Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how much money are you allowed to bring in

how much money are you allowed to bring in

Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:52 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much money are you allowed to bring in

Originally Posted by Mrs Jingles
"They" are the banks who have every right to, and will, freeze any bank account into which large amounts of money are deposited. Even if you were to walk into a bank today and deposit a much larger than usual amount of money, the teller is duty bound to report it to her superiors, and can lose her job if she doesn't. You, as the depositor, have an obligation to prove where those funds came from.
Thats different to the CBSA freezing funds as you bring them in which is what I thought was implied.

Surely "immigration", while in postion of an shiney new visa and a great long government file to back that up, is a sufficiently good reason for having such funds.

I've had tens of thousands wired to me from the UK, no questions asked.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 16th 2008 at 3:55 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deck
WOT DO YOU MEAN BY REPORTING.TO WHOME DO YOU REPORT
They have the latex gloves at the ready!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Mrs Jingles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats different to the CBSA freezing funds as you bring them in which is what I thought was implied.

Surely "immigration", while in postion of an shiney new visa and a great long government file to back that up, is a sufficiently good reason for having such funds.

If this is the norm where your bank account is concerned then questions won't be asked.......it's when the account is a new one OR when a larger than usual deposit is made.

Forgot to ask your address for the begging letter

Last edited by Mrs Jingles; Dec 16th 2008 at 4:44 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:03 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
They have absolutely no legal basis to do that. Sounds like scare mongering to me.
Who are "they" and who do we complain to ?

R.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:14 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Having tens of thousands wired to you is not the issue. There are money laundering rules/regulations in UK banks. Such funds probably can be trace if necessary. It is CASH that's the problem.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brianscottie43

Having tens of thousands wired to you is not the issue. There are money laundering rules/regulations in UK banks. Such funds probably can be trace if necessary. It is CASH that's the problem.

Sorry, but you're wrong! It's something that goes against the norm that is the issue...or a new account that has a large amount deposited into it
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Who are "they" and who do we complain to ?

R.
CBSA is they. I imagine the ombudsman would be the first person, or engaging a competent lawyer.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

If this is the norm where your bank account is concerned then questions won't be asked.......it's when the account is a new one OR when a larger than usual deposit is made.

Forgot to ask your address for the begging letter
It was an inheretence. Frankly I would rather still have my mum around than have the money.

Wired funds are also declared...its just done automatically by the bank.

You guys are missing the point entirely. The purpose of the law is not to track the declared money coming in, its to have something to pin on the people who are bringing in dirty money without declaring it...like getting Al Capone for tax evasion.

Last edited by iaink; Dec 16th 2008 at 5:02 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:03 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

[/COLOR]
Sorry, but you're wrong! It's something that goes against the norm that is the issue...or a new account that has a large amount deposited into it
What is it that goes against the norm? What is the norm?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:14 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Every transaction that comes into a Canadian institution is reported. Questions will only be asked if they become interested in your financial activities.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 16th 2008 at 6:14 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Every transaction that comes into a Canadian institution is reported to CBSA. Questions will only be asked if they become interested in your financial activities.

And you know this, how?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:43 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Its all to do with "Fintrac":-

http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:13 pm

And you know this, how?
Because it's common knowledge. Any bank will tell you if you ask.
See the Fintrac website, this is what they do.
http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/fint...nafe/1-eng.asp

CBSA report to Fintrac at all POE and financial institution report directly to Fintrac. It has been happening for somewhere around 8 years.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 16th 2008 at 6:15 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my, what a lively thread. I would have thought this stuff simple, walk up to the immigration officer and declare $200,000 cash. If your explanation is "I'm emigrating, here are my documents" a fuss is unlikely. If your explanation is "won it in a poker game, same as last week" you are likely trigger alarm bells. In the first case they'll record and report it but there's no reason for futher inquiry and, even if the plod do come around, it'd be easy to show that it's from selling a house or similar.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

What is it that goes against the norm? What is the norm?
Although you may not realise it you do actually develop a "pattern" of behaviour where your banking transactions are concerned; that is what is considered the "norm". Anything that is drastically different from this is going to raise suspicion. For instance if you normally deposit small amounts, say a few hundred dollars, and suddenly deposit a few thousand, this goes against your normal banking behaviour. This is true of banking not only here in Canada, but also in the UK, and I would suspect most banks in developed countries.

And Iaink, I'm not missing the point, as I grasp it fully......even if the money is declared, proof of its source has to be provided to the banking authority's satisfaction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.