Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how much money should we be going out with

how much money should we be going out with

Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:53 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: READ ME: how much money should we be going out with

Would your move over here be dependent on a TWP or are you eligible for PR status?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:53 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrietslade
My partner is a stucco plasterer and $25 is the lowest wage ph that he'll accept, we aim to get him a higher wage but will agree to $25 ph if we can't break the company offering him a position. He hasn't yet accepted anything as this isn't the location we wanted or did much research on. Alberta is where we desire.
How much stucco can he apply November to March? I visited Regina in January once. It was bitterly cold. He'll need alternative income/work when the weather gets wintery. I built a house here that was stucco'd and the weather halted the process several times, then got delayed completely until spring.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:03 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thankyou for all your views and opinions.

My partner is a stucco plasterer and $25 is the lowest wage ph that he'll accept, we aim to get him a higher wage but will agree to $25 ph if we can't break the company offering him a position. He hasn't yet accepted anything as this isn't the location we wanted or did much research on. Alberta is where we desire.

I am a barber and do intend on working once I start my kids in nursery and school-although from what im reading, the Canadian schooling is far different from the UK, my son will be 4 in March 2014 and I thought I read that he would be starting school the same year in Canada as he would here in the UK. If this is to be wrong then great because we aren't in such a hurry to get over there and him placed.

As I stated 8000 BRITISH pounds is what we would most likely have had at the time but reviewing peoples posts, the processing time for work permits and LMOs is much longer than we anticipated so it looks like we would be going over with a possible 10,000 pounds NOT $$$. ok so its not much in difference but there is a difference. Regarding our furniture already. When we moved from Australia we bought everything new (except our car), it is all less than 7 months old and not cheap either, but my worry with shipping it over is the cost and the damage that could come with it. Our furniture that was shipped from Australia to the UK was very badly damaged and priceless once it got off the shipping decks.

To those who have said it doesn't seem a worthy move if we are able to save here in Bournemouth and have a good life, this may seem true but we have no lives here, I work 3 jobs, study and care for my boys full time. This is no way near something to look forward to everyday. My other half, slaves his ass off too and barely see's our children. Its only because I managed to persuade my parents to look after my children for free that we are able to save what we can as we are avoiding the high cost of child care. Does this part make any sense or logic.

Please comment if you feel I am not being true to myself or not looking at the big picture
You should be able to get a spousal open work permit as that job is classed as "B" - skilled trade, however, barbers are a regulated industry and you may need to get your qualifications recognised before you would be able to work as one. http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...atedOccupation

LMO's can take as little as 8 weeks to obtain (though realistically 12 is more common) and your husband can get his Temporary Work Permit (and you your SOWP) when you arrive in Canada (at the port of entry) - all he would need to bring would be his LMO approval, his contract, any professional certification papers and pay the fee of $150. No forms to fill in (they do it for you) and much easier and quicker than applying to CIC by mail. Theoretically, you could be here by Christmas.

There are quite a few jobs in the Calgary area - might be worth trying there? http://www.workingincanada.gc.ca/rep...rce=3#job_opps

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 19th 2013 at 8:06 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

As I stated 8000 BRITISH pounds is what we would most likely have had at the time but reviewing peoples posts, the processing time for work permits and LMOs is much longer than we anticipated so it looks like we would be going over with a possible 10,000 pounds NOT $$$.

Please comment if you feel I am not being true to myself or not looking at the big picture
I gave you some insight in my previous posts as to the start-up costs of $10,000 (7000 GBP) excluding purchasing that car, as well as a budgetary monthly expense. You will need to live for minimum two weeks before your spouse gets paid.

I don't think people are saying stay in Bournemouth - its just the bag of wax - the wages, cost of living & the trade that your spouse will be doing in Regina (or Alberta) is probably seasonal work

R I C H in that last post#32 made a good point about plasterers are likely to be seasonal work given the extreme climate of mid-western Canada.

Suggest that he contact the prospective employer about lay-off's during winter or is the job guaranteed 365 days a year?

Whatever your decision good luck to you

Last edited by not2old; Sep 19th 2013 at 8:10 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:14 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
I gave you some insight in my previous posts as to the start-up costs of $10,000 (7000 GBP) excluding purchasing that car, as well as a budgetary monthly expense. You will need to live for minimum two weeks before your spouse gets paid.

I don't think people are saying stay in Bournemouth - its just the bag of wax - the wages, cost of living & the trade that your spouse will be doing in Regina (or Alberta) is probably seasonal work

R I C H in that last post#32 made a good point about plasterers are likely to be seasonal work given the extreme climate of mid-western Canada.

Suggest that he contact the prospective employer about lay-off's during winter or is the job guaranteed 365 days a year?

Whatever your decision good luck to you
Rich's point about the risk of the work being seasonal is a good one. Another thing to consider: If the work is seasonal and you come here on a TWP, I think I'm right in saying you can only work for the employer who sponsored you. So you couldn't just go out and get another - or a supplementary - job. If this is incorrect someone please chip in. I would hate to give misinformation that might put anyone off unnecessarily.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:19 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO it isn't doable.

If you move on an LMO and don't have a back up plan or funds, and funds to get back home then you could be in big trouble. A job with just enough pay, no guarantees of year round work, no fall back money. We read post on here often enough from LMO holders who have been laid off, then have to find another employer and LMO.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
IMHO it isn't doable.

