Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much does a dog crate weigh?

How much does a dog crate weigh?

Old May 11th 2010, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much does a dog crate weigh?

Hi
You will only need the blood tests for the Pet Passport scheme which was gonna cost me £180. Pet passports enable the animal to be able to come back to the UK without the need for quarantine. That is why you need the blood tests to confirm their immunity, and you also have to keep those vaccines up to date or you invalidate the Pet Passport and they would be quarantined.

I was not able to go the Pet passport route myself but did set off on that route to begin with. My Lab had a Rabies Jab, the first stage, but had a massive reaction to the Jab. Not really the Jabs fault...my dog has serious allergy problems which means that she is controlled using steroids. She has breathing difficulties and skin infections and break outs due to the pollens in the air. It is marginally better in winter. Due to her steroid use, it was recommended by my vet for her to have 2 Rabies jabs before the blood test. After the first one and the reaction which took me a week to get under control ( I looked on line at the contraindications for the Rabies jab...and as my dog suffers from a lot of it....it most probably pushed her into a massive reaction) My vet said this if the first time she has known of a reaction, so please don't worry about it too much. I decided that she would not be having the second Jab or the blood test, which is not needed for taking her overseas. What it means is that if we have to come back...which we are not planning to do...she will be quarantined.

As she is a house dog...due to the allergies, part of which is long grass and the allergens in the air....so does not go any further than the garden...I am not concerned about any immunity issues at this stage.
Hope this helps
sorry it is such a long reply, but needed explaining. She may not have the same allergy issues in Canada.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by madscots
Hi Stef,

Where did you find out dogs don't need the blood test from? when i have looked at the Defra website and spoken with my vet we have to get a blood test to check for immunity 30 days after the jab.
My 2 dogs are off for their jab this morning so i will check with vet again.
Old May 11th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

You only have to show proof for your pet having had the jab and how long it is valid for, to enter Canada. Not immunity to Rabies.
If you are having the Pet passport, the blood test is part of it, otherwise another expense you do not need. They will need a fitness to fly certificate from your vet no more than 5 days before flying though.
Hope this helps, let me know what your vet says, but I suppose they will try to persuade you into spending more money with them.
lol
Stef
Old May 11th 2010, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
You only have to show proof for your pet having had the jab and how long it is valid for, to enter Canada. Not immunity to Rabies.
If you are having the Pet passport, the blood test is part of it, otherwise another expense you do not need. They will need a fitness to fly certificate from your vet no more than 5 days before flying though.
Hope this helps, let me know what your vet says, but I suppose they will try to persuade you into spending more money with them.
lol
Stef
thanks for the quick reply, yes i am sure vet will say that they need this and that.
i am sorry your dog had a reaction, i was worrying about that to be honest, i just hope my 2 are ok, its such a worry isn't it?
Old May 11th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi
I am sure that if they are fine healthwise, that it will all go smoothly. Just explain to the vet that you just have to show they have had them and that you will not be bringing them back to UK, so no need to show more than that.
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by madscots
thanks for the quick reply, yes i am sure vet will say that they need this and that.
i am sorry your dog had a reaction, i was worrying about that to be honest, i just hope my 2 are ok, its such a worry isn't it?
Old May 11th 2010, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

Just back from the vets £59 for my two to get their rabies jabs, we are going to get the blood test done as we are going for 3 years initially, we hope to stay longer but who knows so its best to have the passport for them if we return.
Blood test at our vet is £40 each, which i thought was quite reasonable.

Julie