Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to look more Canadian?

How to look more Canadian?

Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to look more Canadian?

After a weekend living in downtown Calgary it's obvious I need to look less British. The local bums seem to flock towards me with open hands like flies around dog pooh whereas they appear to leave the established locals alone.

So, how do I blend in? At the current rate of progress I'm going to be deported for thumpng one of them. I'm not insensitive to the plight of those less fortunate, just not in the mood for being hassled any more. 20+ times a day is just too much.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How to look more Canadian?

Originally Posted by Posidrive
After a weekend living in downtown Calgary it's obvious I need to look less British. The local bums seem to flock towards me with open hands like flies around dog pooh whereas they appear to leave the established locals alone.

So, how do I blend in? At the current rate of progress I'm going to be deported for thumpng one of them. I'm not insensitive to the plight of those less fortunate, just not in the mood for being hassled any more. 20+ times a day is just too much.

Wear a cowboy hat.
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point

What's your impression of Calgary btw? and compare that to the UK
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Baseball cap with the name of some heavy equipment company based in Gander, oversize plaid shirt worn open over grubby tee shirt, Wrangler jeans (Levi's in Ontario), Kodiaks. You could consider a moustache, a big straggly one looks the part, but a tidy one, in combination with the rest, is a little too Village People.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
Wear a cowboy hat.

Plus a frilly shirt and some fancy boots with high heels!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:14 am
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

That description fits the guy we saw today, in the beaches in Toronto, taking a cute dog for a walk. LOL

Originally Posted by dbd33
Baseball cap with the name of some heavy equipment company based in Gander, oversize plaid shirt worn open over grubby tee shirt, Wrangler jeans (Levi's in Ontario), Kodiaks. You could consider a moustache, a big straggly one looks the part, but a tidy one, in combination with the rest, is a little too Village People.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iwanttotalktoyou
What's your impression of Calgary btw? and compare that to the UK
I must really love the place, after all it's our new family home

This could go on for ever, but so far and in no particular order

Good Points
- Everyone is really friendly. You can stop and ask a complete stranger a question without being made to feel unwelcome.
- Feels safe. Walked back from cinema past midnight last night without any concerns.
- Town of opportunity if you are prepared to make the effort. Work hard play hard attitude.
- Cheap housing compared to the UK (I'm from the South East though)
- Lots of winter sports nearby
- Lots of wildlife nearby
- The Rockies
- Close to Cochrane. A Canadian town with character and wonderful ice cream. We're going to live there.
- Immigrants appear to be treated as equals. Very muticultural with acceptance for all.
- Uncrowded roads despite what the locals think
- Over 300 days sunshine a year. Beats the 3 days a year I'm used to in High Wycombe
- Being a carnivore is acceptable
- My asthma condition is never a problem here. Must be the clean air and climate.

Bad Points
- Downtown has to many bums
- Housing far too dense within city limits although decent sized houses. You do have a sense of space though, which I find a little contradictory and perplexing.
- The downtown area South of the railway track is dirty even compared to UK cities.
- Peed down with rain ever since I got here. Meant to be a rare occourance though.
- No character to city which is a bit too American in layout for my taste. Don't think any other major city in Canada is any better though. Will go back to the UK for occasional doses of history and tradition.
- Difficult to find somewhere to have a beer when we've got our son with us. Nonetheless lifestyle appears very family orientated.
- Country and Western music
- Some evidence of drug users downtown.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:41 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pollard
That description fits the guy we saw today, in the beaches in Toronto, taking a cute dog for a walk. LOL
Had the dog been in the ravine and was it dripping with black stinking mud ? Is this about the time the owner's house would smell of clean but wet dog ?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:09 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Grow the Canadian trademark moustache and finish it off with the alarmingly prevalent mullet. (If you are a bloke that is...although in some rural areas....). If you are a female, forget that ever knew what decent clothes were, re-stock your wardrobe from Walmart and then try again.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 7:24 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Change your route.

Or just stop and say hi and explain to them that you never carry cash or that you don't give money to people on the street. Ask their names, give yours and it will probably make your daily passing of them a more pleasant experience for you and them.

Or you could just ignore them, not look at them and pretend they don't exist like the bulk of the population does. (You probably looked at them more than a local would and that's what made them notice you.)
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

I love Canada! One of the things i love more than anything is that you can wear anything and get away with it. Not so judgemental about the clothes you wear. Freedom at last!

In England you always felt judged! in my opinnion anyway!

You felt the need to conform to society. Here i can wear what i like and feel comfortable about it.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:40 pm
Banned

pollard will become famous soon enoughpollard will become famous soon enough

There is some truth in that, and am with that all the way. Why spend silly money on clothes, when I can just go to wal-mart? But make no mistake, men/guys do make silly remarks about women, some in my office, always saying how some women should cover up during summer, cos they just ain't got the body to fit into that little skirt, top, and shorts.

So the women might not say it, but the guys it would seem, are the same the world over. Silly if you ask me.

Originally Posted by babyblue
I love Canada! One of the things i love more than anything is that you can wear anything and get away with it. Not so judgemental about the clothes you wear. Freedom at last!

In England you always felt judged! in my opinnion anyway!

You felt the need to conform to society. Here i can wear what i like and feel comfortable about it.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:42 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Dress like the local bums and flock towards them, give them a taste of their own medicine

Eddie
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:06 pm
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

ok from me looking like a tourist in Calgary..

1) Don't wear a wooly hat, one of the fur lined ear flap equiped ones is the way to go.
2) Don't have a brightly coloured coat (my excuse is mine was new )
3) Jeans is a must. Combats/Cargo pants are out
Old Jun 6th 2005, 5:28 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SirTainly
ok from me looking like a tourist in Calgary..

1) Don't wear a wooly hat, one of the fur lined ear flap equiped ones is the way to go.
2) Don't have a brightly coloured coat (my excuse is mine was new )
3) Jeans is a must. Combats/Cargo pants are out
I guess that it makes a change to the top hat and penguin suit eh!

Hey! Why is everyone describing Germans when they're trying to blend into Canada! Whatever happened to the redneck or lumberjack look

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.