Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how long for tax rebate payment?

Wikiposts

how long for tax rebate payment?

Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

molby will become famous soon enoughmolby will become famous soon enough
Default how long for tax rebate payment?

I received a letter from the HMRC this week saying I'm due a sizeable tax rebate because I only worked in the UK for six months in the 08/09 UK tax year

It says a bank transfer is being made to my account however the letter is dated Dec 15 and I haven't received anything yet.

Does anyone have experience of how long these payments take to get through? Can't call the edinburgh tax office during UK hours this week and can't find an email address for them.

Thanks!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:42 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how long for tax rebate payment?

Originally Posted by molby
I received a letter from the HMRC this week saying I'm due a sizeable tax rebate because I only worked in the UK for six months in the 08/09 UK tax year

It says a bank transfer is being made to my account however the letter is dated Dec 15 and I haven't received anything yet.

Does anyone have experience of how long these payments take to get through? Can't call the edinburgh tax office during UK hours this week and can't find an email address for them.

Thanks!
Ooh imagine if it went into the wrong account... he he

We had one a year or so ago - I seem to think it took a month at most to arrive in the bank account.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh don't start me on the tax peeps!!! My OH had a tax refund due.....the form was sent in September 09 then a letter back on November 4th 09...and thats when the fun started!! My OH requested the payment to be put into my account which is allowed but after a few weeks and still no sign, he then rang them. They had tried to put the payment into my account numerous times but in my hubbys name and it just kept bouncing back and forth for weeks because my bank wouldn't accept it in the wrong name....then the naughty buggers kept lying and lying saying it had been put in when it hadn't. My hubby had to call them 7 times about it and ended up having to speak to a complaints manager about it before it got sorted. As they had stated in November that it would be in my account in a few days after, I stupidly totally relied on the money for Christmas....the payment eventually cleared on Christmas Eve!! Talk about cutting it close...I had to tearass around on Christmas Eve muttering obscenities about the tax office idiots as I scooped up the last packet of stuffing and cranberry sauce

.......anyway......to conclude...yeah we got it but it was like getting blood out of a stone. I think we were just mega unlucky that we had to deal with the muppets in The N.Wales Wrexham branch....hope for your sake that you are not being dealt with by them or you are royally stuffed
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:41 am
Banned

How long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really niceHow long is just really nice

Hi, I work in tax, not for HMRC but have to deal with them every day. They mess up quite a lot at the moment as they do have a lot of muppets working there. It can vary depending whether you are in the Self Assessment system or not. Normally they say to allow up to 14 days to receive the repayment but if someone hasn't pressed the correct buttons you will not receive it. It sounds to me that this may be the case. I would phone them when you can because some of the offices are around 8 weeks or more behind on post/correspondence at the moment so I wouldn't write. Keep on at them and don't let them fob you off. If you get a muppet, ask to speak to a manager.

Hope you receive it soon
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:59 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm.
I left the UK in Aug 08 and never really bothered with the tax issues.
I guess I should get in contact and see if I'm due a rebate...
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:06 pm

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point

we filled ours out before we left in sept 08
i received a refund via chq around dec 08, all i did was give them our new address in canada and they sent it..............

Not sure if it was easier for them to send the chq, but it was a nice shock to get it, was even nicer in july 09 to be told i had a massive back payment off tax credits, they had done my payments wrong for along time, so they owed me

anyone who leaves the country should fill the forms and advise tax credits that you are leaving left, you never know what you will get
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

i had 1 of those and it is a fraud e-mail and looks just like its from inland revenue sent it to my accountant told me to do nothing as i owe them BE VERY CARFULL they will ask for your bank details so they can deposit your refund
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Idomeneus is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you file a tax return for 08/09, as I believe the HMRC(tax office) do not volunteer tax rebates. If I worked part of the year the HMRC would not contact me and say 'we owe you'.

I think the trigger for most people moving abroad who do not file tax returns is the P85. This form states that you are leaving the country and you enclose your P45 and P45u, if you were unemployed. This is what the HMRC use to decide if you are owed/owe any tax.

In my case I worked the 4 months this tax year (09/10) in the UK, so paid a lot if tax. As I am soon leave for Canada, I need to get some of that (PAYE) tax back. So, if you worked for part of a year in the UK and the departed to Canada, then it is up to you to claim for tax rebate.

ps. all the above is from my experience and may not be necessarily 100% correct.

pps. if anyone filed a http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/CNR/p85.pdf how long did it take to get a rebate?

Originally Posted by molby

Thanks!
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

molby will become famous soon enoughmolby will become famous soon enough

Yes, I was self employed before I came to Canada so I did my self assessment as usual and had a nice fat figure at the end of it this year

I received a letter on HMRC paper - wouldn't respond to an email.

I've worked out that they have sent the payment to an incorrect account number - they put two 4s instead of two 8s.
I just called HMRC and they told me I have to write to them by mail to inform them of the bank account changes and they will send the money again.

I have a feeling this could be the start of a long saga...

**To be fair to HMRC... I just checked my tax return and the number typo was my mistake, not their's. Lesson - always check the important stuff before you press send!!!!!

Last edited by molby; Jan 21st 2010 at 3:31 am.