Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many children in Canada actually play ice hockey?

How many children in Canada actually play ice hockey?

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How many children in Canada actually play ice hockey?

i always think hockey is rugby on skates. if they cleaned it up it would be football on skates and far cooler (my opinion). we used to live in the annex and the city made an open rink in our local park every winter. the kids had to shovel it! the year the canadian women were top all the girls were going mad for hockey. there was always a parent around playing with and it was such a great thing. the yuppies would be out at 10pm. then the DINKS came with their dogs who kept running on ice after puck, taking it, ****ing in the snowbanks and ****ing on the ice so it froze in. and they didnt give a monkeys!!! it was the greatest community resource and i recommend it to parents based in colder climes - push for it. but be prepared to defend it from those who would put asunder.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 2nd 2009 at 1:29 pm. Reason: Profanities removed - pls remember children read this forum, thanks.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

this forum doesn't have any where near enough threads dedicated to the game of hockey!

for all those experienced in the sphere of puck slappy or with kids playing etc.... do you know if there is any money to be made from coaching the sport? i doubt i am of NHL standard (or even CHL) but i would love to contribute to a community's hockey program some how.

currently i am the fixtures secretary for my local adult recreational (aka beer league) team and of course once in vancouver, i will be seeking out similar and at least twice weekly sessions, but i would like to do so much more as well.

i figure that seeing as i am chasing a dream by migrating to a whole new country, i shouldn't limit my ambitions solely to my geographical location, when i could also pursue those things i would much rather do instead of pushing paper in an office somewhere!

advice would be hugely welcomed.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
We have friends who are professional hockey players from Canada, who are lovely, intelligent, caring gentlemen.
Which goes some way towards explaining why they are not professional hockey players in Canada.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:32 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Which goes some way towards explaining why they are not professional hockey players in Canada.
That's hardly fair now is it?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
That's hardly fair now is it?
I think it is. How many "lovely, intelligent, caring gentlemen" play in the NHL?
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think it is. How many "lovely, intelligent, caring gentlemen" play in the NHL?
I can't tell and neither can you.

We have no idea what they are like off the ice.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

that would be wayne gretzky!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joydot
that would be wayne gretzky!
Not an ice hockey player in Canada by any stretch.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

chams is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not an ice hockey player in Canada by any stretch.
You obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about, or you have an enormous chip on your shoulder. Although that is a false dichotomy isn't it...
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 5:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chams
You obviously haven't a clue what you are talking about, or you have an enormous chip on your shoulder. Although that is a false dichotomy isn't it...
Perhaps I have the wrong guy. I was thinking of Wayne Gretzky, son of Walter Gretzky of Brantford Ontario, former professional ice hockey player now resident in the US.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:06 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps I have the wrong guy. I was thinking of Wayne Gretzky, son of Walter Gretzky of Brantford Ontario, former professional ice hockey player now resident in the US.
I don't think that Chams understands the word "in" !!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

ahhhhhh, he may live in the usa now but he is a genuine product of canada unlike many famous 'canadians'! without his example at a fairly critical time who knows how much more brutal the game of hockey might be... not the smartest but smart enough and very very dignified. go wayne! canadian kids need more people like him around. hockey is great for kids and they should all learn/ play at school - its parents and admin that need to get a grip
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

To bring this back to hockey......
My son (10) took this up when we arrived here. He has had 2 seasons playing here in Ontario. He is fit and athletic and he has improved no end with the amount of ice time and really enjoys the sport.
He is good enough for a lower level rep (competitive team) but we have chosen not to spend the vast amount of money on travel. Other parents in the same league (house league is the fun league) are also of the same mindset so you get some very competent players in the house league. But still competitive no less and also no body checking allowed till they are older.
My daughter (9) started hockey this year. She did learn to skate last year and then wanted to play hockey this year. There are loads of girls who play hockey where we are (Ice Wolves Kingston) and they really enjoy it. She's doing really well and having a ball.
She started off doing the hefford hockey camp last year and it just went from there.
http://www.femalehockeyschool.com/
Ringette seems boring to me (IMO) and hockey means that she can beat her boyfriends when she is older!

Husband also built a backyard rink and the extra ice time is fantastic. My son goes out and practices his skating trying things out which hey can't do at regular hockey practice.
The best thing about hockey is the parents - sharing a Timmies in a freezing rink; helping the kids dress (well, when they are littler) and shouting "Ref - offside!" Yes, even me, I know the rules now.
The icing on the cake was when we were at our local outdoor neighbourhood rink and both kids joined in the hockey - people aged 4 - 65 were playing. My husband was asked if he wanted to play but declined (owing to no skill!) but the kids both joined in. Fabulous.

We play serious soccer in the summer!

You can tell I like the sport! (But I think now it must be nearly soccer time surely?....)
Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:53 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
for all those experienced in the sphere of puck slappy or with kids playing etc.... do you know if there is any money to be made from coaching the sport? i doubt i am of NHL standard (or even CHL) but i would love to contribute to a community's hockey program some how.
The vast majority of minor hockey is run and coached by volunteers.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
The vast majority of minor hockey is run and coached by volunteers.
yup. i thought as much. thanks for the confirmation. i'd best stick to seeking out those lucrative administrative roles!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.