Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many of you have.....

How many of you have.....

Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice
Default How many of you have.....

Moved to Canada without having a job to go to??

I'm just curious as to how many have done what we are doing??
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

etjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant future
Default Re: How many of you have.....

Originally Posted by familyof4

Hi
We did in August. Had applied for lots of jobs before coming with no joy, found that employers here seem to prefer to meet you. Anyway my hubby got lots of interest once here and got offered good job just under 2 months in.

BUT he did apply for LOTS of jobs and people are very slow at responding, some don't at all, and the job hunting practise is different here you do have to keep on following up on applications, and pester agencies, and canadianise you CV. Also we did make sure we moved to an area that had plenty of the kind of industry we were looking to find work in, so got to do some research too.

Good luck hope all goes well.
Paula

Last edited by etjotoft; Oct 31st 2011 at 6:59 pm. Reason: imcomplete
Old Oct 31st 2011, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by familyof4

We did and, IMVHO, we were very naive to have done so.

We had no real idea about how easy it would be to find work, how different the hiring practices were, how quickly we would go through money.

We came over during boom time in Calgary and it was still not easy. I am not sure I would be doing it now.

We were about 2 weeks from going back. Having said that we had a good life in England, didn't live in a crap hole and weren't searching for utopia. I appreciate that others are different.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:01 pm

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

I did.

It was a gamble, but I had long since realised that getting a job without being in Canada was not going to happen.

I would hesitate at coming with as little cash as I did. I was extremely lucky to get a job within a month, I was already cutting down to one meal a day and had no back up for when the rent money was gone. I'd do it all again though, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:03 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We did, but we had a reasonable financial cushion.

Edited to add: this was when the BC economy was in the pits. I was told to expect to take six months to find a job, but to bring enough cash to last a year. I was gainfully employed within two weeks of starting to look for a job.

Last edited by JonboyE; Oct 31st 2011 at 7:06 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

etjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant futureetjotoft has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I did.

It was a gamble, but I had long since realised that getting a job without being in Canada was not going to happen.

I would hesitate at coming with as little cash as I did. I was extremely lucky to get a job within a month, I was already cutting down to one meal a day and had no back up for when the rent money was gone. I'd do it all again though, nothing ventured nothing gained.
Yes agreed - have plenty of back up money even with all our stuff shipped over, living not cheap!
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

familyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nicefamilyof4 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
I did.

I would hesitate at coming with as little cash as I did. I was extremely lucky to get a job within a month, I was already cutting down to one meal a day and had no back up for when the rent money was gone. I[B]'d do it all again though, nothing ventured nothing gained.[/B]
We feel the same we have a fairy big pot of cash to bring with us which i know will help to begin with, but if it fails then we come back.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived as a tourist, purchased some property with the intention of developing a business and then applied for a TWP. Self employed from day 1.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:22 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We did, we came to realise that without being here, finding a job was next to impossible. Even so, once here it took 6 months for OH to get one so we used up a fair amount of savings.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 7:54 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I came with no job..but i came with a enough money to last 12-18 months..i got a job within 2 weeks of landing so the money i had allowed for living became a kind of bonus.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

We did!
And although we didnt come with a huge pot of money, we did come with the intention of finding whatever work we could, until the more suitable job came up!
So I started work at starbucks and then found a more suitable job of being a Stay at home mum!LOL
DH got a job after a few months, but we also rented a cheap 4 plex, that was only $775 a month!
Good luck!
x
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

nativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to beholdnativenewyorker is a splendid one to behold

We did!
Hubby applied for loads of jobs, had some temporary work, and finally got permanent work after two to three months, infact he had three offers in one week!
I work with a company on a self employed basis, I was very lucky and just emailed them for a bit of advice, was interviewed and taken on!
I would say that you need to have a decent amount of money behind you as you spend it like water when you first arrive, and neither of you working is very stressful, even more so if you have little financial backing.
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet!
Good luck
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

We both came over with no jobs, and both had good, full-time jobs within 2 weeks of starting to look.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 8:50 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
We did and, IMVHO, we were very naive to have done so.

We had no real idea about how easy it would be to find work, how different the hiring practices were, how quickly we would go through money.

We came over during boom time in Calgary and it was still not easy. I am not sure I would be doing it now.

We were about 2 weeks from going back. Having said that we had a good life in England, didn't live in a crap hole and weren't searching for utopia. I appreciate that others are different.
I brought my job with me but I was prepared to come without it. A stance that was in retrospect stupid. Would I come without a job now? Not a chance, although I didn't live in a crap hole and wasn't searching for utopia either.
Old Oct 31st 2011, 9:04 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I brought my job with me but I was prepared to come without it. A stance that was in retrospect stupid. Would I come without a job now? Not a chance, although I didn't live in a crap hole and wasn't searching for utopia either.
^^^
This.

I'd think twice especially if i had a family to support.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.