Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How is living in Montreal different to Uk

How is living in Montreal different to Uk

Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How is living in Montreal different to Uk

Hi all

I am brand new to this forum and am moving to Montreal from London, UK. My wife who is from Montreal is terribly homesick and I know we have to go back there. I love the Uk and really don't want to move.

I have been to Canada more than 7 times and know it well in terms of a holiday. It worries me , only having basic French skills.

It all looks great prices when you have Pounds in your pocket and on holiday, but what is it really like in terms of what you can afford on an average salary.

Is it better or worse than living in London, Has anyone lived in both cities who can tell me.

Jonathan
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:04 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How is living in Montreal different to Uk

Like comparing apples and oranges really, not that we are from london.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:41 pm
Remya

Welcome to the forum. There are a few of us from Montreal so you should get some replies. When are you moving here? It will be more of a shock if it is soon as the Winter is fast approaching. Although you have been here on vacation a lot it is always different having to live here. I didn't mind the snow so much as the length of the winter as it goes on until well into April and maybe even May.

I would say that you have to try and be positive even before you get here as this will very much influence how you settle. I came with no real preconceptions but had I been negative I would have found it much harder to fit in (and I'm still not feeling like it's 'home' after 18 months, though I generally think Montreal's a great place).

Why do you not want to move from the UK? If it's family-related, then yes, that could be a problem. But we do have a lot of the things the UK has and more (cheap public transport and accommodation being the first two I can think of) and there are plenty of places to eat out and have fun. Do you know yet where in Montreal you are moving to?

As for the basic French - yes, I think you might be right to worry a bit here. There are jobs out there for monolingual anglophones but most require at least a certain level of French. You might want to check out the YES office at http://www.yesmontreal.ca/yes.php as this is really the only place advertising English speaking jobs. It really depends on what you are used to in terms of jobs in the UK and what you are willing to do in Canada. It is unlikely in Montreal that you will have the same standard of job straight away, but you can (and should) use it to network, see what you like and find what is possible.

I haven't lived in London so I can't compare the two, but I would imagine Montreal seems a lot cheaper (even taking into account salary differences) and there is definitely less of a commute.

Don't worry too much! It will be strange at first but as the Borg say, you'll adapt. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask (but maybe give us a bit more of a background first!).

Old Oct 24th 2005, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

I just moved to Montreal and last lived in London 5 years ago. I find it pretty different but it is a different country! The biggest thing is the French which is spoken almost automatically everywhere and I'm surprised at how bad the English of some people in some shops. Although my French is not so hot and I lived in France before coming. The accent is pretty distinct and I have trouble understanding some people. However, I found TV was a good way to get used to the language when I first moved to Paris and that's my excuse for watching so much now! It's true it has a European feel but I find it still obvious we are in a North American city. London is unique, Montreal is unique, and I would say not to expect things to be similar. I came with no expectations so I wouldn't be disappointed when things don't appear like they did in my head!

Good luck!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks for your reply. It's a family thing, she is very very homesick . I am at a stage in London where I have a business which is just started to take off and I feel that I would be abandoning that by coming to Montreal.

At the moment our house is in the process of being sold, and we will probably be arriving in the early part of 06. I was in Montreal last Christmas, and it really was an eye opener, The snow was truly amazing but I the houses are incredibly well heated. I was also amazed how business carries on as normal even in a blizzard.

My idea was to keep my UK business going as a large portion of it can be done by internet or email. I could arrange my face to face meetings by going back for maybe 10 days every couple of months. If I can keep an income in pounds maybe I can live well there.

I've lived here all my life, although i've travelled a lot I've allways appreciated coming back to London, Its my home, my familly and my friends. The thing is its the same thing for her and Montreal. I feel that I have to go, and although I really like Montreal I don't want to go.

I feel that I will be losing everything I have worked for, the house I own, possibly my business. I will even have to retake my driving test even though I have been on the road for 17 years.

Thats the basics of it really

Originally Posted by Remya
Welcome to the forum. There are a few of us from Montreal so you should get some replies. When are you moving here? It will be more of a shock if it is soon as the Winter is fast approaching. Although you have been here on vacation a lot it is always different having to live here. I didn't mind the snow so much as the length of the winter as it goes on until well into April and maybe even May.

I would say that you have to try and be positive even before you get here as this will very much influence how you settle. I came with no real preconceptions but had I been negative I would have found it much harder to fit in (and I'm still not feeling like it's 'home' after 18 months, though I generally think Montreal's a great place).

