Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much to live, cost breakdown.

How much to live, cost breakdown.

Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How much to live, cost breakdown.

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I refer you to a post I made some time ago when this subject was raised by someone who was too lazy or incapable to research this (not unimportant) information themselves.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...53#post3931553
Cheers AX, very lazy and very incapable!!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
Thx biiiiink, at the mo it looks pretty comparative the UK percentages, but will be earning a bit more which is good.

Any basic info on federal and provincial tax rates on wages guys??
No direct deductions for yourself, spouse or children. The only deduction you get (talking personal and family deductions here) is for 15% of you personal exemption. In other words, you calculate your tax on income and then deduct 15% of the personal deduction. You can only deduct for you spouse (in the same manner) by subtracting her income from the basic allowance. Of course if she is filing her own return, she will take the deduction for herself, and you cannot. There is no such thing as a joint tax return here, so each does their own. There are other things for which you can take the same rate of reduction of taxes. In Ontario, the Provincial tax is usually equal to about 50% of your federal tax. No deductions for mortgage interest. As an example, on a $70,000 income in 2000, I paid over $20,000 in taxes, Not including UIC and CPP.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 4:02 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Only two of us, lower mainland BC - so hope this helps.

Mortgage (less than $100K @ 4.9%) $580/mo.
Gas heat $89/mo (1700 sq ft one level house)
Electric $71/mo
Car Insurance (2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, safe driver discount) $122/mo
Cable, internet, PPV, $109/mo
Phone incl long distance plan, cheap calls to UK - $60/mo
2 cell phones, unlimited mins $62/mo
Gas (petrol) - currently abominable $1.05 a litre.
Food - we eat well! - about $100/week, plus we eat out twice a week.
Train pass for approx 1 hour commute to Vancouver - $170/mo. Well worth it.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

weener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the roughweener is a jewel in the rough

HI

Bit of a difference on Cost of livings here...
I am Guessing for 2 adults and 1 child living in Ontario without a mortgage and a 3 bed detached house in the Cambridge/Guelp area:

Motgage N/A
Property Tax 250p/m
Tv Licence N/A
Gas (heating etc) and elect 180 p/m
Water/Sewage 70p/m
phone (landline) 50p/m
Internet/cable 105p/m
Gas (petrol) 60p/m
food 550p/m
Life Ins... Not sure on this one??
House Ins 75p/m
Car Ins 165p/m

Total $1505

Sound about right??????

These are just my estimates going on reading threads on this site....I know they will vary!!!!
Old Dec 30th 2006, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Hi there

Haven't got time to read through 4 pages of replies so someones maybe already said this. We had no dillusions about the cost of living in Canada as we had been here on holiday many times and lots of our friends lived here. When you weigh everything up it is about the same as living in the UK in fact maybe a bit more expensive. Cars and fuel are cheaper but insurance is dearer. Electricity, phone, internet is cheaper but grocery shopping a lot dearer. Rates are cheaper as we are paying about the same living near the city as we were living out in the countryside in UK for council tax.

Clothes, shoes etc are dearer than UK if you compare quality. Electrical goods are the same price as UK. You'll also have 30 - 40% deducted off your wages every week and still have to pay for medical cover ($108 a month for family $54 for single person here in BC) even although my company pays this and extended medical you still get taxed on it.

Although my husband is making the same as he was in the UK, I am making approximately half in the same job.

Hope this is of some use to you. Despite the fact that we are not any better off financially we have a much better quality of life. We were up snowboarding until ten o clock last night only 40 minutes away from our house. There are bald eagles nesting in the trees just up the road from us and I walk my dogs at a lake ten minutes from here that looks like a scene out of Lord of the Rings. There are a lot more important things than money.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by startwin
Only two of us, lower mainland BC - so hope this helps.

Mortgage (less than $100K @ 4.9%) $580/mo.
Gas heat $89/mo (1700 sq ft one level house)
Electric $71/mo
Car Insurance (2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee, safe driver discount) $122/mo
Cable, internet, PPV, $109/mo
Phone incl long distance plan, cheap calls to UK - $60/mo
2 cell phones, unlimited mins $62/mo
Gas (petrol) - currently abominable $1.05 a litre.
Food - we eat well! - about $100/week, plus we eat out twice a week.
Train pass for approx 1 hour commute to Vancouver - $170/mo. Well worth it.
Thx startwin, Cheers for the info
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Higgy
Hi there

Haven't got time to read through 4 pages of replies so someones maybe already said this. We had no dillusions about the cost of living in Canada as we had been here on holiday many times and lots of our friends lived here. When you weigh everything up it is about the same as living in the UK in fact maybe a bit more expensive. Cars and fuel are cheaper but insurance is dearer. Electricity, phone, internet is cheaper but grocery shopping a lot dearer. Rates are cheaper as we are paying about the same living near the city as we were living out in the countryside in UK for council tax.

Clothes, shoes etc are dearer than UK if you compare quality. Electrical goods are the same price as UK. You'll also have 30 - 40% deducted off your wages every week and still have to pay for medical cover ($108 a month for family $54 for single person here in BC) even although my company pays this and extended medical you still get taxed on it.

Although my husband is making the same as he was in the UK, I am making approximately half in the same job.

Hope this is of some use to you. Despite the fact that we are not any better off financially we have a much better quality of life. We were up snowboarding until ten o clock last night only 40 minutes away from our house. There are bald eagles nesting in the trees just up the road from us and I walk my dogs at a lake ten minutes from here that looks like a scene out of Lord of the Rings. There are a lot more important things than money.
Great post, sums up what I'm trying to find in my life. Doesn't hurt when I would actually more earning more too!!!!