British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How many boxes??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-many-boxes-381743/)

Canada Jane Jul 4th 2006 9:20 am

Re: How many boxes???

Originally Posted by cancov
Thanks for that Jane. That price is over my budget, but I guess you have the advantage of it getting there more quickly by air.

You had 15 boxes- do you know what dimensions the boxes were and can you tell me did you find 15 boxes enough space for all your 'stuff'. How many people's stuff did you ship? I have mine and two children's stuff. I am planning to get the boxes this week I hope so I can start packing and get a better idea if I can afford to send all that I want to, or if i am going to have to make some sacrifices.

Good luck for Friday!! Where are you going to live?

Kellie

Hi Kellie

We had the following box dimensions 8 were 51x41x61 and 6 were 51x41x27, we also had one which was a combi of two boxes to fit some pictures in.

We only packed for the two of us and only packed things like books, CD's, clothing, footware, photos, camera, video camera, computer equip, ornaments and some tools.

We phoned Excess Baggage several weeks ago and got them to drop off a selection of boxes, they also include packing tape, bubble wrap etc. You can then request further boxes if you need them or return boxes you don't use. By some fluke, we used exactly the number we were sent and this was right for us.

Each box, regardless of size can only weigh a max of 35kg. We ended up having my hubby stand on the bathroom scales with boxes in order to make sure we were not over the limit. Some of this was very guess based, but the amount we guessed and the weight it actually was was pretty accurate.

Best idea is to do what we did and get some boxes delivered, perhaps more than you think you need and start filling and weighing.

Hope this helps, best of luck
Jane

cancov Jul 4th 2006 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
Hi Kellie

We had the following box dimensions 8 were 51x41x61 and 6 were 51x41x27, we also had one which was a combi of two boxes to fit some pictures in.

We only packed for the two of us and only packed things like books, CD's, clothing, footware, photos, camera, video camera, computer equip, ornaments and some tools.

We phoned Excess Baggage several weeks ago and got them to drop off a selection of boxes, they also include packing tape, bubble wrap etc. You can then request further boxes if you need them or return boxes you don't use. By some fluke, we used exactly the number we were sent and this was right for us.

Each box, regardless of size can only weigh a max of 35kg. We ended up having my hubby stand on the bathroom scales with boxes in order to make sure we were not over the limit. Some of this was very guess based, but the amount we guessed and the weight it actually was was pretty accurate.

Best idea is to do what we did and get some boxes delivered, perhaps more than you think you need and start filling and weighing.

Hope this helps, best of luck
Jane

Thanks again

I think I will be doing what you suggest and just getting the boxes to start packing. Its the only way I am going to know how much stuff I actually need to take. I can pack up the stuff I am not going to need to hand, like photo albums etc and I can 'test pack' our clothes etc, to see how much space it takes up. I am going to have a big sort out whilst doing this and get rid of loads of stuff.

I'm thinking that shipping a whole bunch of kids clothes is pretty pointless because by the time they reach Canada they will have probably grown out of it. They are at that stage where they are due a load of new clothes, so I will just hold off until I get to Canada and get them some new stuff at Walmart. By the same token, I would say that like 80% of my clothes is crap I never wear, so I may as well get rid of it.

Do people think if I said to the kids they get one box each to pack their most favorite/sentimental toys, that would be enough? I don't want to be cruel but at the same time I am on a really tight budget (ie I will be arriving in Canada with no job, no home, and $2000 max!!-the more money I can save on shipping, the more money I will have for when we get there).

Also, I am thinking of spreading my photo albums out in all the boxes. That way if a box goes missing, then I've only lost a couple albums, rather than if one box goes missing and it happensd to be the box with all the photo albums. Alaso if I spread them out, it should help spread the weight around.

Anyways, i am rambling on with my ideas here.....so much to do, so little time, don't know where to start....

Kellie

Canada Jane Jul 4th 2006 2:37 pm

Thanks again

I think I will be doing what you suggest and just getting the boxes to start packing. Its the only way I am going to know how much stuff I actually need to take. I can pack up the stuff I am not going to need to hand, like photo albums etc and I can 'test pack' our clothes etc, to see how much space it takes up. I am going to have a big sort out whilst doing this and get rid of loads of stuff.

