Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Howefamily
although in the summer I finish my working hours and then lie in the pool - just so you have the whole picture.
And I'm sure you totally deserve it. And in summer I usually swim in the lake or sea.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:02 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And I'm sure you totally deserve it. And in summer I usually swim in the lake or sea.
Me too, isnt it awesome.
I dont know if I deserve it, it came with the house
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said go with stats if you wish.... we all know that they can give remarkeably different outcomes. For example if you want to know the temp in Halifax and go to the weather network they measure it in Shearwater so its cooler as its by the waterfront. If you look at Environment Canada they measure it by the airport so its a few degrees warmer.
So... depending on where they measure what they are looking at can swing it massively. My friend lives down near Peggys Cove, really foggy area and can be 18C in the summer when we have 30C (further inland). My point is that most people dont live down by Peggys Cove.

I am telling you what I have found, living here.

Exactly and I'm comparing downtown Halifax and many people live there. Look, it's no contest and that's the whole point. If unhappy with the weather in the UK, you better move to a complete different climate zone.
That's the advice the OP should get.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am an oddity in that I adore humidity. Love it.
And I would never ever ever ever walk in the pouring rain. I did a dressage test in it once and apart from my horse choosing to go into a wonderful outline without any request on my part, it was awful.
Give me cold and dry any day - caveat - above minus 20 windchill, thats painful.
That's why we're all different, not a bad thing. Anything above 28 degrees in the UK (i.e. no humidity) and I'm utterly miserable. Ontario was hell on earth for me in the summer!

But give me a rainy day, my wellies and I'm off striding across the fields in heaven.

I can imagine that a dressage test wouldn't be much fun though, putting a waterproof on isn't really the done thing eh? My daughter's got her next dressage test coming up on 11th Feb, if it's raining I'll think of you.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I can imagine that a dressage test wouldn't be much fun though, putting a waterproof on isn't really the done thing eh? My daughter's got her next dressage test coming up on 11th Feb, if it's raining I'll think of you.
Imagine the agony of the soggy Western Pleasure rider, something like Liberace showering in his stage gear.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 12:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly and I'm comparing downtown Halifax and many people live there. Look, it's no contest and that's the whole point. If unhappy with the weather in the UK, you better move to a complete different climate zone.
That's the advice the OP should get.
But the OP was after if it rains as much as it does in the UK and it doesn't.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But the OP was after if it rains as much as it does in the UK and it doesn't.
Back there again. Yes it does rain as much.
He is asking about Nova Scotia and especially Halifax. You have more rainy days than London and I'm sorry I can't change that.

Just to add Average number of days annually with at least 0.2 mm (0.008 inches) of rain:

Greenwich Park in London has had on average 110 rainy days
Halifax downtown had 143 days.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 18th 2017 at 1:26 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:40 pm
Happy

He is asking about Nova Scotia and especially Halifax. You have more rainy days than London and I'm sorry I can't change that.

Just to add Average number of days annually with at least 0.2 mm (0.008 inches) of rain:

I too want to smack my head against a brick wall because YOU dont live here!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I too want to smack my head against a brick wall because YOU dont live here!
And you don't live in the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:44 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Both houses in NS that I have lived in, have water supplies by a well. I can't remember a single summer where I wasn't praying for more rain.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:44 pm
Happy

And you don't live in the UK.
But I did, for 35 years....
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:47 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Flogger
Both houses in NS that I have lived in, have water supplies by a well. I can't remember a single summer where I wasn't praying for more rain.
Lucky you dont live in London then isnt it, given that apparently we have more rain here that we just havent noticed....
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

But that's because of ground conditions/well depth not absolute volume of rainfall. Compared with ON, NS must have more efficient drainage and/or inadequate welling. How come wells in NS are usually "dug" whereas in ON they're "drilled"?
Old Jan 18th 2017, 1:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sure and again it will depend where you live (drainage). I remember hose pipe bans in the UK, especially in Jersey and parts of Kent. Believe it or not, even in our part of Ireland where we have same amount of rain as Vancouver we have water scarcity (not last year though). Many places have water shortages and water is life after all.

I know people always want to defend their place but do you really think all the official weather data is just a lie. I know people from Germany (Cologne) who were surprised how much better the weather was in Kent, although people believe the whole UK is wet all the time.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:05 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by dbd33
But that's because of ground conditions/well depth not absolute volume of rainfall. Compared with ON, NS must have more efficient drainage and/or inadequate welling. How come wells in NS are usually "dug" whereas in ON they're "drilled"?
I believe they are drilled in the areas where its rockier - ie south of Enfield. Wheres if on clay they would be dug BUT I am no expert on wells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.