Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

how long does it take from the uk

how long does it take from the uk

Old Jul 25th 2003, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

brit_in_fizroy will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by samsx2ht
It is much the same here in the UK now - my husband has been a contractor in the IT world for 10 years now and for the first time ever he was out of work for 6 weeks, we consider ourselves lucky as many of our friends have been out of work for 6 - 12 months. Agents don't call back, they don't call you when a job matches the criteria on your CV that they have on record, one interview he went for in the afternoon, the job had allready been given to somebody that morning but nobody thought to mention it to him and the interview was a farce ! They don't bother with feedback from interviews. It used to be that agents were chasing contractors all the time now its the other way around and rates have dropped by up to 50%.
I think there must be a worldwide downturn in IT - apart from in India of course as it seems much of the work is being sent there because companies can exploit cheap labour.
Christine
interesting to note your "cheap labour" remark, don't forget everything is relative! on a different note, I believe one of the main attractions with india in the IT market is that they adhere to the highest levels of configuration managment of their software development - and are one of the countries having the most SEI level 5 companies in the world! it appears they arrived in the IT world late and consequently took on the current standards. The west however is full of luddites who practice methods that they learned years ago - way to go India!
Old Jul 25th 2003, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

samsx2ht is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Originally posted by brit_in_fizroy
interesting to note your "cheap labour" remark, don't forget everything is relative! on a different note, I believe one of the main attractions with india in the IT market is that they adhere to the highest levels of configuration managment of their software development - and are one of the countries having the most SEI level 5 companies in the world! it appears they arrived in the IT world late and consequently took on the current standards. The west however is full of luddites who practice methods that they learned years ago - way to go India!
Yes, I'm probably just a bit fed up with receiving endless calls from people that I can hardly understand, and when questioned find out that these cold calls are from English companies using call centres in Delhi, amongst other places. It is not the peoples fault, they are earning an honest living.

When I worked in a large telecommunications company many years ago on IT projects we had just started doing SEI grading and the amount of back working of documents to "prove" that we could earn a certain level made a bit of a mockery of the system. I am therefore somewhat sceptical of standards although not all companies are the same I'm sure.
Note to self - must be less cynical
Old Jul 26th 2003, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future
Default Re: moving

Hi,

I'm a Unix bod - live in Victoria - there is quite a market here for Unix skills - your certainly not as in demand as when I left the UK 2 years ago but the work is there..

Originally posted by ClareBC
If you are a UNIX bod - check monster etc. The market for UNIX is none existent out West (BC) and only just alive in Alberta.

Ontario would have more vacancies for your strengths.

Clare
Old Jul 26th 2003, 9:24 am
I am the other man....

port7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default there is hope then!

i do aix, linux and a little bit of solaris. whats the main one over there? solaris seems to be the one that everyone is asking for.

also back to the original question of the thread....

how long does the process take from sitting in the front room of your house in the uk to sitting in the hot-tub of your new house in canada?
Old Jul 26th 2003, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

mark g is an unknown quantity at this point

hi we applied to london in jan 03 and recieved our aor in march,still waiting for a letter from chc,we where told by a lady at the high commmission that the whole process is about 12-16 months,we applied under the skilled cat,and we are going to go to regina,i hate the waiting part of the whole process,would like to hear about anyone elses timelines or anyone going to regina or live there,thanks mark
Old Jul 27th 2003, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future
Default Re: there is hope then!

Hi,

Mainly Solaris and AIX, Linux is gaining a foot hold though. One thing worth mentioning though is certifications seem to be king. Have you got any certifications ?

Cheers - Steve.

Originally posted by port7
i do aix, linux and a little bit of solaris. whats the main one over there? solaris seems to be the one that everyone is asking for.

also back to the original question of the thread....

how long does the process take from sitting in the front room of your house in the uk to sitting in the hot-tub of your new house in canada?