Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how many are on their way back to the UK?

how many are on their way back to the UK?

Old Aug 29th 2005, 8:44 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Question how many are on their way back to the UK?

I'm just a little curious, I read so many negatives , I am a Canadian, I have lived in both the UK for many years, and Canada, I have family on both sides of the water, and I have made my choice, I am heading home to Canada, but so many people on this site are living in Canada, and are saying its not what they had hoped, I wondered how many of people who are posting the negatives are actually in the process of heading back to the UK?...I have only really noticed one person who has said they are coming back to the UK!
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:22 pm
Remya

Default Re: how many are on their way back to the UK?

Let me guess. That would be seacreature?

Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

You have it wrong.....Seacreature is heading back to Nova Scotia.....see they know where the best place to live is....!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Tantallon7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Happydayz
I'm just a little curious, I read so many negatives , I am a Canadian, I have lived in both the UK for many years, and Canada, I have family on both sides of the water, and I have made my choice, I am heading home to Canada, but so many people on this site are living in Canada, and are saying its not what they had hoped, I wondered how many of people who are posting the negatives are actually in the process of heading back to the UK?...I have only really noticed one person who has said they are coming back to the UK!
Why don't you all do us a favour and decide to keep your negativity to yourselves?

Has it never occurred to you that there's enough weak-willed pessimism in evidence on this site as it is, to sink a battleship - how much more do you need to satisfy you?

And more specifically, what possible good does a question like this do, for your state of mind, and everyone else's?

Would the answer " 10, 000 Brits leave Canada every year by plane, whingeing and moaning into their plastic cups of Air Canada Tetley's tea", satisfy you, perhaps? or 5, 000? 8,752, maybe? And what good do you think this answer would do you, mentally, anyway?

Nurture your defeatist, neurotic, self-defeating grievances elsewhere, please and leave the rest of us positive-minded, creative, problem-solving types alone.
Now.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tantallon7
Why don't you all do us a favour and decide to keep your negativity to yourselves?

Has it never occurred to you that there's enough weak-willed pessimism in evidence on this site as it is, to sink a battleship - how much more do you need to satisfy you?

And more specifically, what possible good does a question like this do, for your state of mind, and everyone else's?

Would the answer " 10, 000 Brits leave Canada every year by plane, whingeing and moaning into their plastic cups of Air Canada Tetley's tea", satisfy you, perhaps? or 5, 000? 8,752, maybe? And what good do you think this answer would do you, mentally, anyway?

Nurture your defeatist, neurotic, self-defeating grievances elsewhere, please and leave the rest of us positive-minded, creative, problem-solving types alone.
Now.
Hi all as we all know that its a forum to discuss an issue of Canada so if you don't like whats posted don't read it or don't add posts to it!

A for the original poster a lot is to do with British mentality if you not whinging your not happy

I am a Brit too
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:44 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matty266
Hi all as we all know that its a forum to discuss an issue of Canada so if you don't like whats posted don't read it or don't add posts to it!

A for the original poster a lot is to do with British mentality if you not whinging your not happy

I am a Brit too
A balanced view is important so you are not expecting Shangri-La. Luckily I have family ( not close enough to count for immigration unfortunately ) over in Canada so I know it ain't perfect, but I have tried anyway. At least I'm not deluded. Keep those positive and negative opinions coming I say.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:46 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Now.
Don't you think your being a wee tad harsh !!!!

This person was only being curious.

It is a perfectly legitimate question to post on this forum and as the person has rightly pointed out, there does seem to be a few negative posts on the forum

Neurotic, how is this person being neurotic !!!!!!!!!!!

Self defeating grievance, please explain how you seem to think happydaz has some sort of grievance with this forum !!!

State of mind, I would say that happydayz state of mind is perfectly rationale

Your answer seems more whinging than creative

So back to the question originally posted.

Is there anyone out there heading back to blighty !!!!!!

Eddie
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:53 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Don't you think your being a wee tad harsh !!!!

This person was only being curious.

It is a perfectly legitimate question to post on this forum and as the person has rightly pointed out, there does seem to be a few negative posts on the forum

Neurotic, how is this person being neurotic !!!!!!!!!!!

Self defeating grievance, please explain how you seem to think happydaz has some sort of grievance with this forum !!!

State of mind, I would say that happydayz state of mind is perfectly rationale

Your answer seems more whinging than creative

So back to the question originally posted.

Is there anyone out there heading back to blighty !!!!!!

Eddie
Ed, I second that emotion !
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:57 am
Just Joined

jemma1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

As somebody who is still in the process of deciding whether to apply to emigrate to Canada, I find questions like 'How many are on their way back?' really useful. It's important that we don't head over there with a real 'the grass is greener' attitude and post like these help to give a balanced viewpoint.

Not neurotic at all! now, instead of arguing, could somebody answer the question please??!

Jemma
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:27 am
Just Joined

NS 4 Me is an unknown quantity at this point

Now.
All Happdayz did was as a simple, legitimate question, he/she did not express any personal views, blast any country or attack any person. If anyone is defeatist, neurotic, self-defeating, then it is you.
I suggest you learn to read before you shout your big mouth off
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Woodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond reputeWoodstock62 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame that things degenerate so quickly on this board...again!

