Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much proof?

Wikiposts

How much proof?

Old Feb 10th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough
Default How much proof?

How much proof is necessary to show you've been in an ongoing relationship for a certain period of time? Do you need to send copies of actual e-mails, chats, etc.?? I have tons!!!!!!!!!! And if so, all, or just some? Some of this stuff is quite personal...

Also, any advice on how to package all this stuff up?

Thanks all!
Old Feb 10th 2005, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much proof?

I really didn't go overboard but I know some folks send in hundreds of photographs, letters and so on. Technically I didn't have a lot to prove that I'd been in a relationship with Mr B as far back as I have, much of what we claimed must have been taken by CIC on trust. I think they're pretty experienced at separating genuine cases from the fraudulent ones, don't worry.

The only paper evidence I sent was son's birth certificate naming us as his parents, ticket stubs from an old trip to Canada showing both our names, sworn statement from our solicitor and Mr B's boss, one family photograph, one utility bill showing both names... can't think of anything else, that was pretty much it! No letters, cards, nothing like that. It was fine in our particular case, they processed Mr B's in 3mths. Unfortunately Royal Mail failed to deliver and it was a good few months after that we finally heard...but still, pretty quick!

As for packaging it up, we used nothing more fancy than a couple of bulldog clips and large paperclips, available in a multipack in Tesco in their "Value" range in the stationery aisle. Cost about a quid if I remember rightly, bargain!

Best of luck.

Biiiiink
Old Feb 10th 2005, 11:15 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't send in heaps either. One picture of us together, a couple of e-mails, chats etc... (the not too personal type), joint bank account etc...

I was told the more you send, the more they have to go through! So minimal is best (faster) and if they want something else for some reason, well, they'll let you know.

Siren
Old Feb 12th 2005, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

canucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the roughcanucker is a jewel in the rough

But I am not married and am applying as a common-law partner so I assume I need to 'prove' more....
Old Feb 12th 2005, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canucker
But I am not married and am applying as a common-law partner so I assume I need to 'prove' more....
I'm not married either, didn't make a difference to us. I'd say if you were a fraudulent case you'd be more likely to have a marriage certificate anyway, wouldn't you?! Don't worry... just get the things they ask for. I certainly was not discriminated against one iota by not being married to Mr B. We're off to Canada next weekend for him to land

Biiiiink
Old Feb 12th 2005, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Phew!!! Good to know.