Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how much money should we be going out with

how much money should we be going out with

Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: READ ME: how much money should we be going out with

Originally Posted by harrietslade
By the sounds of things aswel, we could be looking at having more in the bank if the processing time on average is 4-6 months processing time.
Processing time for what? Which visa route are you going down, a TWP? It shouldn't take that long, the LMO will probably be around 8-12 weeks and then you'll just get the TWP at the airport assuming you're UK citizens.

My partner will be starting work as soon as he lands, earning $25 PH, is this a good wage or OK?
It depends on the job, what will he be doing?

Do you have or has anyone got children, that could also offer me guidance on schooling and how to go about getting my son placed? He starts next year
If your profile is right and he's only 3 then he won't be starting next year - don't forget that in Canada kids start school later. This Wiki article may be useful. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/School_Age_Categories

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 19th 2013 at 3:34 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is sensible to move to Regina with two children and attempt to live on $25,000/pa. It's difficult to see how life could be better there than being in Bournemouth and able to save money.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:34 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think it is sensible to move to Regina with two children and attempt to live on $25,000/pa. It's difficult to see how life could be better there than being in Bournemouth and able to save money.
$25ph = $50,000pa
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
$25ph = $50,000pa
Oh, right you are, ph.

Just about feasible then, if he gets the hours, doesn't get injured and there are no emergencies.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

$25ph = $50,000pa
Less taxes, CPP, EI and possibly Union dues and benefits contribution.

http://www.ees-financial.com/calcula...Calculator.htm
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Oh, right you are, ph.

Just about feasible then, if he gets the hours, doesn't get injured and there are no emergencies.
It's a start, but no picnic.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:06 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

It's a start, but no picnic.
Combined with fact from another thread that it doesn't' appear to be the op's choice of location, I would be considering this move very cautiously
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:20 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not usually one to offer an "opinion", but for once I will. It would seem to me that $25 per hour, with 2 children and a backup of only £5000 ($8000) is a BIG gamble. If your partner can start work on day 1 and have guaranteed hours each week, then maybe....

I would personally be thinking very long and hard about the feasibility of the whole escapade. The OP doesn't seem to have much background knowledge of the region, logistics, practicalities, schooling, benefits etc etc. This is not to say it won't work at all. The last thing I'd want to do is to be overtly pessimistic but it seems a bit more research and general conviction about the fundamentals of such a momentous move may be warranted before embarking on such an undertaking.

I wouldn't dream of putting someone off such a great adventure - just be sure you're ready for all eventualities and that you know exactly (as best you can) what you're letting yourselves in for. It's a heck of a long way to come for $25 per hour!!!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:30 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm not usually one to offer an "opinion", but for once I will. It would seem to me that $25 per hour, with 2 children and a backup of only £5000 ($8000) is a BIG gamble. If your partner can start work on day 1 and have guaranteed hours each week, then maybe....

I would personally be thinking very long and hard about the feasibility of the whole escapade. The OP doesn't seem to have much background knowledge of the region, logistics, practicalities, schooling, benefits etc etc. This is not to say it won't work at all. The last thing I'd want to do is to be overtly pessimistic but it seems a bit more research and general conviction about the fundamentals of such a momentous move may be warranted before embarking on such an undertaking.

I wouldn't dream of putting someone off such a great adventure - just be sure you're ready for all eventualities and that you know exactly (as best you can) what you're letting yourselves in for. It's a heck of a long way to come for $25 per hour!!!
True, but it depends on what her circumstances and prospects are like in sunny Bournemouth. And it depends on age too, a very young family may be more willing and able to take on greater adventure and risk.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

So much information provided on your behalf, thankyou so so much

Can you tell me much more that I may need to know

thanks
Thanks Novocastrian - correction on my post regarding the car insurance which should have read $500 - $1200/year. That number can change based on the coverage such as - if its an old clunker, third party only, fully comprehensive or if they'll get discount claims bonus

You have other costs such as landline Phone,cell/mobile phone, internet, cable TV ... budget those at $100 -$150 /mth depending on level of service that you get as well as what is provided below

On the basis he will be earning a base of $25/hr (no overtime or bonus) and 40 hrs/wk = $1000 - deductions = take home pay of around $750/wk. On a calendar month which includes deductions from pay of income tax, CPP, EI, union dues & misc that'd be net take home of approx $3250.

