Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many years credit before buying house?

How many years credit before buying house?

Old Aug 21st 2020, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Wella1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many years credit before buying house?

Hi Anya,

Unless it differs between provinces, I believe you need 2 years "notice of assessment" in order to apply for a mortgage (at least this is what we did in NS). This is what is issued by CRA after filing your taxes each year. Hope this helps. Good luck with the move
Old Aug 21st 2020, 2:55 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wella1
Hi Anya,

Unless it differs between provinces, I believe you need 2 years "notice of assessment" in order to apply for a mortgage (at least this is what we did in NS). This is what is issued by CRA after filing your taxes each year. Hope this helps. Good luck with the move
Not true in Ontario.. you need proof that you have a permanent job and have held it for a minimum of 3 months (and is sufficient income to pay the mortgage) - a copy of your contract of employment and pay slips - together with a letter confirming that you have passed the 3 month probationary period (where applicable) are sufficient to prove income.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 24th 2020 at 4:53 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:32 am
Just Joined

kitmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Some good advice here. I live in QC and kept hitting walls with the bigger banks who treat you very much as a set of statistics for mortgages and credit cards, I was with a big bank as they were across the street from work. As has been mentioned I got put onto a mortgage broker who knew the local bank mortgage department. They looked at me as an individual and after 6 months I had a sizable mortgage at a good rate. And having an 'asset'; at the bank I got a credit card and was off the races. Overall I felt like the provisional bank was old school and you could make your case, the big boys just don't care. That was until I walked into the bank and demanded all my money in a bankers draft. It took me an hour to get it having a series of increasingly senior people ask me to reconsider. I didn't trust them by then so was glad to go.