I'm thinking that shipping a whole bunch of kids clothes is pretty pointless because by the time they reach Canada they will have probably grown out of it. They are at that stage where they are due a load of new clothes, so I will just hold off until I get to Canada and get them some new stuff at Walmart. By the same token, I would say that like 80% of my clothes is crap I never wear, so I may as well get rid of it.

Do people think if I said to the kids they get one box each to pack their most favorite/sentimental toys, that would be enough? I don't want to be cruel but at the same time I am on a really tight budget (ie I will be arriving in Canada with no job, no home, and $2000 max!!-the more money I can save on shipping, the more money I will have for when we get there).

Also, I am thinking of spreading my photo albums out in all the boxes. That way if a box goes missing, then I've only lost a couple albums, rather than if one box goes missing and it happensd to be the box with all the photo albums. Alaso if I spread them out, it should help spread the weight around.

Anyways, i am rambling on with my ideas here.....so much to do, so little time, don't know where to start....

Kellie

Hi Kellie

We had a lot of photo albums (pre digital days) and we spread them out over several boxes, mainly to distribute the weight. Although we also have albums with digital pics in, we also have all these on our computers and CD etc, so not so crucial.

We also took this chance to sort through all our belongings. Clothing got put into 3 piles - one to keep, one to bin and one to go to charity. We got rid of loads and the local charity shop loves us.

We also had over 200 CD's to take, so I ordered a load of thin plastic cases, which weigh next to nothing and we spent a couple of hours transferring all our CD's into the new cases. It saved about half the weight in total.

Paperwork was another thing we found we had kept, usually for no apparent reason. We had pay slips going back to the early 90's. WHY? The only trouble is, my hubby has his own business, so we have to keep all associated paperwork going back 6 years.

I'm sure that in months to come, we will be regretting getting rid of some things, but at the end of the day, most things can be replaced. With some items, like kitchen goods, I wrote down everything I threw away, so I have a list of things to re-buy when in Canada.

I have to say that I am quite excited at the prospect of buying all this new household stuff. We have been in out current house for nine years, so haven't really bought things like crockery, cutlery, utensils etc for years. How sad am I?

Jane

cancov Jul 5th 2006 7:45 pm

Well, we went and picked up 15 boxes this evening! I plan to start packing tomorrow.

I can't wait to see how much space this stuff actually takes up. Its weird, one minute I am convinced that I will need less than 15 boxes and then the next minute I am panicking that 20 won't even be enough!!! I guess there really is only one way to find out and that will be by packing.

Some more questions:

When I type out all the items in each box, do I then tape this onto the actual box itself? If so, do I literally just tape the 4 sides of the page to the box?

In my 'master list' of all the items I am shipping, can I just type this out on an ordinary peice of paper and then fill in the official 'goods to accompany/goods to follow form' when I am at the airport? Am I right in thinking I would have 3 copies of my list-one for me, one for the shippers, and one for customs?

I will be entering Canada as a former resident (a Canadian Citizen who has lived in UK for 12 years). My kids will be entering Canada as Canadian citizens, but they are not returning residents because they never lived there. Is their property (ie toys, clothes etc) classed as my property for this purpose?

Will there be any other formalities for us at the airport that anyone can think of?

Thanks so much in advance

Kellie

Ian12 Jul 8th 2006 1:29 pm

I am trying to figure out the best and cheapest way to have my 'stuff' sent to Canada. By stuff I mean: photo albums,paperwork, sentimental nic nacs, toys we can't part with, clothes, and general belongings. I do not plan to send any furniture or kitchen supplies, or anything that can be replaced easily when there.

I have searched this forum and just called a couple of the companies reccomended (Anglo Pacific and Cargobookers) to try and get an idea of where to start with this. I have got off the phone feeling even more confused!

What I can't get my head around is what I need to tell them with regards to the amount of stuff I want to send. I just cannot seem to visualise in my head how many boxes I will need in order to get a quote. Anglo pacific said their boxes are 48x43x61 cm and cargobookers said their's are 50x50x50 cm.

The stuff will be going from the Midlands to London, Ontario. I'm a Canadian citizen, if that makes any difference.