From that work it backwards

Calendar month basic expenses for a family of four- $2900 budgeting thrifty IMO.

itemized breakdown

$1200 Rent 2-bed apartment (lower the better) must pay first & last mth rent

$100 Car insurance

$100 fuel for the car

$200 Utilities - electricity, phones, internet, cable TV etc

$800 Groceries

$100 medical/dental costs ... its a budget number. Maybe spouse will have a plan through work that kicks in after 3 mths or is co-pay plan.

$50 Clothing. Its only $600/year for the whole family, unless you shop at the charity shop

$50 Personal care & grooming

$100 Entertainment (movies, eating out etc)

$200 Misc (not knowing your lifestyle + kids matters). Maybe lower this number

Looks doable

The only issue to begin with is any up front costs such as traveling from the UK to your destination, shipping the personal items, buying the items to outfit your residence.

I would budget a start-up cost of not less than $10k all-in all done without the car purchase. You could lower the $10k by only buying bare minimum till the wages come in

Then there is the car purchase, plus the one or two weeks waiting till your spouse gets the first pay

Maybe other posters can comment, correct my numbers or add/exclude as necessary

Last edited by not2old; Sep 19th 2013 at 5:52 pm. Reason: added more information
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide that you are coming, I really would look into the possibility of bringing your household furniture with you. The idea of having to furnish a house from scratch for two kids is going to be expensive. Just to buy beds and table and chairs, you are looking at a lot, even if the furniture that you presently have isn't fantastic, I think you would find it much more economic to bring the basics with you, than starting from scratch. Very best of luck.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Less taxes, CPP, EI and possibly Union dues and benefits contribution.

http://www.ees-financial.com/calcula...Calculator.htm
using that calculator I'm seeing that they'd likely borderline - depending on spending habits & cost of living in what they do & those stsrt up settlement expenses

Therefore my last post showing a take home of 75% of gross may be +/- ?

Last edited by not2old; Sep 19th 2013 at 5:10 pm. Reason: corrected the post
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:58 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
If you decide that you are coming, I really would look into the possibility of bringing your household furniture with you. The idea of having to furnish a house from scratch for two kids is going to be expensive. Just to buy beds and table and chairs, you are looking at a lot, even if the furniture that you presently have isn't fantastic, I think you would find it much more economic to bring the basics with you, than starting from scratch. Very best of luck.
Totally agree. Furniture here isn't cheap. I dread to think how much it would cost to kit out a whole house/apartment from scratch!
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

harrietslade is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Thankyou for all your views and opinions.

My partner is a stucco plasterer and $25 is the lowest wage ph that he'll accept, we aim to get him a higher wage but will agree to $25 ph if we can't break the company offering him a position. He hasn't yet accepted anything as this isn't the location we wanted or did much research on. Alberta is where we desire.

I am a barber and do intend on working once I start my kids in nursery and school-although from what im reading, the Canadian schooling is far different from the UK, my son will be 4 in March 2014 and I thought I read that he would be starting school the same year in Canada as he would here in the UK. If this is to be wrong then great because we aren't in such a hurry to get over there and him placed.

As I stated 8000 BRITISH pounds is what we would most likely have had at the time but reviewing peoples posts, the processing time for work permits and LMOs is much longer than we anticipated so it looks like we would be going over with a possible 10,000 pounds NOT $$$. ok so its not much in difference but there is a difference. Regarding our furniture already. When we moved from Australia we bought everything new (except our car), it is all less than 7 months old and not cheap either, but my worry with shipping it over is the cost and the damage that could come with it. Our furniture that was shipped from Australia to the UK was very badly damaged and priceless once it got off the shipping decks.

To those who have said it doesn't seem a worthy move if we are able to save here in Bournemouth and have a good life, this may seem true but we have no lives here, I work 3 jobs, study and care for my boys full time. This is no way near something to look forward to everyday. My other half, slaves his ass off too and barely see's our children. Its only because I managed to persuade my parents to look after my children for free that we are able to save what we can as we are avoiding the high cost of child care. Does this part make any sense or logic.

Please comment if you feel I am not being true to myself or not looking at the big picture
Old Sep 19th 2013, 7:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Is this type of work seasonal? Will he be laid off on the winter? Though the time frame you are looking at means starting in the winter so maybe not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.