Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how much do u need to live on in BC?

how much do u need to live on in BC?

Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:19 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how much do u need to live on in BC?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
While BC is far from being cheap place to live, many on here seem to forget that many people live on far less then they do and do manage it, you just have to adapt.

If making 15,000 driving:

Live with roommates, I live in a basement suite with 1 other person, and rent is 450 a month with all utilities included.

Take transit, driving is an unnecessary expense and as long as one is not living out in Maple Ridge, Port Moody, Langley, Abbotsford etc, transit will get you around fairly quickly and without much an issue.

Learn to use dollar stores, many of the products are of decent enough quality to use, just be a wise shopper.

But if your making a large income going to such a small income might seem impossible to live on but its not, I have been living on 8-10/hr my entire working life as do many.

People tend to forget all those workers in places such as retail, hotels and other service jobs live in BC too and manage to survive.

You wont be taking vacations etc on a wage of 15,000 a year most likely, but you get used to it, its really not much an issue and there are plenty of things to do in Vancouver and surrounds that dont cost a ton of money.
While i respect that your circumstances dictate a thrifty life and as you note, if there's a will, there's way; however, if someone is moving to improve their lot, roomies in basement suite and shopping at loony stores and no hols is hardly a step up.....
Old Aug 11th 2011, 6:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
While i respect that your circumstances dictate a thrifty life and as you note, if there's a will, there's way; however, if someone is moving to improve their lot, roomies in basement suite and shopping at loony stores and no hols is hardly a step up.....
I know, just saying there is a way to live cheaply just have to accept you wont have certain things in life, but that it is possible, although depending on the person may not be something they can or would be willing to do.

I got around the travel thing for many years by working for an airline, which if your going to make a low wage are decent places to work if you find an airline with good flight benefits...

I should add I dont live this way much by choice, but mostly because I have never been able to secure a decent job due to lack of education.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Aug 11th 2011 at 8:16 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I in some areas I make a science of living simply(cheap) where possible.
When I go to a restaurant or fast food I cut expenses by asking for water instead of soda.
We are retired so when we go a restaurant we order one meal and split the order. DW can't consume a whole meal anyway. Desert, sometimes, and that is split also.
When I look at my expenses I see that most of my monthly income goes to pay for auto, health, home and RX insurance. So its insurance, insurance and insurance.
Just had a 4,000 mile vacation to Vancouver Island and the Oregon coast (no comment about the $20 for gas).
I still think we live fairly good.
Jsmth your my kind of guy! You must feel quite secure living below your income
I'm slightly interested in the topic because I was wondering if I could move to Vancouver Island for 6 months a year.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

This is getting like a Moncton thread showing who can live on the least amount of cash.

OP asked if $10k was enough for 6-8 months living including a buying and running a car. Answer is no, almost certainly not.

Ditch the car and then yes it can be done, but it won't be the high life. But as it's only until the OP finds a job then it doesn't matter whether or not people think this income level is long term sustainable as it won't apply.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:59 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
This is getting like a Moncton thread showing who can live on the least amount of cash.

OP asked if $10k was enough for 6-8 months living including a buying and running a car. Answer is no, almost certainly not.

Ditch the car and then yes it can be done, but it won't be the high life. But as it's only until the OP finds a job then it doesn't matter whether or not people think this income level is long term sustainable as it won't apply.
there is another option. The OP could buy a car and live in that. Just don't get a mini or a smart car.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

stacey.cook1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Vancouver Nov 09 with around $6-7k, we lined up a short term apt in west end, bought a laptop did a bit of the tourist stuff whilst looking for jobs - we were pretty much skint by the time we landed jobs in mid January. So being a single person you may make it last a bit longer but there's no chance your gonna be able to get a car and insure it if that is the case. If your looking at staying in the downtown core - there is no real reason to get a car as transit is good and pretty cheap compared to UK, we waited a year till we knew we could comfortably afford one.

We just renewed our car insurance after our initial policy of 6 months and our premium is $227 p/month, the basic ICBC portion of that is $150 ish p/month! that's with no no-claims discounts yet but still its not cheap!

Again if you can get cheap rent - like a house share as suggested, make sure its one with bills included, its so much easier to budget especially if you coming out with a set amount of $
Old Aug 12th 2011, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

wow!

quite a phenomenal response!
thanks to everyone for that.....everyone has their own viewpoints so im taking it all on board.
looks like it has to be the west end then...abbotsford etc are out.
as rgds a car, i was rather looking at bangers costing around $1000 to $2000!

last time i was there, i went to see some of them at that price and they looked ok....!
jobwise...yes, thats pretty much the moot point...ive been networking and applying but no responses as yet, aside of auto-responses that is!

im trying my best to get my foot into BC...rather not land again in ontario...my experiences last time will not bode well, methinks!

i was trying to get ahold of sheila norman (?) or someone sounding like that...apparently she has helped several peeps on here to obtain good jobs, but im not getting a response form her either!!

moneywise...yes, at present, around £6 to £7000 is looking like the max, but as one of you have said, 6mths is more than enough to get a job...i do consider myself relatively employable!

meantime, im trying to get as much knowledge as i can about other areas for work, such as social housing, financial services (altho this one doesnt sound too good in todays climate!!), quality assurance, healthcare administration etc....hopefully im bound to land something within those areas!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:02 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith

i was trying to get ahold of sheila norman (?) or someone sounding like that...apparently she has helped several peeps on here to obtain good jobs, but im not getting a response form her
you mean Shadi Norman. She is awesome, but she cannot get you a job she is an immigration lawyer, she can find a vacancy in your field and arrange a contact but you have to call them and get the job for yourself. She has handled our visa application and we are now job offer in hand and waiting on visa (appx 4 months. TWP, PR in 12 m) it does cost money tho.

Also I know she has been away this last week so maybe try her again.

As for the rest I can't comment as we are still in blighty but most of what has been posted above seems consistent with research I've done.

Good luck and Shadi is awesome. I'm sure she can help you.