Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long did it take to move to Canada after obtaining PR?

How long did it take to move to Canada after obtaining PR?

Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:45 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take to move to Canada after obtaining PR?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
We did it the old fashioned way. Applied for PR, got it, sold up everything in the UK, got on a plane, arrived, stayed.
same here - it took around 4-5 months to get everything organised once we got the approval
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:47 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback

I'd add that there comes a point where one has to decide to "make the Leap".

Research is great, considering all the pros & cons is great, but eventually one needs to make the decision & get on with it/move on.
Agree, and no matter how much research you do, your circumstances will be different to everyone else's so you really can't predict how things are going to turn out, same as if you stayed put, or moved within the UK.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Depending which stream you obtain PR under circumstances will differ.
Those on spousal/common law sometimes move on dual intent and then submit an application and wait it out in Canada for their PR to be approved.
Those who have applied with the promise of a job may choose to move asap once COPR forms have been issued.
Some arrive one day do the landing and return the next day and the odd one will push the 3 years before returning to Canada.
Remember the COPR forms have an expiry date of 12 months from the result of the medical exam or sooner if passport expires within the 12 months. some have been given literally weeks to activate PR status before it expires.
Do your own research and see what works for you.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Minus 18months here too.

I have to ask... I know you have been trying for many years but when push comes to shove, do you hand on your heart honestly want to move now? To a casual observer all these questions might indicate a change of heart. I'm not saying this in a sarcastic manner whatever you might think of me, but given how long you have been trying anyone might think you would be jump on a plane, let's go.

I don't reside in the camp of thinking you'll regret it if you don't do it. I think to understand the value of your current life especially when you have children is not to be overlooked.
Just to clarify, you were granted PR, then 18months later you moved over?

Can I ask please, (in a non argumentative manner honest lol) But what do you mean by "all these questions.."?
Out of all the posts I've made, I don't think I've wrote anything like "I'm not sure I want to emigrate now"...
I would say the majority of my posts / questions have been in search for practical information..

Also, were you not the one who stated that "I would be crazy" to consider moving at the moment whilst my wife's nursing registration had not came through yet?
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roberto1980

Can I ask please, (in a non argumentative manner honest lol) But what do you mean by "all these questions.."?
Out of all the posts I've made, I don't think I've wrote anything like "I'm not sure I want to emigrate now"...
I would say the majority of my posts / questions have been in search for practical information..

Also, were you not the one who stated that "I would be crazy" to consider moving at the moment whilst my wife's nursing registration had not came through yet?
I don't think any one post has said that you don't want to emigrate, but the sum of your posts indicates to a casual observer that you appear to be getting cold feet. In particular, a lot of your questions relate to information that people would usually research before going through the (expensive and time consuming) process of getting PR.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Moved over on a temp work permit. Applied for PR after a year here and got it after six months... Hence the minus as others wrote too.

You have posted or responded on posts which seem to me less about the practical side of immigration and more subjective parts of immigration- emotional or otherwise - asking people's rationale for what choices they made which seems to indicate some doubt to me.

Unless you have a good job lined up or know you will have the skills to acquire one and don't require your wife's salary to make ends meet then yes I think waiting if you can would be a logical thing to do. Has she heard anything? But if that is your plan then it doesn't matter what others do. Your pathway of immigration would work around that decision which I also mentioned in the same post you quote from..

Last edited by Tirytory; Nov 19th 2015 at 7:52 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 6:36 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Since I made the first rather facetious reply, let me clarify that in my case at least, the "minus" meant I moved a long time before gaining PR. I moved over on a TWP as an intra-company transferee, and applied through the Canadian Experience route as that opened up just as the 'old' FSW program was collapsing under its own weight.

I would tend to agree with Tirytory, though - you do seem to be asking a number of fundamentally unanswerable questions. At some point, you have to just decide one way or the other and live by that decision...
Old Nov 19th 2015, 7:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

No two individuals' or families' circumstances are going to have any bearing on each other. We all have differing situations and needs. You move when it's right for yourself; simple as that. It can take a day it can take as long as you have left since your medical.
You don't have to do it at all of course!
Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Since I made the first rather facetious reply, let me clarify that in my case at least, the "minus" meant I moved a long time before gaining PR. I moved over on a TWP as an intra-company transferee, and applied through the Canadian Experience route as that opened up just as the 'old' FSW program was collapsing under its own weight.

I would tend to agree with Tirytory, though - you do seem to be asking a number of fundamentally unanswerable questions. At some point, you have to just decide one way or the other and live by that decision...
This (bolded & underlined) sums it up nicely.

I never really considered moving to/wanted to move to Canada. Once the question/opportunity arose, I made a decision & just got on with it.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 10:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

you do seem to be asking a number of fundamentally unanswerable questions.
In a total of 33 threads started in the last 12 months. FFS.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 10:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

you do seem to be asking a number of fundamentally unanswerable questions.
In a total of 33 threads started in the last 12 months. FFS.

I've no objection to the volume but rather to the lack of content.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 11:49 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Moved here as a tourist, purchased property and a business and applied for a TWP which was granted about 5 months after arrival. PR took an additional 3 years to be processed.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

We made our plans and timelines before we applied for spousal PR. We landed in the October and returned to UK to sell up with the intention of moving over in time for the children to start the new school year in Canada. We left the Uk the summer after we landed.
Old Nov 21st 2015, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I

A lot of good people who applied in 2007 got screwed by system changes and after 4 or 5 years had their money sent back with their time, effort and dreams wasted.
Like JamesM we applied in 2007 - told it would be 42-48 months. Got PR Nov 2009 and moved June 2010. Luckily we weren't one of the very unfortunate people who applied in 2007, waited for years then got told the rules had changed. Some had very similar application date as us.
We become citizens next Saturday!