Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to get social insurance number

How to get social insurance number

Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get social insurance number

Originally Posted by JonboyE View Post
Regarding disclosing a SIN.

You are required to give your SIN number to anyone or any organization that is paying you taxable income. Essentially employers, banks, mutual funds or a trust that you are a beneficiary of. Also to anyone providing tax sheltered accounts like RRSPs. TFSAs, RESPs etc. Obviously, the CRA and Service Canada need to know your SIN.

You are not required to give you SIN number to anyone else. Especially not to credit agencies or anyone giving you credit facilities.

The best advice is to only disclose your SIN when absolutely necessary.
So when I applied for a car loan through Honda and they asked for the SIN I could have told them they weren't entitled to have it? Wouldn't they just have rejected the application in that case? They were actually happy enough for the loan to go beyond the work permit date and didn't inflate the interest rate either.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf View Post
Actually they're already doing the paper round. The form we had to complete had a space for a SIN number - at that time we just said we hadn't got round to getting them for the children and they said oh it doesn't matter anyway. Out of curiousity I'll check with their Canadian friend to see if they ever provided a SIN number when they started the paper round.

The company says money has to be paid into a bank account not cash in hand.

The person at Service Canada said a SIN number might be asked for at banks for certain accounts. Also, the children all have savings accounts in the UK which pay interest - obviously well below a personal allowance but pressumably in theory that should be declared as worldwide income in Canada.
I don't think they are allowed to work on a study permit. You could be in trouble with this.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:10 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuppence View Post
I don't think they are allowed to work on a study permit. You could be in trouble with this.
No kids are not meant to work on a study permit - but try telling that to the 15 yr old bugging you for money!!! Spesh when all her friends have jobs - volunteering just doesnt cut the mustard! Mine would dearly love to work at Playland or one of the rec centres but til we get PR they have no SIN - catch 22!

Hence the paper round - if push come to shove I do it - its my SIn and I can work.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimf View Post
So when I applied for a car loan through Honda and they asked for the SIN I could have told them they weren't entitled to have it? Wouldn't they just have rejected the application in that case? They were actually happy enough for the loan to go beyond the work permit date and didn't inflate the interest rate either.
You don't have to give it to them. It shouldn't make a difference to the loan application if they already know you are on a TWP.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:47 am
Dreaming of Whitby,ON

joopychools is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can apply for your SIN by post from the UK once you have returned after landing? I am thinking it may come in handy once we are back here in terms of applying for jobs...Anyone got any thoughts on this??

Thanks!
Old May 16th 2010, 6:09 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by joopychools View Post
Hi all,

Does anyone know if you can apply for your SIN by post from the UK once you have returned after landing? I am thinking it may come in handy once we are back here in terms of applying for jobs...Anyone got any thoughts on this??

Thanks!

Nope you can't.
Old May 16th 2010, 7:12 pm
Dreaming of Whitby,ON

joopychools is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
Hi

Nope you can't.
Ok thanks for that. Will sort it out on my recce next month. Have already located the nearest one to where we will be staying.

Merci!