Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How many children in Canada actually play ice hockey?

How many children in Canada actually play ice hockey?

Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many children in Canada actually play ice hockey?

Originally Posted by Purley
In Canada its not "ice" hockey. Its hockey. The other kind is field hockey.
Among the unhyphenated it may be so but there's really no need for us to go native.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Its interesting because in my sons's class of 20 kids I think only 2 of the boys play hockey- grade 1.

My son is likely to want to play at some point, we have goals and street sticks at home, but I'm pretty sure he will only play grass roots hockey (its outside, low on competititon and pushy parents and its one night a week for 3 months)). His two friends that currently play play 3 times a week and my son has way too many other hobbies to do- soccer, basketball, guitar and skiing.

We ski as a family so a lot of our weekend is taken up with that.

Both my son and OH like to watch hockey- and I like it live. Watched a programme on the violence last night and it makes me very uneasy and TBH I cannot abhor the 'its part of the game and always has been' ' the game would be far worse with illegal checks etc if there wasn't fighting' attitude, I mean to me they sound like a bunch of morons and thats not something I'm rushing to get my kids into.

Gryph
Old Mar 1st 2009, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

Well you're going to fit right in. My son took up hockey last year and we all love it. Its a real family thing and we've met loads of lovely people through it.

We didn't have the time in the first year we arrived because we were building our own house and that just takes over everything in your life but he was patient and waited and he got his wish eventually.

We paid late registration fees and had to buy everything from new (found out later he was left handed so had to buy 2 more left handed sticks!!) but we still came in at about $1000 then of course travel and tournament fees but it gets you out and about in the winter months so money well spent. My son couldn't even skate when he started and now is their top goal scorer so we're very proud of him. He's now signed up for softball and soccer for the summer season as hockey coming to an end now but I would say to anyone with kids coming to Canada to give it a go. The teams do rely on parent participation in coaching and running of the teams so with your experience they would love you.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:04 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Both my son and OH like to watch hockey- and I like it live. Watched a programme on the violence last night and it makes me very uneasy and TBH I cannot abhor the 'its part of the game and always has been' ' the game would be far worse with illegal checks etc if there wasn't fighting' attitude, I mean to me they sound like a bunch of morons and thats not something I'm rushing to get my kids into.

Gryph
Hockey is an intense and emotional game played at high speed with potentially dangerous weapons such as sticks, pucks and sharp skates. One of the best things it teaches teenage boys is the importance of self-discipline and self-control.

Up to pee-wee level (13 year old) there is no hitting in minor hockey (hitting means body checking, not punching) so the game is much less physical. I think it is a good idea to introduce your children at this, or an earlier, age.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hockey/Canada = Football/UK.

You'll have no problem finding places to play hockey & skate etc.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeez, if you guys think hockey is rough, I take it no one on here watches UFC?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Yeah it's brutal eh
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:24 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
My kids played but I didn't like them doing so. I didn't like the violence. Really I don't see what's gained by teaching a thirteen year old girl that to hit another over the head with a piece of wood. I think boxing would have kept them equally fit while teaching them more useful life skills. otoh, since they mostly played at Moss Park (Toronto) and got there by streetcar and subway with their enormous foul smelling bags they did develop negotiating skills.
Yet again you don't know your subject. No one would teach a 13 year old to hit someone over the head with a piece of wood. If that happened, said kid would be thrown out of the game, and if a coach was "teaching" that, they wouldn't be coaching anymore.