I think Happydayz asked a valid question, one that people need to research. As Rich has said, Canada is not Shangri la.
I go through days thinking "what on earth are we doing???" In order that I can try to answer that question I do lots of research. One of the places I go is to the Back to the UK forum. Granted the people there are returning from a number of countries, not just Canada, but generally speaking the points raised are still applicable.
It might be worth having a browse on there.

Please, lets keep this place a positive but realistic one, and also one where people are not afraid to ask questions.

Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:04 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
It's a shame that things degenerate so quickly on this board...again!

I think Happydayz asked a valid question, one that people need to research. As Rich has said, Canada is not Shangri la.
I go through days thinking "what on earth are we doing???" In order that I can try to answer that question I do lots of research. One of the places I go is to the Back to the UK forum. Granted the people there are returning from a number of countries, not just Canada, but generally speaking the points raised are still applicable.
It might be worth having a browse on there.

Please, lets keep this place a positive but realistic one, and also one where people are not afraid to ask questions.

Actually it was I who said that, but I agree with what your saying, let everyone have their 'opinon'... people get a balanced view then !
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Happydayz

Good question Happydayz! Like you say, quite a lot of people who have moved to Canada from the UK comment on the negatives of living here but plan to stay here and do not intend to move back to the UK. I am one of those.

I think one reason for this is that we are able to vent our feelings on a british expats website - we are generally surrounded by Canadians in a Canadian culture. The last thing we want to do is alienate ourselves from our new friends by complaining about the negatives of Canada all the time . Also, they wouldn't necessarily be able to understand what we are talking about as most of them have not lived in the UK before so wouldn't understand our comparisons.

The other main reason for pointing out the negatives of living here is that we are trying to paint a realistic picture of living in Canada so that those in the process of moving over are more prepared for the reality of living here. I understand that it isn't very nice to hear the downside when you are planning on giving up what you have for the risk that is immigration, but it would be unfair to others to only comment on the positives as this would be misleading. I know how frustrating it is to hear the negatives - I used to read about them and tried to justify them by concluding that the posters were the problem - it couldn't be Canada !!

In the last year and a half of living here, I have gone through a nasty phase of culture shock and homesickness where you realise that Canada isn't perfect and that the UK actually had a lot of good points! We have carefully weighed up the pros and cons of living here as opposed to the UK and have come to the conclusion that no where is perfect and we won't get everything we want in the one location. When you finally reach that stage, it is much easier to decide which place suits your particular needs better. We have decided that for all it's faults, Canada is where we want to be.

Chris
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tangram
A balanced view is important so you are not expecting Shangri-La. Luckily I have family ( not close enough to count for immigration unfortunately ) over in Canada so I know it ain't perfect, but I have tried anyway. At least I'm not deluded. Keep those positive and negative opinions coming I say.
My appologoes for being short, it was not meant to say you CANT post items if you disagree just i thjought tantallon was offside with the rest of the team

Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:34 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
Good question Happydayz! Like you say, quite a lot of people who have moved to Canada from the UK comment on the negatives of living here but plan to stay here and do not intend to move back to the UK. I am one of those.

I think one reason for this is that we are able to vent our feelings on a british expats website - we are generally surrounded by Canadians in a Canadian culture. The last thing we want to do is alienate ourselves from our new friends by complaining about the negatives of Canada all the time . Also, they wouldn't necessarily be able to understand what we are talking about as most of them have not lived in the UK before so wouldn't understand our comparisons.

The other main reason for pointing out the negatives of living here is that we are trying to paint a realistic picture of living in Canada so that those in the process of moving over are more prepared for the reality of living here. I understand that it isn't very nice to hear the downside when you are planning on giving up what you have for the risk that is immigration, but it would be unfair to others to only comment on the positives as this would be misleading. I know how frustrating it is to hear the negatives - I used to read about them and tried to justify them by concluding that the posters were the problem - it couldn't be Canada !!

In the last year and a half of living here, I have gone through a nasty phase of culture shock and homesickness where you realise that Canada isn't perfect and that the UK actually had a lot of good points! We have carefully weighed up the pros and cons of living here as opposed to the UK and have come to the conclusion that no where is perfect and we won't get everything we want in the one location. When you finally reach that stage, it is much easier to decide which place suits your particular needs better. We have decided that for all it's faults, Canada is where we want to be.

Chris
Chris

Well said me dear
How are you these days, long time since we last spoke.

On the flip side I have just returned from a 3 week holiday with the family.
What about the culture shock of returning to the UK after a short break in Canada, back to usual shit encrusted pavements, pigeon shit everywhere, chewing gum all over the pavements, litter lying about the place and of the course junkie heaven !!!!!!.

I can say it was a culture shock to the family when we went back, so much so that my 3 year old son asks all the time when we will be going back to Canada, my other 2 kids aged 13 and 12 cannot wait to hopefully make the big move.

The family met Chris and her family and they were really supportive of why people like us want to move to Canada, so I would urge anyone who has not moved yet, listen to Chris and all others on this forum who moved from the UK, they know first hand what it is like.

Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.