Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to get money to Canada without a Canadian bank?

How to get money to Canada without a Canadian bank?

Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to get money to Canada without a Canadian bank?

Can anyone help?
A good friend of mine has just arrived on a tourist visa and wants to buy a car and roadtrip the USA before heading back to Vancouver to start a working holiday. No sin or visa right now means they are having trouble opening a bank account to transfer money Can anyone offer a soultion?
I could offer my bank account to receive funds but i'm worried that might have tax implications for me? It would be a clear papertrail though and easy to explain I think but maybe someone with knowledge has input on this.
Thanks tee
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:47 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get money to Canada without a Canadian bank?

Should be no problem opening an account as a non resident. Lots of us have done it in the past. Try a different bank. The only difference not having a TIN (SIN is not for visitors) would make is there would be a withholding tax on any interest.

Money could be wired to Western Union.
Old Feb 20th 2018, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

amycakes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

When we were last in USA and Canada we used a card called the Revolut card. You download the app, then you can transfer £ into $ and spend it on your card. You need to get the card posted to your UK address and take it with you abroad. They have spending limits though - think you need to verify your account after the first £750 by sending them a photo of your face beside your passport.

It's worked for us so far! Thanks, Amy
Old Feb 20th 2018, 10:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Bitcoin
Old Mar 1st 2018, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

SteveJ61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Have a look at transferwise.com. We used them to pay a deposit on our house in Canada from our UK bank account to the landlord's Canadian account. They are cheaper than transferring bank-to-bank.

Steve