If you move on an LMO and don't have a back up plan or funds, and funds to get back home then you could be in big trouble. A job with just enough pay, no guarantees of year round work, no fall back money. We read post on here often enough from LMO holders who have been laid off, then have to find another employer and LMO.
+1 A disaster waiting to happen.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:23 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I am a barber and do intend on working once I start my kids in nursery and school-although from what im reading, the Canadian schooling is far different from the UK, my son will be 4 in March 2014 and I thought I read that he would be starting school the same year in Canada as he would here in the UK. If this is to be wrong then great because we aren't in such a hurry to get over there and him placed.

As I stated 8000 BRITISH pounds is what we would most likely have had at the time but reviewing peoples posts, the processing time for work permits and LMOs is much longer than we anticipated so it looks like we would be going over with a possible 10,000 pounds NOT $$$. ok so its not much in difference but there is a difference. Regarding our furniture already. When we moved from Australia we bought everything new (except our car), it is all less than 7 months old and not cheap either, but my worry with shipping it over is the cost and the damage that could come with it. Our furniture that was shipped from Australia to the UK was very badly damaged and priceless once it got off the shipping decks.

To those who have said it doesn't seem a worthy move if we are able to save here in Bournemouth and have a good life, this may seem true but we have no lives here, I work 3 jobs, study and care for my boys full time. This is no way near something to look forward to everyday. My other half, slaves his ass off too and barely see's our children. Its only because I managed to persuade my parents to look after my children for free that we are able to save what we can as we are avoiding the high cost of child care. Does this part make any sense or logic.

Not off the wall at all, we were in very similar position to you, i.e. - no quality of life due to work commitments and living day to day to try and make ends meet, however life here can be very tough when you are just getting started, really research the likelihood of year round work for your OH like other posters have mentioned, even if it is year round things will still be tight IMHO, however you may be like us and willing to live with that for actually having some time together in the evenings and some weekend time together as a family.

Things do get better over time once you have got established and networked and made connections, but we were in the location we wanted to be, for me personally, had I moved to somewhere that I didnt really want and had to cope with everything else that goes with it, then I am not sure I would have stayed. Who knows, its all a risk and you have to weigh the pros and cons and your adversity to risk and do what your gut says.

Also- look into PR as soon as you are able, living on a TWP particularly in trade related jobs can also be unpredictable.

Good luck with what you decide,

PS check out Alberta, a link shows work there too
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:27 pm
Gained PR July 2014

lindamchugh is an unknown quantity at this point

hey I have been here 6 weeks and have just had a fright and calculated we have spent nearly £6000 yes pounds to date and that is living in my cousins basement. To be honest I have spent a bit willy nilly on kids just due to the whole guilt settling in thing but I will say not any
more than a lot of people do as the norm. I have taken them to wonderland, movies few times , dinner once a week and bought son new soccer boots and daughter some clothes. only major purchase has been 2 beds, single and double for kids ( me and hubby are bed/couch surfing) , a new phone for son and sim cards for the rest of us. we have halves the utilities with my cousin . The biggest spend is on food and alcohol ( yip we could not drink but just now it keeps me sane, my adjustment so far is being saved for my best selling novel) . As you all know LMO's are is like waiting on the lotto win, in fact the lotto win looks more realistic. My advice is sell whatever you can, cash in whatever you can, bring as much as you can. ok now I am depressed at my very rapidly shrinking bank balance !!!!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
IMHO it isn't doable.

so true

I believe the OP is 25 years old with two children who I think believes its doable. I think we older wiser having gone through the mill immigrants can only share our knowledge.

Those that came on LMO's some have had a success others had issues such as those you mentioned.

For the OP's spouse situation, the wages are low (including the possibility of seasonal work) relative to what their expenses - as is the funds they're bringing with them & no fall back position .... agree with you

I think the OP has the broad picture - its now up to them... I wish them the best of luck
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by lindamchugh
hey I have been here 6 weeks and have just had a fright and calculated we have spent nearly £6000 yes pounds to date and that is living in my cousins basement. To be honest I have spent a bit willy nilly on kids just due to the whole guilt settling in thing but I will say not any more than a lot of people do as the norm.

I have taken them to wonderland, movies few times , dinner once a week and bought son new soccer boots and daughter some clothes. only major purchase has been 2 beds, single and double for kids ( me and hubby are bed/couch surfing) , a new phone for son and sim cards for the rest of us. we have halves the utilities with my cousin . The biggest spend is on food and alcohol ( yip we could not drink but just now it keeps me sane, my adjustment so far is being saved for my best selling novel) . A[B][I]s you all know LMO's are is like waiting on the lotto win, in fact the lotto win looks more realistic.
Imagine if you'd landed not knowing anyone & had to foot the expense of what the OP needs to do... finding & completely furnishing an apartment. That 6000 GBP could well be double that.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
+2

Canada is expensive. Very expensive. You WILL NOT have a better life than you currently have in the UK. Don't forget the one thing money can't buy - your parents. In Canada, you will have nobody. Now, your parents can help you out with the kids. In Canada - NOBODY.

I really hope you don't come here.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:38 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I have to agree with Novo' I'm not normally a pessimistic person, but $25 per hour on a TWP in a job that may be seasonal to some extent and with little or no contingency (after setup costs are factored in) seems like a very high risk undertaking; especially with 2 young children in tow......
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:40 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
+2

Canada is expensive. Very expensive. You WILL NOT have a better life than you currently have in the UK. Don't forget the one thing money can't buy - your parents. In Canada, you will have nobody. Now, your parents can help you out with the kids. In Canada - NOBODY.

I really hope you don't come here.
You can buy mine with pleasure!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
You can buy mine with pleasure!
haha. I've got enough on my plate with mine. But wouldn't mind having them around when mini-foreigngirl arrives.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.