Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many of you have.....

How many of you have.....

Old Nov 1st 2011, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

repap81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many of you have.....

In my experience it's easier to find employment when you're in the country but having a financial cushion to fall on is an advantage.

My wife and I have an 18 month old son and we planned to move over the summer (back to my wifes home town).

We knew the risks involved by not having secured employment first but we felt the risk was mitigated by having a reasonable amount of savings to back us up. We also had the advantage of being able to stay at her parents house so accommodation costs were minimal. With those two factors we felt the risks were mitigated as much as possible.

The economy isn't exactly booming in Ontario but there are jobs out there. It's just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Some people told us we were stupid for moving without jobs and with a child. Our money could have lasted us a few years but luckily after 2 months were were able to secure full time jobs.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:07 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by repap81
In my experience it's easier to find employment when you're in the country but having a financial cushion to fall on is an advantage.

My wife and I have an 18 month old son and we planned to move over the summer (back to my wifes home town).

We knew the risks involved by not having secured employment first but we felt the risk was mitigated by having a reasonable amount of savings to back us up. We also had the advantage of being able to stay at her parents house so accommodation costs were minimal. With those two factors we felt the risks were mitigated as much as possible.

The economy isn't exactly booming in Ontario but there are jobs out there. It's just a case of being in the right place at the right time.

Some people told us we were stupid for moving without jobs and with a child. Our money could have lasted us a few years but luckily after 2 months were were able to secure full time jobs.
That's great!

I wouldn't underestimate the cost saving that living with relatives confers, though.

It is a huge outlay for setting up a home - there were things I dd not expect, such as enormous deposits required by some Utility companies because we were new in Canada with no payment history (and no, the UK didn't count for this).
You probably didn't have to buy any furniture and suchlike.
Not only that, but living with relatives gives you access to local knowledge such as job-hunting and shopping advice and generally helps you to make less expensive choices on things like mobile telephones which you might do as a newbie.

All that alone is an enormous financial saving and that is before you factor in the emotional support that living with family gives you, not to mention the potential of occasional babysitting.

I am glad it worked out well for you, but you had a hugely advantageous situation there which lots of immigrants do not have.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

repap81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
That's great!

I wouldn't underestimate the cost saving that living with relatives confers, though.

It is a huge outlay for setting up a home - there were things I dd not expect, such as enormous deposits required by some Utility companies because we were new in Canada with no payment history (and no, the UK didn't count for this).
You probably didn't have to buy any furniture and suchlike.
Not only that, but living with relatives gives you access to local knowledge such as job-hunting and shopping advice and generally helps you to make less expensive choices on things like mobile telephones which you might do as a newbie.

All that alone is an enormous financial saving and that is before you factor in the emotional support that living with family gives you, not to mention the potential of occasional babysitting.

I am glad it worked out well for you, but you had a hugely advantageous situation there which lots of immigrants do not have.
We are still surprised at the cost of living here, even without rent. Just a 'good' car with insurance for the 1st year cost us $15k. I start work in a few weeks so I have to buy a second car, adding to the cost.

I've read a lot about the bonds some companies require in order to give you credit. Until my credit builds here, everything is in my wifes name (who is a citizen). I'm still shocked at the high cost of utilities here. I looked into a cable package the other week. To match our old Sky package which included Internet and telephone would cost over $200, 4 times that of the price

Although our situation isn't unique we are fully aware that having family here and money to support us for some time was the only way we were able to justify the move.

The move was to give our son a better quality of life than in England, and we believe he has that already.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Its fine helcat you didnt offend, i know what you mean about the husband being the main provider.

I would love to be the one who comes over first and finds a house and a job and stuff, but with hubby being a police officer he works shifts and therefore cant look after the kids and work shifts but i think we may have to compromise and figure something out.

Reap81: you had the ideal situation really so that helped you alot, even though i hace family in ontario they Are not very close i didnt grow up with them, and they may put me up for a week or two until i found something, but it wouldnt be long term, and they couldnt put all of us up.

He is looking into having sebatical leave they do do it in the police but im not sure on the max leave, he will have to check. My job wont allow sebatical leave but thats ok, i have a vast amount of skills and can work in different areas.

I wont deny i have niggling doubts in th back of my mind hence my post... But we will be bringing a minimun of £40k with us....which is a good start!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:00 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by repap81
We are still surprised at the cost of living here, even without rent. Just a 'good' car with insurance for the 1st year cost us $15k. I start work in a few weeks so I have to buy a second car, adding to the cost.

I've read a lot about the bonds some companies require in order to give you credit. Until my credit builds here, everything is in my wifes name (who is a citizen). I'm still shocked at the high cost of utilities here. I looked into a cable package the other week. To match our old Sky package which included Internet and telephone would cost over $200, 4 times that of the price

Although our situation isn't unique we are fully aware that having family here and money to support us for some time was the only way we were able to justify the move.

The move was to give our son a better quality of life than in England, and we believe he has that already.
Yes, we did it from a standing start - no relatives or friends out here, so we had to go it alone.
We were very lucky to meet some great people on this forum who helped us out with accommodation for my OH initially and that was a great help for peace of mind for me, knowing he had someone to ask and keep an eye on him when he was a rookie and also good for him to have a friendly face at the end of a hard day job hunting

But, of course, the financial side of it was all down to us.
Some of the start-up costs really did come as a shock ($1000 deposit for Hydro!), but at least, like you, we had money to cover it and my husband had a job from the start and well before I arrived so money wasn't a ticking time-bomb.

