Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long can you drive in Ontario

How long can you drive in Ontario

Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

nm2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long can you drive in Ontario

on a British driving license before having to take a canadian test?

and do you have to retake all tests ie if you have a class 1 driving license here in England
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:35 am
Just Joined

tracykate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long can you drive in Ontario

I believe its only 3 months you can drive on british license, but i just swapped my british one over for an ontario one and no tests were needed.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

nm2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You must swap your licence in Ontario within 60 days.

If you have been driving on a full UK licence for less than 2 years (in the past 3) you can't swap your licence and will need to enter the graduated licencing program. You will get credit for any experience you can prove.

If you have been driving on a full UK licence for more than 2 years then you will be able to swap your licence.

More info here: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx

Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
You must swap your licence in Ontario within 60 days.

If you have been driving on a full UK licence for less than 2 years (in the past 3) you can't swap your licence and will need to enter the graduated licencing program. You will get credit for any experience you can prove.

If you have been driving on a full UK licence for more than 2 years then you will be able to swap your licence.

More info here: http://www.drivetest.ca/EN/licencing...l-Licence.aspx

I have lived here for almost three years and haven't swapped my licence. I haven't driven here. Will I need to take a test?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reidies
I have lived here for almost three years and haven't swapped my licence. I haven't driven here. Will I need to take a test?
Oh dear, I think your biggest problem may be that you have to show proof of driving experience in 2 out of the past 3 years when exchanging your licence.

I would suggest going to one of the offices and asking - I really don't know if you would be required to enter the graduated licencing program or not.

I would strongly suggest you don't leave it too much longer to find out!

Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

markstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to beholdmarkstimson is a splendid one to behold

You're fine. Driving experience literally means holding a valid licence for 2 out of the last 3 years. (i.e if you had a UK licence that expired 4 years ago for example, then you'd have a problem).

You don't need to show you've actually been driving. Canada loves its bureaucracy but that would be madness!

FYI I phoned the DVLA back in Blighty yesterday to try and obtain a duplicate licence on account of surrendering my UK one to obtain an Ontario licence. They informed me they were aware I had exchanged and were unable simply to issue a replacement. The driving agencies must therefore talk to each other so you'll need to do a straight swap again if ever you wanted your UK licence back.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

I don't recall having to prove driving experience within the last three years, when I swapped my licence.

I did have insurance documents on hand to prove it though, if needed.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Since you were required to exchange your GB licence for an Ontario one within 60 days of taking up residence in Ontario, they might not let you do so now. It may be that your GB licence is no longer considered valid (since you no longer live there). It's worth trying an exchange asap because the alternative is starting over in Ontario.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:33 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

The Canadian drivers license is more than just for driving. It's also a valid photo ID card that is usually prefered, when asked for ID. For that reason alone you should seek to exchange it ASAP.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by markstimson
You're fine. Driving experience literally means holding a valid licence for 2 out of the last 3 years. (i.e if you had a UK licence that expired 4 years ago for example, then you'd have a problem).

You don't need to show you've actually been driving. Canada loves its bureaucracy but that would be madness!

FYI I phoned the DVLA back in Blighty yesterday to try and obtain a duplicate licence on account of surrendering my UK one to obtain an Ontario licence. They informed me they were aware I had exchanged and were unable simply to issue a replacement. The driving agencies must therefore talk to each other so you'll need to do a straight swap again if ever you wanted your UK licence back.
This is not so good - I was hoping to get my UK license when I go back as I still have a car over there. I will try applying and see what they say then!

I don't think you'll have to take a test as long as the UK license is valid, other than the eye test. When I changed mine it was over 60 days that I was here but not as long as you...they didn't even ask when I came to Canada so you should be ok to do the swap.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 10:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mircha
This is not so good - I was hoping to get my UK license when I go back as I still have a car over there. I will try applying and see what they say then!
I don't see why that matters. You can drive your car in the UK on your Ontario license. Assuming you'd be there visiting rather than re-establishing residency.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

Well, finally got my act together and swapped my license today. They never asked me how long I've been in Canada.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tracykate
I believe its only 3 months you can drive on british license, but i just swapped my british one over for an ontario one and no tests were needed.
And, unlike Britain, there aren't separate licenses here for manual and automatic transmissions. So long as you have a valid driver's license you can drive either one.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

They won't know if you haven't driven but an expired license would be a different story. If your Ontario license expires and you do not renew it within three years you have to start the whole process from scratch so that would apply to a foreign license as well.

I know this because it happened to me years ago. I had missed a renewal notice (probably because I was away at university) and completely forgot about renewing my license. I was discussing licenses with a friend who is a traffic cop and mentioned that I still had the old two-part license. He told me that nobody should have one of those any more and, when he checked my license, it turned out that it had been expired for just over three years. When I went in to renew it I was told that I had to enter the new graduated license program and start from scratch because the time limit was three years. Obviously I flipped out a bit. The lady managing the service center was the mother of a guy I had gone to high school with and she had known me my whole life. She said that even though she knew I had had my license for years, there was no way to override the computer. She did usher me in for a written test and immediately scheduled the initial road test for less than an hour after I had completed the written test. But I still had to go through the rest of the licensing process and pay the fees the whole step of the way.

Based on my experience I think it is safe to say that someone with an expired foreign license would most definitely have to go through the whole process.

Last edited by colchar; Jul 15th 2013 at 7:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.