British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How to get social insurance number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-get-social-insurance-number-656107/)

laurieflynn Feb 22nd 2010 1:53 pm

How to get social insurance number

Hi, I am due to arive in vancouver in a few weeks on he Bunac programme but the orientation is scheduled for the day I start work. Is it still possible for me to get my own SIN number or can I only recieve it at the Bunac orientation.

thanks

iaink Feb 22nd 2010 1:58 pm

Re: How to get social insurance number

Go to the nearest Service Canada office on arrival and you can apply for a SIN there.

There is no way to do it before you get to canada Im afraid.

Employers are technically able to start you off without the SIN in hand, but some choose not to as its additional hassle. They also need to take that leap of faith that you are not working illegally.

laurieflynn Feb 22nd 2010 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8365153)
Go to the nearest Service Canada office on arrival and you can apply for a SIN there.

There is no way to do it before you get to canada Im afraid.

Employers are technically able to start you off without the SIN in hand, but some choose not to as its additional hassle. They also need to take that leap of faith that you are not working illegally.

thanks for the reply, how long does it talk to process the application as I arrive on the monday night and start work on the Thursday?

vickyandneil Feb 22nd 2010 2:08 pm

I got mine on tuesday last week and it took 30 mins. It was really easy. Good luck :D

iaink Feb 22nd 2010 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by laurieflynn (Post 8365161)
thanks for the reply, how long does it talk to process the application as I arrive on the monday night and start work on the Thursday?

If you ask they can give you the number at the time you apply I believe, but it takes a few weeks for the official card to arrive in the mail.

laurieflynn Feb 22nd 2010 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by vickyandneil (Post 8365178)
I got mine on tuesday last week and it took 30 mins. It was really easy. Good luck :D

thats good, was worried I might not have been able to start work. Can I ask did you go on the Bunac programme.

MR79 Feb 22nd 2010 2:20 pm

when i went to Service Canada to get my SIN, they issued the number immediately on a piece of paper and the card arrived 8 days later.

MR79

jimf Feb 22nd 2010 6:13 pm

Is there any need for children to get a SIN?

Almost Canadian Feb 22nd 2010 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 8365732)

We did. They will need one at some stage and we thought it would pay to kill two birds with one stone.

I am fairly sure that when we set up RESPs for them their SIN numbers were required.

jimf Feb 22nd 2010 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 8365733)
We did. They will need one at some stage and we thought it would pay to kill two birds with one stone.

I am fairly sure that when we set up RESPs for them their SIN numbers were required.

Although Mrs jimf isn't working she will need one for the tax return I'm guessing so we may as well get them for the children as well - I don't think there is a cost? Pressumably the children don't need to go to the office in person?

iaink Feb 22nd 2010 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 8365732)

Not really, unless you intend to start an RESP savings account, in which case you will need it. Doesnt do any harm though I guess.

DaveLovesDee Feb 22nd 2010 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 8365738)
Although Mrs jimf isn't working she will need one for the tax return I'm guessing so we may as well get them for the children as well - I don't think there is a cost? Pressumably the children don't need to go to the office in person?

When I filled out my first tax return before I could get my SIN, the CRA gave me a temporary number that wasn't valid for employment purposes. I was told to put all zeros in the SIN section and they'd sort it there.

jimf Apr 13th 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 8365733)

Attempted to get SINs for the children today but according to Service Canada as they are in Canada on study permits (all aged 12 or under) they cannot be issued SINs unless they are employed by the school they attend and need to declare income. They said if we opened accounts and the bank wanted SIN numbers we would have to come back and get a notice of refusal letter to give to the bank.

Almost Canadian Apr 13th 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by jimf (Post 8493671)
Attempted to get SINs for the children today but according to Service Canada as they are in Canada on study permits (all aged 12 or under) they cannot be issued SINs unless they are employed by the school they attend and need to declare income. They said if we opened accounts and the bank wanted SIN numbers we would have to come back and get a notice of refusal letter to give to the bank.

Do you have PR? My 3 were 13, 7 and 3 when we landed. They all have their's.

jimf Apr 13th 2010 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 8493705)
Do you have PR? My 3 were 13, 7 and 3 when we landed. They all have their's.

No PR just work permits for mrs jimf and myself and study permits for the children.