Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long to get a driving license?

How long to get a driving license?

Old Aug 28th 2004, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long to get a driving license?

Originally Posted by stavex
How much of a wait did you have from applying for the practical test to taking it? We aim to get our licenses done ASAP, so it would really help if you could let us know how long.

Thanks
MAtt
Hi Matt

It's been a wee while since I took the tests, but I think it's a 2 week wait before you can take the driving test after taking the knowledge test. You can drive on your UK licence for 90 days and then have to obtain a BC licence. There shouldn't be much of a wait in Dawson Creek (if at all), but a couple of weeks ago in the Kelowna area they were booking into end of October.

From what I've been told, if hubby fails his written test, his UK licence will be held until he returns to write and passes. His UK licence will be returned to him once he passes the BC testing. I was told that as an experienced driver he wouldn't have to do "graduated licencing" at all... but I didn't ask what would happen if he failed the driver's test (which I doubt he would). I'll try to remember to ask about that and what the time limit is between the knowledge test and the driving exam... I'll let you know what I find out.

Oggy
Old Aug 29th 2004, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

stavex will become famous soon enough

Very kind, thanks a lot

Matt

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Hi Matt

It's been a wee while since I took the tests, but I think it's a 2 week wait before you can take the driving test after taking the knowledge test. You can drive on your UK licence for 90 days and then have to obtain a BC licence. There shouldn't be much of a wait in Dawson Creek (if at all), but a couple of weeks ago in the Kelowna area they were booking into end of October.

From what I've been told, if hubby fails his written test, his UK licence will be held until he returns to write and passes. His UK licence will be returned to him once he passes the BC testing. I was told that as an experienced driver he wouldn't have to do "graduated licencing" at all... but I didn't ask what would happen if he failed the driver's test (which I doubt he would). I'll try to remember to ask about that and what the time limit is between the knowledge test and the driving exam... I'll let you know what I find out.

Oggy
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Little Hazel is an unknown quantity at this point

How much of a wait did you have from applying for the practical test to taking it? We aim to get our licenses done ASAP, so it would really help if you could let us know how long.

Thanks
MAtt
Hello Matt,

I can only speak for B.C. where we are living, but shortly after we arrived I mean a couple of weeks, my husband and I took the theory test and then my husband took his test a week later, I took it about two weeks after the theory, hope this helps.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved from the UK to Alberta, if you have a UK licence you can use it for 3 months, but if you have an international licence you can use this for 12 months. Have you looked into the International Licence in BC ? It seems crazy that this licence gives you 12 months given that all you do to get one is go down to the post office and pay a small fee !!

I recently passed my test in Alberta but had a run in with the police. I passed the theory test, which gives you a grade 7 licence (beginners), I carried on driving my car becasue I had the UK and International licence. I had to wait 10 days before I could sit the practical test which then gives you the full Grade 5 licence. The police stopped me, car and bike together, during rush hour in downtown Edmonton and basically said that because I am officially a grade 7 driver I should only be driving with a qualified driver in the passenger seat and between the hours of 7am and midnight. As soon as I became an Alberta licence holder they fail to recognise all othe licences. It seems crazy to me for the 10 day period !!! so beware if a similar situation exists in BC

Good luck
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:04 am
Just Joined

LBThomas69 is an unknown quantity at this point

New to this forum, just wanted to know if you can use or transfer a US Liscence in Canada?
Old Sep 4th 2004, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bozlyone
As soon as I became an Alberta licence holder they fail to recognise all othe licences.
And what happened next? You got off with a warning or did you have to pay a fine?
Old Sep 4th 2004, 2:16 pm
squarepants

Yes you can ! I believe this is possible in all the provinces, but I stand corrected on this.

Originally Posted by LBThomas69
New to this forum, just wanted to know if you can use or transfer a US Liscence in Canada?

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matt

Oggy
Hi again Matt!

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you - had to talk to my friend who works at Driver's Services at ICBC. I'm glad I checked as I gave you the incorrect info above!!

From what she told me, you don't need to wait to take the road test. After passing the knowledge test, you can take the road test the next day (provided an appointment is available).

If you should fail the knowledge test, you just come back and try again... the DL won't be held. If you pass the knowledge test, you can legally drive on your UK licence until you pass the BC road test. If you should fail the road test, then your DL is held until you return and pass the test - upon passing, it is then returned to you. If you fail the road test, you have to wait a week before trying again. Since you are an experienced driver, you would not have to go into the graduated licencing program if you fail.

She also said that all North American licences are reciprocal (can be exchanged for BC DL), as well as German, Swiss and Japanese. There may be others, I just can't recall them all!

I asked about the international DL - she said that they are essentially for when you are travelling and were just a translation of your DL and not an actual licence. She said after establishing residence in BC, you would need to obtain a BC DL after 3 months.

Hope this helps you somewhat!

Oggy
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:54 pm
squarepants

Nessie.....You are replying to yourself Cabin pressure setting in I see, it's hot out there, going for a drive later on

Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by squarepants
Nessie.....You are replying to yourself Cabin pressure setting in I see, it's hot out there, going for a drive later on
Haha... yeah I know... I screwed up previously on this thread and gave him the wrong info - just setting it straight!

Oggy

PS) I did sign it Oggy.... Nessie is hubby!!
Old Sep 4th 2004, 6:06 pm
squarepants

I will take your words for it

Haha... yeah I know... I screwed up previously on this thread and gave him the wrong info - just setting it straight!

Oggy

PS) I did sign it Oggy.... Nessie is hubby!!

Old Sep 4th 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toontje
And what happened next? You got off with a warning or did you have to pay a fine?
After about 30 minutes of discussion !! they let me off but told me to try and drive with a qualified driver as I was technically breaking the law.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Oggy

Thanks very much.... that is really helpful and informative, way above what I expected. I am really grateful

I found out from a broker that they will insure us on UK licences initially, without a surcharge until we get our BC licences, so we won't have to pay exorbitant hire car charges for too long!

Matt
Old Sep 5th 2004, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oggy

Thanks very much.... that is really helpful and informative, way above what I expected. I am really grateful

I found out from a broker that they will insure us on UK licences initially, without a surcharge until we get our BC licences, so we won't have to pay exorbitant hire car charges for too long!

Matt
You're very welcome! I did include more information than you requested - got on a roll after speaking to my pal and thought I'd just include it all!!

Good to hear that you are making progress!

Cheers

Oggy
Old Sep 6th 2004, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

You're very welcome! I did include more information than you requested - got on a roll after speaking to my pal and thought I'd just include it all!!

Good to hear that you are making progress!

Cheers

Oggy
Yes, all seems to be going to plan (except our house sale here fell through ). There seems so much to do, and so much to find out though!

thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.