I am very involved in minor hockey, it is a huge part of my life. Currently my 2 grandsons play "rep" hockey, but whether it's rep or house it teaches great discipline, teamwork, and these kids are fit. It also tends to keep a lot of them out of trouble. Going away on a tournament with a bunch of 15/16 year olds is a privilege. You sure get to know them, and the other parents, pretty well. It
is a great way of life for everyone involved, if somewhat expensive for the parents! The annual fees plus equipment costs can be prohibitive. Then there are the tryout camps, spring league, etc., which are added costs. We generally find that July and August is pretty much hockey-free, and we can't wait to get back at it in September when the rep tryouts begin for the new season!
Old Mar 1st 2009, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys for your replies. We are looking forward to getting the children started in teams at their own level in Ontario.
It looks to me as if plenty of children play, but also there are lots who don't. It is hard to tell at what level our children will fit in once we are in Ontario, but their Canadian coaches say A to AA level at the moment - guess we'll need to wait and see what happens at their trials.
Yes, ice hockey is a huge committment, in both money and time. But we have already made that committment here, I am already a licensed manager of a team here, and we are just as willing to volunteer and make the committment in Ontario.
I wasn't really looking for a discussion on whether hockey is a dangerous, violent sport - I just wanted to know if most children play hockey, or if we will still be in the minority.
Yes, ice hockey involves contact, and heavy checks, at the older age groups, but I do not accept that it is played by violent thugs. That would describe very few professional hockey players. Unlike most professional footballers, most pro hockey players are extremely well educated, who take their duty to the community and position as role-models seriously, and many have serious careers once they retire from hockey.
Any fighting is left on the ice. Hockey is very much a family sport, in which bad language is not tolerated.
Of course there are exceptions, but they are in the minority.
I have no qualms whatever in my children playing. Hockey teaches team skills, physical skills, social skills, sportsmanship and life skills (I like the comment about negotiating skills and travelling through Toronto with hockey bags!).
There are few other sports (certainly in the UK) in which a group of perhaps eighteen 6 to 10 year olds travel together in team coaches two or three hours away to play in regulated, licensed and very exciting matches; in which the older and more experienced players support the younger and newer players, and all play their part and are valued; and in which the youngest players are just as likely as the oldest to be rewarded with the man of the match award.
My children have grown in self-worth and confidence in the two years they have played.
We are all looking forward to meeting new friends through hockey in Ontario.
I hope the pro players in Ontario will be as friendly as those here in Cardiff who help coach my children.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 7:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
Yet again you don't know your subject. No one would teach a 13 year old to hit someone over the head with a piece of wood. If that happened, said kid would be thrown out of the game, and if a coach was "teaching" that, they wouldn't be coaching anymore.
Actually she went for several seasons leading the team in penalty minutes and expulsions from games, a proper little Chris Nilan.

Has the kids been boys I would have been more strongly against them getting seriously involved in ice hockey. I think the whole system of pcking your kids off to live with some strange man at the other end of the province is dodgy in the extreme.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:31 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
Difference in that hockey is not supposed to try and beat the opposition into submitting.

Strangely enough it's a fact more kids play Soccer in Canada than Hockey.

Look it up before you start typing any abuse.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
Any fighting is left on the ice.
But my point is why should there be fighting and why should it be tolerated just because the pro hockey players are community minded or educated?

Seeing two guys, helmets off circling for punches and then punching massively while the refs look on doing nothing is not my idea of a good role model game. Last night it said there were 60 such professional 'enforcers' in NHL.

No doubt it has all the other stuff you say, but so do the other sports we play.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:07 am
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

My son is just finishing his second year of playing hockey and my daughter has asked is she can play next session.

I'm not a great fan of hockey as I just can't get my head around why a bunch of grown men feel the need to fight when they're suppose to be playing hockey. My husband tries to convince me that it's just part of the game, and as it's a physical game it lets them get their frustration out, I'm not buying it, football is a physical game but you don't see them stopping mid game to punch the living day lights out of each other (ok may you do sometimes), my point being if they want to fight then take up boxing.

This is my son.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJJfK2f694
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Whiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant futureWhiskers has a brilliant future

My OH plays roller hockey – both here and back in the UK. He has played ice hockey here too. I am not to keen on the violence though.

Ringette is a big participant sport but I’m still not too up on the rules. The teams I have watched are girls only and I didn’t see any violence so once my skating improves I MAY give this a go….

It’s a great way to meet people – we had dinner with a couple of his team mates and their OH’s last night so it has even benefitted me as a terrible skater!

Cancucks are playing as I type!!! 2 - 0! Woohoooo
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Gryph mentioned Grass Roots Hockey....Very different to Timbits...My five yr son has done this past 'season' which runs normally from New Year until next weekend....It is wonderful and I would recommend it to all - girls are also really encouraged. It is all volunteer based and all outside. Basically 'Pond Hockey' for the little ones. Parents set up and coach. Kids get to have a blast. All you need is to be able to skate.

They learn all the good stuff with none of the negatives. One practice/game a week for about one hour. Even when it is -10 it is just lovely to be outside watching kids have fun and wear themselves out....!!

Website if anyone is interested www.grassrootshockey.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.