British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How much to fly my dog back to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-much-fly-my-dog-back-uk-738820/)

Redgal Nov 13th 2011 7:17 pm

How much to fly my dog back to UK?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how much it would cost to fly my dog back to the UK if we were on the same flight, and also if we sent her on her own?

Also, we would be flying after Jan 2012 when the new regs come into effect (ie no blood test needed). Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PET Passport through once you send off the papers?

Thanks so much!
Kath

1chumly Nov 13th 2011 7:37 pm

Re: How much to fly my dog back to UK?

Is your dog a Poodle or Great Dane? It all depends on crate size and combined weight. The best way to find out is call the airline and they will give you their rates. It varies tremendously. Good luck!

DandNHill Nov 14th 2011 12:33 am

Originally Posted by Redgal (Post 9730782)
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how much it would cost to fly my dog back to the UK if we were on the same flight, and also if we sent her on her own?

Also, we would be flying after Jan 2012 when the new regs come into effect (ie no blood test needed). Does anyone know how long it takes to get the PET Passport through once you send off the papers?

Thanks so much!
Kath

Reading through the defra website you don't need a PET passport from Jan 2012, it sounds as though the requirements are going to be very similar to when you fly the other way from January. As for cost, who knows. I was quoted £960 to fly my golden Retriever with Air Canada but from UK to Canada if that helps.

Geordie Lass Nov 14th 2011 2:36 pm

Agree with the point of not getting a pet passport - I think all you need is the rabies jabs and the fit to fly vet cert.

I rang Pet Air, Skymaster Air Cargo, ANA Aviation, Transfur, Airpets, Flypets, James Cargo and Par Air.

Cheapest 2 were Skymaster Air Cargo and Transfur.

Skymaster she goes a different route from us so that might not be what you want.

Aside from the cheapest two I mentioned they are all roughly the same - give or take a couple of hundred pounds.

Hope this helps! :)

DandNHill Nov 14th 2011 9:59 pm

We used ANA when we came over as they were the cheapest. Maybe it depends on how much dog you're shipping?? :sneaky:

Redgal Nov 15th 2011 12:43 am

Thanks so much guys! She is a coonhound whippet cross weighing 35-40lbs. I guess I'll call around. So are ANY airlines approved for travel with DEFRA? They mention somewhere that they only allow certain flights...sigh. Why does it have to be so confusing or perhaps it is just me, lol ;)

1chumly Nov 15th 2011 3:59 am

Not trying to be rude but have you actually gone to the DEFRA site and read it thoroughly? It really does explain things. I suggest you have a good read then come back if you have specific questions. It's not that difficult to ship a pet (stressful, yes) but much easier after January.

Redgal Nov 15th 2011 5:59 pm

Ah, got it!Thanks! Duh! :embarrassed_smile: I was reading the info through a third party/travel company which was really confusing.Now it's clear!

1chumly Nov 15th 2011 6:45 pm

Glad to hear you are all straightened out now. It is all very stressful (for you, not your pet!!). Good luck with everything.

helcat12 Nov 16th 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Redgal (Post 9734542)
Ah, got it!Thanks! Duh! :embarrassed_smile: I was reading the info through a third party/travel company which was really confusing.Now it's clear!

I also found calling Defra Pet section (who are in Glasgow, if I remember rightly) was a great help.
The people there are really nice and know everything about it - no dealing with clueless numpties there in my experience.:thumbsup:

If there is any query you cannot find the answer to on the website, I recommend using an International call card and giving them a bell:).

BTW, I also used ANA to get my cats over here and they were great - very efficient, good price and all went well. The flight was a Thomas Cook from Manchester to Vancouver.