need !!!

Old Mar 14th 2005, 11:35 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much spending money do you need !!!

Guys

We will be coming over in July for just over 3 weeks, family holiday and a reccie to have a good look around. Staying in London, Ontario.
Our accommodation is all booked and payed for, the car hire is sorted out.

My question to you guys who live in Canada is !!!!

What do think is the, or could be the average amount a family of five will need to bring over from the UK as spending money.
We will be doing the usual tourist things like Niagra etc.
I do not have a clue about buying food, eating out, fuel costs,

What do think a family of five would need on a daily basis, $50 or $100.
I know a lot of you will say, it depends on what you want to do.
There will be people who have been on a family holiday / reccie with kids, how much did you guys spend.

I have been told that I would not need any more than about $1500, to me that is not a lot of money, about £700, to get you through 3 weeks, having to buy food, amuse the kids and the adults of course, and all the usual holiday stuff.

Any idea of the sums required would be great

Eddie include the as well
Old Mar 15th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really niceSimonG is just really nice
Default Re: How much spending money do you need !!!

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Guys

We will be coming over in July for just over 3 weeks, family holiday and a reccie to have a good look around. Staying in London, Ontario.
Our accommodation is all booked and payed for, the car hire is sorted out.

My question to you guys who live in Canada is !!!!

What do think is the, or could be the average amount a family of five will need to bring over from the UK as spending money.
We will be doing the usual tourist things like Niagra etc.
I do not have a clue about buying food, eating out, fuel costs,

What do think a family of five would need on a daily basis, $50 or $100.
I know a lot of you will say, it depends on what you want to do.
There will be people who have been on a family holiday / reccie with kids, how much did you guys spend.

I have been told that I would not need any more than about $1500, to me that is not a lot of money, about £700, to get you through 3 weeks, having to buy food, amuse the kids and the adults of course, and all the usual holiday stuff.

Any idea of the sums required would be great

Eddie include the as well
If your hire car and accommodation are sorted I would say $200 a day, with some extra paid on the plastic to cover unforseen items.
Old Mar 15th 2005, 7:54 am
Just Joined

karenr is an unknown quantity at this point

hI we went to London Ontario July 04 as a family of 4 for 2 weeks . We stayed for some time with family but half the time we stayed in hotels/motels if i remember correctly we went through over 1000 pounds in spending money . we found while things appear cheap the money still goes quite quickly . Petrol was very cheap in comparison . Our most expensive day was Niagara falls .but again its what you actually do there .Sorry I can't be more specific . We had a brillient time !!!!
Karen
Old Mar 15th 2005, 11:47 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonG
If your hire car and accommodation are sorted I would say $200 a day, with some extra paid on the plastic to cover unforseen items.
Cheers guys

200 bucks a day, or there abouts, well at least it gives me some indication as to what to budget for.

200 x 22 days = 4400 bucks or about 2000UK pounds

MMMM That actually sounds not to bad

Thanks

Eddie
Old Mar 16th 2005, 12:09 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Cheers guys

200 bucks a day, or there abouts, well at least it gives me some indication as to what to budget for.

200 x 22 days = 4400 bucks or about 2000UK pounds

MMMM That actually sounds not to bad

Thanks

Eddie
Have fun on your trip but remember once here you will probably be earning in dollars - just remember how hard it will be going in the other direction GBP2000 - :scared: $4400!

Dont forget to buy what you can in Canada so you dont have to buy it in the UK (less tax for Bliar).

Mrs G

Old Mar 16th 2005, 11:01 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Have fun on your trip but remember once here you will probably be earning in dollars - just remember how hard it will be going in the other direction GBP2000 - :scared: $4400!

Dont forget to buy what you can in Canada so you dont have to buy it in the UK (less tax for Bliar).

Mrs G
Thanks Mrs G

That was our plan as wee Edd is taking up a plane seat, so is therefore entitled to his full 20kg luggage allowance, plus 5kg hand luggage.
There is no way his clothing will take up 20kg, so his case is earmarked for bringing back, hopefully cheaper goodies from Canada

Thanks

Eddie
Old Mar 17th 2005, 1:47 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget to hold onto all your receipts to get your tax back. (accomodation etc).
Old Mar 17th 2005, 4:17 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
And don't forget to hold onto all your receipts to get your tax back. (accomodation etc).

I don't think that a visitor can get tax back on accommodation - service is "consumed" (used) in the province...
Old Mar 17th 2005, 5:05 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I don't think that a visitor can get tax back on accommodation - service is "consumed" (used) in the province...
Actually they can as long as your stay in that accommodation is for less than one month of continuous occupancy. You can even claim it back for camping.

Last edited by Iginla; Mar 17th 2005 at 5:23 am.
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:09 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iginla
Actually they can as long as your stay in that accommodation is for less than one month of continuous occupancy. You can even claim it back for camping.

Yes absolutely for GST - I was thinking of PST (provincial).
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:26 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Yes absolutely for GST - I was thinking of PST (provincial).
There is no PST in Alberta
ROFL
Old Mar 17th 2005, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
all new to me, claim tax back on a holiday ?
can someone explain more ?
Is there a form you get on departure from the airport ?
Is there a web link ?
cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi all,
all new to me, claim tax back on a holiday ?
can someone explain more ?
Is there a form you get on departure from the airport ?
Is there a web link ?
cheers
Jerry
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresi...rs/menu-e.html

Spend more than 200 CAD total, more than 50 CAD pre GST/PST per receipt and you can claim the GST back. Goods must be available for inspection at the airport. Get all receipts stamped at the airport and send them when you get back to the UK. They now issue refund cheques in GBP. You'll see non-goverment agencies all over the place offering this service, trying to look official, no idea what they charge but why pay them for easy work when you can get your own refund?!

Biiiiink, shopaholic
Old Mar 19th 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresi...rs/menu-e.html

Spend more than 200 CAD total, more than 50 CAD pre GST/PST per receipt and you can claim the GST back. Goods must be available for inspection at the airport. Get all receipts stamped at the airport and send them when you get back to the UK. They now issue refund cheques in GBP. You'll see non-goverment agencies all over the place offering this service, trying to look official, no idea what they charge but why pay them for easy work when you can get your own refund?!

Biiiiink, shopaholic
HI,
You are a mine of useful information
many thanks
cheers
Jerry
Old Mar 19th 2005, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
HI,
You are a mine of useful information
many thanks
cheers
Jerry
Not to upset the applecart here but having spent £2500 cash whilst in Canada on a rece trip we only got back about £70 refund. Yes its worth doing but most of our receipts were smallish, except Hotels (here's where we got tax back) and whilst we submitted everything on list we thought allowable most items because they are treated individually were excluded.

Intersting exercise.