How Much??

Old Apr 16th 2009, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Luckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud ofLuckyone has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Much??

Originally Posted by chumley
our property tax for this year is $636 last year it was about $20 less but yes we do live in the uhlu and yes taxes are much higher in towns

mind you not as uhlu as you might think we do have street lights, made up roads, store , and other facilities we are not miles from anything.

we are a good 120k from what I what call a town though

in rural NS thay talk of a town as being somehwere with 2 houees and a church that is not a town to me
Our place on the sth shore is in the middle of nowhere we have no paved road, no lights, in the middle of a wood by the sea, but the taxes are well over $2,000. As you know, where you live in the province is one part of the deal, the value of the home is the next important part. For the benefit of the OP I would still say that your taxes are incredibly low, and not to be used as an indication of what you can expect to budget for

And Chumley....Yes the province can make a huge difference, in answer to your last post
Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:06 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: How Much??

Originally Posted by chumley
think we shall have to agree to disagree on this

the facts are entirely different

my 2 pairs of boots that are good for minus 40 were $18 each
my thermal hunting coat for extreme waehter was $65
gloves socks etc all thermal were all bought for less than $10

Please dont frighten off the average BE'er who isnt loaded
who needs fancy name appliances been there seen it done all that in the Uk just aint necessary
and buy cars made in canada/us they are fit for purpose parts can be had for cents

no way would we have a fancy car it would be plain daft in this climate with these roads madness

a new car would have had its chips with a couple of winters salt on the roads so long as you are not defined by what you own but more by what you are all will be tikety boo and you will fit in a whole lot better with the locals without the unecessary flash
We didn't buy anything particularly flash when moving over except for the white goods as we expect them to last a long time.

Winter clothes were from mec

We bought a 2005 Mazda Van, nothing flash, for around $13000 plus federal and provincial tax, pus $1000 for the insurance gets to around $16000. Sure you can buy a GM car for less, but then you are more likely to have additional repair costs down the line.

I think that for the average family with kids, their needs and tastes, this is a relatively realistic budget.

Also, if I am coming over with children I want to make sure that I have enough cash. Worst case scenario, particularly at the moment, it could take a year to find good work. Even if you get a McJob it's unlikely to cover all expenses.

Buying cheap can cost more in the long term. If you buy cheap clothes and then have to buy again next year, haven't you wasted money? If you buy cheap cars then pay out to repair and get stuffed with the depreciation when you want to sell, isn't that a waste?

Now I understand that some people are willing to clip flyers and really live down to the bone. That's fine. I suspect that the average family aren't willing to live like that.

I think that my calculations are recommendable. Most people coming to Canada have equity in their homes they can use to provide that cushion.