Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How much $$$ to take for first two weeks?

How much $$$ to take for first two weeks?

Old May 1st 2008, 3:00 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default Re: How much $$$ to take for first two weeks?

In the meantime I've looked around and seen a bit better rates than my own bank... but all this info from everyone is really helpful! I think I'll take less money than I initially thought anyway...

When I was a student in T.O. I (almost) only used cash - and I had somehow had it in my mind that it was a cash society (much like New York), but either things changed over the last 6 years or my memory is fading (*alarm bells going off*).
Old May 1st 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gotoronto
When I was a student in T.O. I (almost) only used cash - and I had somehow had it in my mind that it was a cash society (much like New York), but either things changed over the last 6 years or my memory is fading (*alarm bells going off*).
We generally use our PC Financial Mastercards to pay for things, since we get free groceries by doing so .

I only ever used my UK debit card once when I was paying 4,000 pounds and they'd have charged a 2% credit card fee otherwise; I don't see the point of having a company take money direct from your bank account, with the risk that someone could steal the number and take money at any time, when you can get a free month's credit with the credit card and much less risk from fraud.
Old May 1st 2008, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soniataylor
Hi Britsnake,

What is the required id?
sorry not to respond earlier.

As has been said ID is usually straight forward. you should have two forms of ID, so if you have your Passport and your Landing form or Work Permit you should be fine. They list other documents that can be used, things like Canadian Driving Licence, provincial health card, SIN Card and PR Card.

When I opened my account, I just used my Passport and got a friend to recommend me. A few of the banks have schemes like that. It is a very quick and painless process.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be aware that UK credit cards can be a bit unpredictable abroad. There's no reason they shouldn't work, but it might be a good idea to have a couple of different cards to be on the safe side. We had a bit of a palaver trying to buy $2000 worth of Ikea furniture on my Nationwide Visa; we ended up having to get it approved over the phone with the one person in their call centre who was awake in the UK at the time.

Also, depending on who you bank with, your Canadian debit card might have a stupidly low limit when you first get it - we were stuck at something like $500 per day until we complained bitterly and got it increased to a couple of thousand. Getting a Canadian credit card should be a priority.
Old May 1st 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Also make sure that your UK Credit card and debit card company know you are going to be in canada as there is nothing more embarrassing than having a card refused because of their fraud prevention procedures.
Old May 1st 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britsnake
Also make sure that your UK Credit card and debit card company know you are going to be in canada as there is nothing more embarrassing than having a card refused because of their fraud prevention procedures.
Another problem is companies refusing to sell to you online because your Internet address doesn't match your billing address. I've had two companies refuse to let me buy their software online because I have a UK billing address but my computer is in Canada; even though the credit card company wouldn't have any problem with that.

Stupid thing is, I just dropped by a computer store at the mall next time I was there and bought the same software over the counter with the same credit card. Doesn't even do anything to stop hackers with stolen credit cards because they can spend the time to go through a proxy server in the UK.
Old May 1st 2008, 6:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Everything can be done with plastic in Toronto, so you're only likely to use cash for bus fares, street drugs and cups of coffee.
*splutters mouthful of coffee*

Old May 1st 2008, 6:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It is quite mad - I never used my debit card or credit card in the UK, I always had cash. Now I am like the woman above! I struggle to keep more than 2 dollars in cash in my purse and even bought something for 69 cents with my debit card the other week !
If I have cash in my purse somebody always wants it for something and I can't say "no" ..... but if I don't have any it's easy!!!
Old May 1st 2008, 6:35 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

One problem we had when we first arrived and we had a ton of cash in the bank (from the house sale), was that we had a limit on how much we were allowed to withdraw in a week, and we had to buy some stuff with bank drafts!!
Old May 1st 2008, 6:41 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
Another problem is companies refusing to sell to you online because your Internet address doesn't match your billing address. I've had two companies refuse to let me buy their software online because I have a UK billing address but my computer is in Canada; even though the credit card company wouldn't have any problem with that.

Stupid thing is, I just dropped by a computer store at the mall next time I was there and bought the same software over the counter with the same credit card. Doesn't even do anything to stop hackers with stolen credit cards because they can spend the time to go through a proxy server in the UK.
I get that when I'm trying to buy plane tickets on-line (me in Canada; my Amex billing address in the UK). I struggled for a good while last week trying to buy United tickets until (doh!) I realised that it probably had a UK website too. I should have known. I have to do the same thing with Air Canada.
Old May 1st 2008, 7:09 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
Even if it's a UK-issued card with a Canadian address you could still have problems as they use a different verification system with North American-issued cards. Mostly, online you're limited to using a Canadian credit card. One way to get round it is if they accept PayPal, then you can use a UK PayPal account linked to a UK credit card.
Old May 1st 2008, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

If your are changing over £500 always haggle over the rates. As a rule of thumb, the best high street rate is usually M&S but if you quote their rate to other companies, eg Thomas Cook, they will usually beat it.
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Rixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond reputeRixy has a reputation beyond repute

Used a UK MBNA card with Canadian Address never had a problem yet with online services in any country
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Even if it's a UK-issued card with a Canadian address you could still have problems as they use a different verification system with North American-issued cards. Mostly, online you're limited to using a Canadian credit card.
That's really not my experience. Amazon (USA and Canada) has my UK address for my UK card.

All other sites I use my card on, I have given my Canada address. Phone company, Cable company, several video/book sites in US and Canada, local newspaper, Staples, Sears, Municipal Water, Air Canada, WestJet, Canadian Tire, Hotels, Hotel booking sites, airport taxi services.....

Only Home Depot and Futureshop seem to be a problem with their non acceptance online while instore is oaky.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's really not my experience. Amazon (USA and Canada) has my UK address for my UK card.

All other sites I use my card on, I have given my Canada address. Phone company, Cable company, several video/book sites in US and Canada, local newspaper, Staples, Sears, Municipal Water, Air Canada, WestJet, Canadian Tire, Hotels, Hotel booking sites, airport taxi services.....

Only Home Depot and Futureshop seem to be a problem with their non acceptance online while instore is oaky.
Amazon is one of the few that doesn't care.

I wanted some stuff from Sephora, they do offer the Canada Post "Border Free" service for Canadian billing addresses but they could not deliver the items I wanted to Canada as that particular brand cannot be sold by them here, brand licensing or something.

I can have stuff sent to me in the US but they would not take my Canadian billing address. Some websites say US only but you can fudge it, however Sephora is not one!

So, I went straight to Amazon, ordered the exact same stuff from Sephora via Amazon, paid Sephora with the card that Sephora would not accept, and all arrived safely Daft, isn't it?! Presumably that sale is worth less to Sephora as they'd have had to pay Amazon some kind of referral fee, their loss though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.