Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long till we can buy a house?

How long till we can buy a house?

Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:48 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How long till we can buy a house?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Given that Canadians are now the most indebted individuals in the world he does kind of have a point.
Are they? I thought it was Brits?
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flipance
Are they? I thought it was Brits?
So do a lot of people. But unless it's changed the last 6 mos then it's not the case.

Last edited by Alan2005; Jul 5th 2010 at 3:57 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Given that Canadians are now the most indebted individuals in the world he does kind of have a point.
I think he is a she. Whatever the gender the poster has form for trolling in this forum.

In any case, I can't take someone who uses multiple exclamation marks seriously.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I think he is a she. Whatever the gender the poster has form for trolling in this forum.

In any case, I can't take someone who uses multiple exclamation marks seriously.
He/she does seem bitter.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:43 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

JonboyE, be serious, I could give you a lesson or two in the correct use of English Grammar. I have no form for trolling this forum so stop spreading rumours
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:45 pm

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

He/she does seem bitter.
I certainly am not bitter, as I have no desire to move to Canada.
I only speak the truth as it is. Getting in debt to your eyeballs so you can move to and live in another country is foolish.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips
I certainly am not bitter, as I have no desire to move to Canada.
I only speak the truth as it is. Getting in debt to your eyeballs so you can move to and live in another country is foolish.
Using credit and getting into debt are not the same thing. The OP was advised to do the former so they can build up a history with lenders which will make getting a good mortgage deal easier. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:53 pm

Using credit and getting into debt are not the same thing. The OP was advised to do the former so they can build up a history with lenders which will make getting a good mortgage deal easier. Nothing wrong with that.
Taking out credit cards, leasing a car. Debt, Debt, Debt !!! Mortgage, life long debt.

Credit is just a nice word for debt.
Debt is just a nice word for enslavement.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:00 pm

Taking out credit cards, leasing a car. Debt, Debt, Debt !!! Mortgage, life long debt.

Credit is just a nice word for debt.
Debt is just a nice word for enslavement.
You misunderstand. Building up a credit history does not require you to get into debt.

And I don't know how you think people buy houses without using debt to do so. I will agree that many (especially here in Vancouver) have put themselves into usury to do so, but that doesn't mean credit/debt are bad things.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:08 pm

You misunderstand. Building up a credit history does not require you to get into debt.

And I don't know how you think people buy houses without using debt to do so. I will agree that many (especially here in Vancouver) have put themselves into usury to do so, but that doesn't mean credit/debt are bad things.
Alan, I am just sick of this whole big mess this world is in now due to debt. Everyone just seems to be in staggering debt. Just bring back the good old days of living a simple life and saving up until we could afford things.

That way we could tell the banks to stuff their interest terms where the sun don't shine.

You guessed right, I hate debt. I hate the fact that we spend a good chunck of our lives paying a mortgage or 25-30 year noose round our necks.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:10 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone just seems to be in staggering debt.
I'm not. You're statistically inaccurate
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H
I'm not. You're statistically inaccurate
RICH, well you may be one of the lucky exceptions. But the rule of thumb in the western world is to encourage us to take out huge debts when we are young and spend our whole adult life paying it back, with plenty of intrest of course. Modern day slavery in disguise and I for one am sick of it
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Alan, I am just sick of this whole big mess this world is in now due to debt. Everyone just seems to be in staggering debt. Just bring back the good old days of living a simple life and saving up until we could afford things.

That way we could tell the banks to stuff their interest terms where the sun don't shine.

You guessed right, I hate debt. I hate the fact that we spend a good chunck of our lives paying a mortgage or 25-30 year noose round our necks.
There is a simple rule: borrow to buy things that go up in value, save to buy things that depreciate.

I think debt used to, say, buy a home, an investment, get an education or start a business is a sensible approach to financial security. Borrowing to buy a car, or a TV, or to take a holiday is a mug's game.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

RICH, well you may be one of the lucky exceptions. But the rule of thumb in the western world is to encourage us to take out huge debts when we are young and spend our whole adult life paying it back, with plenty of intrest of course. Modern day slavery in disguise and I for one am sick of it
You could just rent for your entire life if you want to, and only pay cash for things, then you wouldn`t have any debt at all. It`s your choice.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:21 pm

There is a simple rule: borrow to buy things that go up in value, save to buy things that depreciate.

I think debt used to, say, buy a home, an investment, get an education or start a business is a sensible approach to financial security. Borrowing to buy a car, or a TV, or to take a holiday is a mug's game.
I like the way you put this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.