Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Old Jan 17th 2017, 5:52 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does it rain in Nova Scotia

Thia makes me smile. I lived not far from Bognor Regis (Worthing and worked in Littlehampton) for 6 years and have lived in NS, admittedly not in Halifax but up the road near Enfield for almost 6 years.

I can say, without a doubt, the following:

NS has considerably more sun
NS has fog but not noticeably loads, and its foggy over rivers but then you drive out of it, and its foggy over the harbour - all at certain times of the year...( Spring mainly)
Its hot in the summer
When it rains it deluges but rarely is it just gloomy overcast and drizzly
We have snow and ice and sun in the winter.

It has considerably more sun and less rain that in Bognor Regis. But you can follow stats if you prefer, what do I know...
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

My story is very similar to Howefamily's... I totally agree with her 👍
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well even London gets fewer rainy days and sunshine amounts are only slightly higher in Halifax depending where you are in London (1600 vs 1950). Fact is that it won't be life changing and other things can make the difference. Maybe a house with garden that gets the sun can make the difference, shorter working hours but just for the weather don't even think about it. If you want to test the weather, Bognor Regis is an example.
Are you in NS Moses? For us, the difference in weather is life changing. We are outside all summer in our pool that's heated by, believe it or not, the sun.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Are you in NS Moses? For us, the difference in weather is life changing. We are outside all summer in our pool that's heated by, believe it or not, the sun.
You can't compare. NS has great weather in the summer. If/when it rains it clears up pretty quickly and you don't have constant grey skies. Most days are sunny and hot in the summer! Unlike in the UK generally!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a cousin living there now and it certainly isn't a bad place. Just don't agree that someone moaning about weather in the UK should move there for weather alone. Maybe rent a place in a sunnier part of the UK first to see if your mood improves before ending up unhappy again.
That the whole of the UK is always grey like DandNHill said and it never clears up is nonsense.

Yes, we all know it's not the Costa Blanca and winter days are shorter but so are they in Denmark and people live there happily. Yes, many places in the UK don't get the extreme heat. So what and like yourself I'm out all year round and we both know that Nova Scotia, UK in my case Ireland isn't the Costa Blanca. If you're into outdoor living and focused on sun, it makes a huge difference to have a sunny garden with space for a hot tub, pool or whatever.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thia makes me smile. I lived not far from Bognor Regis (Worthing and worked in Littlehampton) for 6 years and have lived in NS, admittedly not in Halifax but up the road near Enfield for almost 6 years.

I can say, without a doubt, the following:

NS has considerably more sun
NS has fog but not noticeably loads, and its foggy over rivers but then you drive out of it, and its foggy over the harbour - all at certain times of the year...( Spring mainly)
Its hot in the summer
When it rains it deluges but rarely is it just gloomy overcast and drizzly
We have snow and ice and sun in the winter.

It has considerably more sun and less rain that in Bognor Regis. But you can follow stats if you prefer, what do I know...

So that does prove that it's not the weather that made you happy then. You were maybe unhappy in that location, had long working hours, more traffic, so didn't really notice the weather. And don't forget that every area has micro climates, weather is different every year, houses & gardens get different amounts of sun.

While I was living in Germany, we had snow 4 years in a row and then there was no snow the following 5 years.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't agree that someone moaning about weather in the UK should move there for weather alone. Maybe rent a place in a sunnier part of the UK first to see if your mood improves before ending up unhappy again. That the whole of the UK is always grey like DandNHill said and it never clears up is nonsense.
Yep. Below are a couple of pics of my garden and road taken at 7.30am this morning with the sun coming up as I got back from walking the dogs, now it's bright blue sky and sunshine, no grey. Admittedly we live in one of the driest/sunniest/warmest parts of the UK, but for us summer hols are lovely. Anybody that thinks the UK is all rain and grey is in danger of generalising about the whole place......something they seem to hate when it's done to NS.

FWIW, I have only spent a week in NS (Halifax), half of the time was bloody awful fog and grey and miserable, the other half was freezing cold, bright blue skies and sunshine. No rain at all though, although it was January so a few snow flurries.

As I've said before, anybody that lets the UK weather stop them doing stuff isn't 'outdoorsy' anyway IMO, and that's unlikely to change with moving to Canada. We'll happily all go for 8 mile walks in the pouring rain, just as we would in -15, but we are a family that spends most of our free time outdoors.
Attached Thumbnails How much does it rain in Nova Scotia-img_3538.jpg   How much does it rain in Nova Scotia-img_3536.jpg  

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 18th 2017 at 8:16 am.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep. Below are a couple of pics of my garden and road taken at 7.30am this morning with the sun coming up as I got back from walking the dogs, now it's bright blue sky and sunshine, no grey. Admittedly we live in one of the driest/sunniest/warmest parts of the UK, but for us summer hols are lovely. Anybody that thinks the UK is all rain and grey is in danger of generalising about the whole place......something they seem to hate when it's done to NS.

