Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to get social insurance number

How to get social insurance number

Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get social insurance number

Originally Posted by jimf
No PR just work permits for mrs jimf and myself and study permits for the children.
That'll be why then
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Ghost-Rider is an unknown quantity at this point

Same day SIN for me and the OH as well ..

IIRC I had to book an appointment thou (BC)

Also not sure if theres a Charge?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Without a SIN, does this mean the children couldn't do a paper round for instance? One of their friends has a round and they're quite keen to do it. I suppose mrs jimf could be the "official" paperboy even if the children actually deliver the papers.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Without a SIN, does this mean the children couldn't do a paper round for instance? One of their friends has a round and they're quite keen to do it. I suppose mrs jimf could be the "official" paperboy even if the children actually deliver the papers.
I guess not. Once they obtain PR (if that is your intention) they will be fine.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

same day,

mine took about 10 minutes

you need you proof of landing paperwork and passport.

OH and DONT DIVULGE your SIN number to anyone, its also not to be used for general ID purposes and you should keep it at home in a safe place.

Some FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS will ask for it and you only show it to your emploer if asked for

was warned about this as the counter, otherwise, you can have all kinds of issues with cloning/scamming

oh and when you apply for your SIN, they give you a piece of paper there and then with your SIN number, the card is posted to the abode you listed on your Landing Form

Originally Posted by laurieflynn
thanks for the reply, how long does it talk to process the application as I arrive on the monday night and start work on the Thursday?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

no charge at all

Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider
Same day SIN for me and the OH as well ..

IIRC I had to book an appointment thou (BC)

Also not sure if theres a Charge?
Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

dude,
I doubt anyone is going to insist on a SIN card for kids doing a paper round,
I dont ever remember paying tax/insurance when I was a PB between 10-15
besides what would a child do with a SIN?

A tax paying adult, doing a paperround would probably need a SIN, mind you I would expect that to be cash in hand, all 20 bucks worth

Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaye944
dude,
I doubt anyone is going to insist on a SIN card for kids doing a paper round,
I dont ever remember paying tax/insurance when I was a PB between 10-15

A tax paying adult, doing a paperround would probably need a SIN, mind you I would expect that to be cash in hand, all 20 bucks worth
Actually they're already doing the paper round. The form we had to complete had a space for a SIN number - at that time we just said we hadn't got round to getting them for the children and they said oh it doesn't matter anyway. Out of curiousity I'll check with their Canadian friend to see if they ever provided a SIN number when they started the paper round.

The company says money has to be paid into a bank account not cash in hand.

The person at Service Canada said a SIN number might be asked for at banks for certain accounts. Also, the children all have savings accounts in the UK which pay interest - obviously well below a personal allowance but pressumably in theory that should be declared as worldwide income in Canada.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaye944
Start building RRSP headroom for future earnings.

If you want to start an RESP and get the 20% contribution match from the government for your kids then I seem to recall your kids need a SIN too.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 14th 2010 at 3:37 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:51 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If you want to start an RESP and get the 20% contribution match from the government for your kids then I seem to recall your kids need a SIN too.
^^^ Thats correct. We've just been through this for Sm AX.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:52 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what we have done!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

wonder of baby 944 will need a sin number too

thats just mad !
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Regarding disclosing a SIN.

You are required to give your SIN number to anyone or any organization that is paying you taxable income. Essentially employers, banks, mutual funds or a trust that you are a beneficiary of. Also to anyone providing tax sheltered accounts like RRSPs. TFSAs, RESPs etc. Obviously, the CRA and Service Canada need to know your SIN.

You are not required to give you SIN number to anyone else. Especially not to credit agencies or anyone giving you credit facilities.

The best advice is to only disclose your SIN when absolutely necessary.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 4:51 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

An employer does not need to produce a T4 for someone who earns less than $500 a year. Any more than that then the employer will be fined by the CRA if they don't get an employee's SIN.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
An employer does not need to produce a T4 for someone who earns less than $500 a year. Any more than that then the employer will be fined by the CRA if they don't get an employee's SIN.
I think the paper round will come to approx $1500 a year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.