Can anyone please help me on this? I would like to hear from the people who just shipped over 'stuff'. How many boxes did you need in order to accomodate your stuff? How should I go about getting a good quote. i am afraid that because I feel so thick about all of this, they are going to try to rip me off. Already I had conflicting info. AP told me door to door service is no problem, whereas CB told me that I would have to pick the stuff up in Toronto.

Anyways, I just need to get quotes at this stage but I can't seem to figure out what to say to them. I explained I was having trouble imagining how many boxes to the girl on the phone. I asked if she had any idea of the average amount of boxes people in my situation used and she said she had no idea and I must give her a figure in order for her to work out a quote.

I feel so thick! Any help would be gratefully received.

Kellie

Have you thread the threads on Anglo Pacific. We used them and it was a nightmare. We lost several thousand pounds in the process. :(

Canada Jane Jul 8th 2006 10:40 pm

Well, we went and picked up 15 boxes this evening! I plan to start packing tomorrow.

I can't wait to see how much space this stuff actually takes up. Its weird, one minute I am convinced that I will need less than 15 boxes and then the next minute I am panicking that 20 won't even be enough!!! I guess there really is only one way to find out and that will be by packing.

Some more questions:

When I type out all the items in each box, do I then tape this onto the actual box itself? If so, do I literally just tape the 4 sides of the page to the box?

In my 'master list' of all the items I am shipping, can I just type this out on an ordinary peice of paper and then fill in the official 'goods to accompany/goods to follow form' when I am at the airport? Am I right in thinking I would have 3 copies of my list-one for me, one for the shippers, and one for customs?

I will be entering Canada as a former resident (a Canadian Citizen who has lived in UK for 12 years). My kids will be entering Canada as Canadian citizens, but they are not returning residents because they never lived there. Is their property (ie toys, clothes etc) classed as my property for this purpose?

Will there be any other formalities for us at the airport that anyone can think of?

Thanks so much in advance

Kellie

Kellie

When I did our boxes, I made notes on the contents for my own use, but on the boxes themselves I simply placed a lable with our name, destination details, no of box i.e. 1 of 10, booking reference number and shippers name and address. Do not put the contents list on the boxes themselves.

The goods to follow list I did, has now passed the test at Toronto and the officer said it was one of the best she had seen.

I did an initial list of the actual boxes with their contents and then a list of the types of content and their value in £ and $ with totals at the bottom (using excel) i.e.

Box 1 - Clothing
Box 2 - Toys, photo albums, books
etc

then

Clothing - £1,000 $2,000
Toys - £500 $1,000
Books - £ etc
Total £10,000 $20,000

For high value items such as laptops you need to list them individually and include any serial numbers

I used the exchange rate relevant the day I did the list.

I also did a similar list of things we took with us, including serial no's, for laptops etc.

This was accepted fine at Toronto (they require 2 copies) and I did a couple spare for myself.

The officer compeltes the official paperwork and simply stamps and staples your list to this. You then get given a computer printout which you need to keep an use to collect the goods when required.

As for the shippers, they sent me paperwork of their own to complete with basically the same info.

Our shippers told us that we would have an additional $150 approx to pay at the airport when we collect our goods.

Hopefully our stuff will arrive sometime next week - will keep you posted.

regards
Jane

jerry brewer Jul 9th 2006 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
Kellie

but how do you ship a bike??

Thank you

Hi
Not sure if anyone has answered yet, but we used what was an anglo pacific subbie, ( anglo wouldn't come past Brizzol.... tiz dangerous down 'ere im debon, what wiv all those pasties around )

Anyway we have shipped one bike & two frames, basically we were told steam clean them/ ensure there is no sign of earth on them, and then they will pass thro customs OK.

As to boxing I was surprised how vague the official way of itemsiing is, a box of my paperwork was simply PBO 'packed by owner', and there are some items that were labelled strange, i.e. laundry basket, we didn't have one, so we are waiting to see what it is when it is unpacked...
Also we have one box labelled as ' dog & cusions' , we did check but we still had our dog with us ....... :D
They produced a customs list, and customs on UK, found an extra box they forgot on the list.
On the downside we went for a sole use 20' container, but ended up with 1/3 of it as spare space...
Cheers
Jerry