FWIW, I have only spent a week in NS (Halifax), half of the time was bloody awful fog and grey and miserable, the other half was freezing cold, bright blue skies and sunshine. No rain at all though, although it was January so a few snow flurries.

As I've said before, anybody that lets the UK weather stop them doing stuff isn't 'outdoorsy' anyway IMO, and that's unlikely to change with moving to Canada. We'll happily all go for 8 mile walks in the pouring rain, just as we would in -15, but we are a family that spends most of our free time outdoors.
Great pictures. Just looking at our weather:

Today will be mainly dry. Highest temperatures of 9 to 11 degrees with light to moderate southerly breezes. Thursday will be colder than recent days. It will be dry with bright or sunny spells. Highest temperatures of 7 to 9 degrees with light south to southeast breezes. Friday will be mainly dry with bright or sunny spells, the best of these in the west. There may be a little drizzle along the east coast. Highest temperatures of 6 to 8 degrees with mostly light southeasterly breezes.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

This post has all turned in to a boxing ring!

My view is that I much preferred the weather in Nova Scotia to West Sussex. The summers are warmer, sunnier and drier in NS. The winters are brighter too with many beautifully clear days.
Of course the weather can be wonderful in the UK but so many outings were spoilt by the rain.
Of course as Christmasoopa says you shouldn't let the weather stop you from going out and enjoying yourselves but in reality it is usually more fun going out on a dry sunny day!
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Hardly! It's not even a disagreement at the moment, never mind a boxing ring.

Different strokes for different folks that's all, I much prefer the weather in the UK as I don't deal with humidity well, so a NS summer would be my idea of hell. Everybody has a different idea as to their ideal climate, for me the UK is pretty close, if we could just have a bit more snow then it would be spot on.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DandNHill

My view is that I much preferred the weather in Nova Scotia to West Sussex. The summers are warmer, sunnier and drier in NS. The winters are brighter too with many beautifully clear days.
Of course the weather can be wonderful in the UK but so many outings were spoilt by the rain.
Of course as Christmasoopa says you shouldn't let the weather stop you from going out and enjoying yourselves but in reality it is usually more fun going out on a dry sunny day!
But the whole point is that if rain was an issue for the OP in the UK, it won't necessarily be better in Nova Scotia and again depends where exactly you are. Nova Scotia is bigger than the Netherlands and it's fact that Halifax gets more rainy days than parts of the UK.

It doesn't bother me personally but it does seem to bother the OP.
Of course if it's sunny and cold in Canada it's automatically great but as soon as it's cold and sunny in the UK it's not great. Yes, other parts of Canada are drier but NS is like the UK and very changeable.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:49 am
Happy

So that does prove that it's not the weather that made you happy then. You were maybe unhappy in that location, had long working hours, more traffic, so didn't really notice the weather. And don't forget that every area has micro climates, weather is different every year, houses & gardens get different amounts of sun.

While I was living in Germany, we had snow 4 years in a row and then there was no snow the following 5 years.
I have the same working hours, if anything for the last two years I have had longer working hours. Nothing to do with working hours.... although in the summer I finish my working hours and then lie in the pool - just so you have the whole picture.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:52 am
Happy

Different strokes for different folks that's all, I much prefer the weather in the UK as I don't deal with humidity well, so a NS summer would be my idea of hell. Everybody has a different idea as to their ideal climate, for me the UK is pretty close, if we could just have a bit more snow then it would be spot on.
I am an oddity in that I adore humidity. Love it.
And I would never ever ever ever walk in the pouring rain. I did a dressage test in it once and apart from my horse choosing to go into a wonderful outline without any request on my part, it was awful.
Give me cold and dry any day - caveat - above minus 20 windchill, thats painful.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ironically weather data proves that Portsmouth weather station has actually had sunnier summers than Halifax weather station. Between April-September, Portsmouth has seen more sun over the last 30+ years.

I definitely agree with different strokes for different folks but why shouldn't we focus on the facts if someone asks.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 11:59 am
Happy

Ironically weather data proves that Portsmouth weather station has actually had sunnier summers than Halifax weather station. Between April-September, Portsmouth has seen more sun over the last 30+ years.

I definitely agree with different strokes for different folks but why shouldn't we focus on the facts if someone asks.
Like I said go with stats if you wish.... we all know that they can give remarkeably different outcomes. For example if you want to know the temp in Halifax and go to the weather network they measure it in Shearwater so its cooler as its by the waterfront. If you look at Environment Canada they measure it by the airport so its a few degrees warmer.
So... depending on where they measure what they are looking at can swing it massively. My friend lives down near Peggys Cove, really foggy area and can be 18C in the summer when we have 30C (further inland). My point is that most people dont live down by Peggys Cove.

I am telling you what I have found, living here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.