Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How important is space?

How important is space?

Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all
Default How important is space?

Well not space itself but maybe gardens etc. In the UK we were always looking for a house with 'space' no neighbours you could hear, see right next to you. However when we are looking at houses on the internet in Ottawa we strangely dont mind the house being next to lots of others - does a different country change your opinions or will we realise that we want the same thing in Canada as the UK? We know the area we are looking at as my brother lives there so we have visited many streets and would have bought his last house in Orleans in a flash even though it was an end of terrace 2 bed house with a small garden. I cant say that in the UK we would ever buy an end of terrace 2 bed with a small garden. Even though there is more character houses in the UK the newer houses seem moor roomy inside?? Anyone living in Orleans out there??
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:08 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How important is space?

I think space is as important here as in the UK. You can get neighbours just as chav-like as back home.
We live on the other side of Ottawa, in Kanata, where they tend to build houses quite close together, so if you're unlucky enough to have noisy neighbours with unruly kids then you'll know about it.
We couldn't afford a fully detached house when we moved here and we didn't like the idea of a terraced house - being trapped between two other families, so we opted for a semi-detached house in a nice street.
It's still close to the next house, but our slob neighbours moved out to the countryside where they belong and it's unbelievably peaceful now. I think the whole street is rejoicing.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

You might not want to overdo the rural space thing though. Living in the sticks in Canada is not the middle-class dream a lot of people in the UK are looking for. Buying a house with land in the UK usually makes it more expensive. In Canada it's cheap and can be really rough and full of hicks!

I think most people heading to Canada still want a bigger house though. It's just Canada's way of keeping you here, as you would never be able to afford anything in the UK that would fit all the crap you accumulate
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:43 pm
The Pixies still Rule.

John_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to beholdJohn_B is a splendid one to behold

We were lucky to have made enough money on our one bedroom flat in London to buy a nice fully detached house here. It's not big by Canadian standards, but it's plenty big enough for our little family of 4.

We talk of moving back to England quite often, but the thought of having to share a wall with somebody else is enough to keep us here for good.

I know this will sound really snobby. But if you can afford to live in a neighbourhood full of professionals, you are far less likely to have to put up with chav parties, and speeding cars etc.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 1:06 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

For me, no, different country did not change my opinion. I've always preferred to live in the country (and be close to the sea) and I did this when work locations allowed.

Regarding Nova Scotia, I don't find life too difficult out on the edge of wilderness. We're close enough to the highway. Close enough that winter driving is only a problem during a major storm. And far enough away from the highway that we can't hear it.

So far crime and intrusive hick activity has been at a minimum (in the five years I've lived up here). Everyone in the area is very well spaced out and has a number of acres (some in the hundreds). They all pretty much keep themselves to themselves.

In summer it can be idyllic here. Beautiful views, peacefulness, interesting wildlife activity and a gentle breeze that helps manage the heat and bugs. You just don't get that [easily] in a built-up area.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 2:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John_B
I know this will sound really snobby. But if you can afford to live in a neighbourhood full of professionals, you are far less likely to have to put up with chav parties, and speeding cars etc.
That's an utterly suburban perspective. A typical city block offers both professionals and the equivalent of Gypsies.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all

We have been lookin at Orleans just outside of Ottawa.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my perspective.

Modern homes may be huge in size but on relatively small lots with the house as close as 10ft to the neighbour's. The reason may be that with both husband and wife working there's no time for property maintenance so keep the lot small.

If you really want more space buy an older home otherwise you'll hear your neighbour fart when you're on your patio.

Last edited by flashman; Sep 4th 2011 at 4:27 pm. Reason: addition
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
The reason may be that with both husband and wife working there's no time for property maintenance so keep the lot small.
Or......keep the lot small so more houses can be built giving more profit. Build over-sized houses per lot to feed the need for size that many north Americans and British immigrants crave.

Simples!!!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:17 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
You might not want to overdo the rural space thing though. Living in the sticks in Canada is not the middle-class dream a lot of people in the UK are looking for. Buying a house with land in the UK usually makes it more expensive. In Canada it's cheap and can be really rough and full of hicks! I think most people heading to Canada still want a bigger house though. It's just Canada's way of keeping you here, as you would never be able to afford anything in the UK that would fit all the crap you accumulate
A sweeping generalisation if I ever heard of one, FYI these rural hicks would 9 times out of 10 come before you even called if you ever needed a hand
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
That's an utterly suburban perspective. A typical city block offers both professionals and the equivalent of Gypsies.
and indoor horticulturists!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence
You might not want to overdo the rural space thing though. Living in the sticks in Canada is not the middle-class dream a lot of people in the UK are looking for. Buying a house with land in the UK usually makes it more expensive. In Canada it's cheap and can be really rough and full of hicks!
Depends on how many million you consider cheap, try buying cheap acreage in Lower Mainland BC or around any of the major centres. Acreage only gets cheap when you get out into to boonies. A property with space in Vancouver would not be cheap.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:19 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought this was going to be a topic about"the final frontier:"
Old Sep 5th 2011, 3:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
I thought this was going to be a topic about"the final frontier:"
... and split infinitives.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:20 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
A sweeping generalisation if I ever heard of one, FYI these rural hicks would 9 times out of 10 come before you even called if you ever needed a hand
Yes, but only to drink all your beer and laugh at you from their 4x4 trucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.