Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How long can I, a UK resident stay in Canada without a visa?

How long can I, a UK resident stay in Canada without a visa?

Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Carter5000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How long can I, a UK resident stay in Canada without a visa?

I am a UK resident who would like to visit Canada for 6 months, travel around and see the country.

Do I just buy a one-way ticket and show funds and where I intend to stay, etc.

What's the criteria?

Can anyone tell me, please?
Old Dec 21st 2011, 9:52 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long can I, a UK resident stay in Canada without a visa?

Originally Posted by Carter5000
I am a UK resident who would like to visit Canada for 6 months, travel around and see the country.

Do I just buy a one-way ticket and show funds and where I intend to stay, etc.

What's the criteria?

Can anyone tell me, please?
Brits will typically get six months as tourists automatically. Just tell the hard working under appreciated border official the truth and don't try to smuggle too much booze in.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

A one way ticket might have you grounded at the UK airport as airlines won't let you fly on just that unless you have PR status, citizenship or TWP/study visa. one way tickets are also more expensive than returns.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 10:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
A one way ticket might have you grounded at the UK airport as airlines won't let you fly on just that unless you have PR status, citizenship or TWP/study visa. one way tickets are also more expensive than returns.
They are expensive anyway - probably cheaper to get a flexible return.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Brits will typically get six months as tourists automatically. Just tell the hard working under appreciated border official the truth and don't try to smuggle too much booze in.
Im sure it took you a few stiff drinks before you wrote that

Basically you are correct on the 6 month rule and usually anything over the 6 months needs written authorization i.e. Visitor Record issued.
However you have to satisfy the examining officer that you are a bona fide visitor, have sufficient funds for the duration of your stay (subjective I know) in some cases sufficient medical coverage, not be inadmissible under sections 34 to 42 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. The travel document you are travelling on also needs to be valid for the duration of the stay. Also you have to satisfy the officer that you will be leaving Canada at the end of your stay and that while in Canada you cannot work or study i.e enroll full time at a Uni or post secondary facility. Not having a return ticket is not required but as Alan2005 says a flexible return is a good option or an open ticket for return.

Other than that its a fairly simple process.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Dec 22nd 2011 at 8:29 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 3:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge difference between UK resident and UK citizen. If you are not a British citizen then you will still need to comply with the Canadian visitor regulations for your respective country of citizenship (I think) which could require a TRV in some cases.

I know being on an immigrant or 'proper' non-immigrant UK visa can afford you certain priviledges when travelling overseas though, e.g. my girlfriend has a Foreign Legal Resident visa for the UK and was therefore permitted to travel overseas using a UK travel insurance policy instead of a more expensive policy from her homeland because technically she can be repatriated to the UK as long as her current visa is valid.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Dec 22nd 2011 at 3:30 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alan2005
They are expensive anyway - probably cheaper to get a flexible return.
I'm here as a 6 month visitor from the UK (been here 4 weeks now) dragged over the coals on arrival but allowed entry all the same. Asked why 6 months (because my wife is here) asked to prove it. She was picking me up at the airport so they just tannoyed her, checked her status and stuff. Asked for proof of funds (I had 10k in cash) also I had a return ticket and a 6 month medical insurance certificate which helped in my favour. Keep cool and expect to be dicked about. I travelled with air transat (thru Canadian affair) but couldn't get an open/flexible return so would be interested to know who offers that particular ticket option. Thanks.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CANADIAN CARPERS
I travelled with air transat (thru Canadian affair) but couldn't get an open/flexible return so would be interested to know who offers that particular ticket option. Thanks.
Any proper airline.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled with air transat (thru Canadian affair) but couldn't get an open/flexible return so would be interested to know who offers that particular ticket option. Thanks.
Pretty much all airlines offer that. I had one a year ago. It cost about £700 lasted a year and had a flexible return. Although, every change to the return would incur a change fee.

The tickets do exist.
Old Dec 22nd 2011, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Pretty much all airlines offer that. I had one a year ago. It cost about £700 lasted a year and had a flexible return. Although, every change to the return would incur a change fee.

The tickets do exist.
I was living 17 miles from Manchester airport so made sense to just look at what was available to me there. Air transat on a Monday or nothing (to Toronto)
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The tickets do exist.
Most if not all charter carriers do not offer open tickets, only the scheds offer that and it costs more than a discounted fixed ticket.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Aviator
Most if not all charter carriers do not offer open tickets, only the scheds offer that and it costs more than a discounted fixed ticket.
I know you are in the biz, but when I last checked for a changable ticket on AC the difference was $50 between them.

KLM just happened to have a fantastic deal going for $600 return and I am going for a fixed time and get my 100% miles on Delta SkyMiles. :-)
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:06 am
Just Joined

I'm here as a 6 month visitor from the UK (been here 4 weeks now) dragged over the coals on arrival but allowed entry all the same. Asked why 6 months (because my wife is here) asked to prove it. She was picking me up at the airport so they just tannoyed her, checked her status and stuff. Asked for proof of funds (I had 10k in cash) also I had a return ticket and a 6 month medical insurance certificate which helped in my favour. Keep cool and expect to be dicked about. I travelled with air transat (thru Canadian affair) but couldn't get an open/flexible return so would be interested to know who offers that particular ticket option. Thanks.
What kind of stuff did they ask you?
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 11:06 am
Just Joined

Oh just to clarify: I am a UK citizen - born here.
Old Dec 23rd 2011, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I guess to some folk that doing our job is classed as being dicked about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.