Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much to flatten lawn?

How much to flatten lawn?

Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much to flatten lawn?

We wondered how much it would be to have a lawn flattened in calgary. Its an average size calgary yard- it probably has about 1m rise over the lawn. There would be access to the back.

I am kind of thinking all in around 10K, which is a wild guess, to include new topsoil, cut and fill, little retaining wall (probably only 1/2m needed) and then new turf

am I in the right ball park?

There is currently under lawn irrigation. How much extra would it be to salvage and relay?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much to flatten lawn?

Really depends on it's overall size.

We did something similar on our sloping back yard, had it flattened and a big 5ft high rock retaining wall put in to build it up, topsoil front and back, and then hydro-seed. Cost us about $10K all together.

I would recommend getting hydro-seed put down though instead of turf. About a 3rd of the cost of sod and you have a new lawn in about 3 months!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:02 pm
Banned

immichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to beholdimmichaelcaine is a splendid one to behold

'bout 1400$/hr?

Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
Really depends on it's overall size.

We did something similar on our sloping back yard, had it flattened and a big 5ft high rock retaining wall put in to build it up, topsoil front and back, and then hydro-seed. Cost us about $10K all together.

I would recommend getting hydro-seed put down though instead of turf. About a 3rd of the cost of sod and you have a new lawn in about 3 months!

Thanks. So about what I thought then. Calgary isn't best for growing grass so I wonder whther the turf/hydroseed thing still applies?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:54 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gryphea
Thanks. So about what I thought then. Calgary isn't best for growing grass so I wonder whther the turf/hydroseed thing still applies?
Either sod(turf) or hydro-seed still requires you do some watering.

The city has used hydro-seed on the sides of the recently widened Crowchild Trail it seemed to work quite well.

Personally I'd go with the sod.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisBoar is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep hydro seed needs watering 3 times a day while it is getting established. The only reason I suggested it is that it is about a third of the cost of sod, or at least it is where I live.