So glad you think it has been worth it.

Originally Posted by familyof4
Its fine helcat you didnt offend, i know what you mean about the husband being the main provider.

I would love to be the one who comes over first and finds a house and a job and stuff, but with hubby being a police officer he works shifts and therefore cant look after the kids and work shifts but i think we may have to compromise and figure something out.

He is looking into having sebatical leave they do do it in the police but im not sure on the max leave, he will have to check. My job wont allow sebatical leave but thats ok, i have a vast amount of skills and can work in different areas.

I wont deny i have niggling doubts in th back of my mind hence my post... But we will be bringing a minimun of £40k with us....which is a good start!
It is hard - there are so many obstacles in the way when you begin this thing and sometimes creative thinking is required (along with asking a lot of favours from family and friends!)

A sabbatical for your OH could be a perfect solution, even if it could only be enough time for you come and job hunt and him to house-husband.
Or even if he just blew his Annual leave on one stretch?

My husband had a job offer here within a fortnight and then he came home and did all the paperwork from the UK end, which worked out fine.
Others here have also found work as fast. You might also find something quickly and not need to use the savings, so then you could keep the 40 grand for college fees
Old Nov 1st 2011, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

College fees my kids arnt that clever well bybthe time i need to think of that we will have saved up again, as im hoping that the 40 grand will go in the bank for a deposit on a house a year later!

But thats all in hindsite

I have to say we are both very rational thinkers with our heads screwed on and i dont think for a second its going to be easy. But i agree that i should. Come out sooner and find a location and house and job hunt or even just job hunt and leave the house search until they come out but get some realter details for later. Weve narrowed it down to a couple of areas just need more research really.

Thanks helcat
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:15 pm
Island life at last

College fees my kids arnt that clever well bybthe time i need to think of that we will have saved up again, as im hoping that the 40 grand will go in the bank for a deposit on a house a year later!

But thats all in hindsite

I have to say we are both very rational thinkers with our heads screwed on and i dont think for a second its going to be easy. But i agree that i should. Come out sooner and find a location and house and job hunt or even just job hunt and leave the house search until they come out but get some realter details for later. Weve narrowed it down to a couple of areas just need more research really.

Thanks helcat
I am sure that you are both very sorted and are not underestimating the process.
MLS is extremely useful
http://www.mls.ca/splash.aspx

and check out craigslist to see rentals in your target areas (if you haven't looked at these already!)

It will give you a good idea of rental prices and how fast things move.
Craigslist is also great for all sorts of other things as well as rental property.

Good luck with everything.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

We did. We came here back in 2006 - 4 kids and 2 adults. But then again, we had a fairly big pot of cash to rely on and planned on renting for a couple of years, so didn't have to find the money for a down-payment on a house.

Our plan was that if we hadn't found jobs within 6-12 months we would go back... as it was, it took about 2 months for Mr Chookie to get a job and a month or two longer for me.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 7:05 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
^^^
This.

I'd think twice especially if i had a family to support.
which is very sensible but could mean you never get here, I think that if you have some money behind you for 6 - 12 months then its a considered risk to come here and then look for work
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks i'll check out them and craigslist too
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:44 pm
Island life at last

Thanks i'll check out them and craigslist too
It passes the time and is cost free window shopping

I always like noseying round other people's houses and looking at things I can't afford...
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

I used to work for an estate agent who sold £1m+ houses i wasnt allowed near them but i loved mooching through the piccies!!

I wish i did work on them imagine the commission!!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:57 pm
Island life at last

I used to work for an estate agent who sold £1m+ houses i wasnt allowed near them but i loved mooching through the piccies!!

I wish i did work on them imagine the commission!!
For a while I was in retail in high-end diamonds and designer gold jewellery We are talking Cartier and suchlike, so v.v.v.expensive - one diamond necklet we had was priced at thirty seven thousand pounds.

We were allowed to select a piece of the merchandise every day to wear to show off the goods.

Gorgeous.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helcat12
For a while I was in retail in high-end diamonds and designer gold jewellery We are talking Cartier and suchlike, so v.v.v.expensive - one diamond necklet we had was priced at thirty seven thousand pounds.

We were allowed to select a piece of the merchandise every day to wear to show off the goods.

Gorgeous.
OH WOW that pissed all over my job!! I'll have yours please!!
Old Nov 1st 2011, 10:16 pm
Island life at last

OH WOW that pissed all over my job!! I'll have yours please!!
It had its downsides.
The pay was also rubbish and it was a bit demoralising to sell a single diamond ring that cost more than twice your Annual salary .

It also had the effect of spoiling me with regard to diamonds.
I became a qualified Gemmologist while working in the industry, so I know my onions with regards to gems and I can't look at pieces without assessing their quality.

My husband doesn't buy me diamonds or gemstone jewellery because he couldn't afford the quality I am used to dealing with (or at least that is his excuse).
Sadly, his resources don't quite stretch to Cartier quality

Fun to wear for a while though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.