Why do you not want to move from the UK? If it's family-related, then yes, that could be a problem. But we do have a lot of the things the UK has and more (cheap public transport and accommodation being the first two I can think of) and there are plenty of places to eat out and have fun. Do you know yet where in Montreal you are moving to?

As for the basic French - yes, I think you might be right to worry a bit here. There are jobs out there for monolingual anglophones but most require at least a certain level of French. You might want to check out the YES office at http://www.yesmontreal.ca/yes.php as this is really the only place advertising English speaking jobs. It really depends on what you are used to in terms of jobs in the UK and what you are willing to do in Canada. It is unlikely in Montreal that you will have the same standard of job straight away, but you can (and should) use it to network, see what you like and find what is possible.

I haven't lived in London so I can't compare the two, but I would imagine Montreal seems a lot cheaper (even taking into account salary differences) and there is definitely less of a commute.

Don't worry too much! It will be strange at first but as the Borg say, you'll adapt. Any questions, don't hesitate to ask (but maybe give us a bit more of a background first!).
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:26 pm
Remya

Hi Jonathon,

Your wife may be very, very homesick, but it really sounds like you might be over here. Hopefully you won't be abandonning your business by coming here; after all, as you say, you can do some of it online, and flights back aren't too impossible to do (certainly not time-wise; it's not like you're moving to Australia!). If you don't have to worry about getting a job then you don't really have to worry about French, assuming you'll be carrying on your English business. Although I have found that getting a job is at least a good way of meeting new people. What hobbies do you have? There's something here for everyone, really. You can live well on an income in dollars but as I said, it depends what you're doing. You can always go back to London and keep going between there and Mtl - just remember the 2 in 5 year for PR (stay in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years) and if you can stick it out, just stay and get citizenship and then you won't have to worry about dealing with immigration anymore. I know it's nice to own a house but you can own one here too...

As for the driver's licence: I don't think you have to re-take it. See here: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver...nts_other.html

See, there is good news about moving here!

Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice on this one.

I don't know where i got the idea from about the driving licence but it looks like its ok for exchange. There also seem to be some good cheap flights from Montreal at certain times of the year.

I'm going to go for it and really make a go of it in Canada and just try and get back when I can

Jonathan

Originally Posted by Remya
Hi Jonathon,

Your wife may be very, very homesick, but it really sounds like you might be over here. Hopefully you won't be abandonning your business by coming here; after all, as you say, you can do some of it online, and flights back aren't too impossible to do (certainly not time-wise; it's not like you're moving to Australia!). If you don't have to worry about getting a job then you don't really have to worry about French, assuming you'll be carrying on your English business. Although I have found that getting a job is at least a good way of meeting new people. What hobbies do you have? There's something here for everyone, really. You can live well on an income in dollars but as I said, it depends what you're doing. You can always go back to London and keep going between there and Mtl - just remember the 2 in 5 year for PR (stay in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years) and if you can stick it out, just stay and get citizenship and then you won't have to worry about dealing with immigration anymore. I know it's nice to own a house but you can own one here too...

As for the driver's licence: I don't think you have to re-take it. See here: http://www.saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/driver...nts_other.html

See, there is good news about moving here!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Wow with a name like that it seems you really wanted out of the UK

Originally Posted by finallygotout
Like comparing apples and oranges really, not that we are from london.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Hi JOnathon

Wow, it sounds like you have tough decisions to make. How long has your wife lived in the UK? I can understand her homesickness as mine seems to be getting worse not better over time!

We have been in Montreal for 2 years and I woud say it is a great place. I really like the city and the climate and all the things there are to do.
As you say there are cheap flights in the summer and Air Canada has good deals all year round if you book far enough in advance.
And for the driving licence yes you don't have to take a test (just waste half a day at the SAAQ) and even get to keep your UK one!

So hopefully you'll get out here and love it, with family to help you both settle I guess it should be a bit easier, and your business continues to flourish.

Good luck.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

Mate, I can give you some good advice if you want, i too am a Londoner
married to a girl from Montreal, and after living happily in London she too
got home sick and we decided to make a go of it over here. If you havent
already done so i suggest you start the immigration process now, it takes
a whole year to complete and will leave you pulling your hair out!

I actually completed the immigration process over a year ago but didnt move
over here permanently until 6 weeks ago. There are heaps of really positive
things about Montreal but of course some negatives too. The hardest thing
for me has been finding work, im a skilled IT technician with experience and
qualifications but ive had the hardest time finding work here. My French is
intermediate, so better than some but not good enough for getting a lot
of jobs. Depending on what you want to do it really could be a pain ifyou
cant understand people here.

If you have any questions email me [email protected] Im happy to
help out answer any questions.