Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to get Children British citizenship

How to get Children British citizenship

Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

cacobb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get Children British citizenship

I'm sure this has been on the site a few times but i was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information.

I moved over from the UK five years ago got married and had a beautiful little girl in 2009. My husband (who is Canadian) and I are expecting our second child at the end of April. I was wondering how I would go about getting UK passports for my two children. I've read that this could affect their canadian citizenship if I apply. Also do i need to register them as UK citizens before I do this or do they automatically become citizens because of me? I've tried looking at the official websites but they seem to leave more questions than they answer.

Any help or directions on where i can try for answers would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2010, 3:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get Children British citizenship

Originally Posted by cacobb
I've read that this could affect their canadian citizenship if I apply.
Not so. No problem there.

Originally Posted by cacobb
Also do i need to register them as UK citizens before I do this or do they automatically become citizens because of me?
Assuming you're simply British (rather than having some complicated status involving dependent territories such as Kenya or Hong Kong) then they are too. Download the application forms from the British Passport website, collect the supporting documents, send them off with a surprising amount of money, and the passports will appear.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 4:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi cacobb,

Here is the link for you: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...als/passports/
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

That site is a bit tangly one part says my kids are british citizens from decent and dont need to apply and in another section says they do need to apply - In laymans terms - I am British , my wife is Canadian , my girls are 5 and 2 both born in Canada so are the kids dual nationals already or do I need to apply for something ?
Old Dec 10th 2010, 5:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
are the kids dual nationals already

Yes.

or do I need to apply for something ?
A passport for each of them.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Your kids are UK citizens at birth. They can obtain UK passports at any time - whether they do or not, it doesn't change the fact that they are UK citizens. They are also Canadian citizens. Canadian citizenship is not lost by obtaining a UK passport - or vice versa.

I had 2 kids born in Canada. They were Canadian, UK and Irish citizens at birth (the last 2 by descent through their parents). They now also hold US citizenship. None of these 4 citizenships is affected by the others (although some other countries have different rules on citizenship).
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
They can obtain UK passports at any time - whether they do or not
but it would be a large favour to them to do it now, even if you allow the passports to expire rather than renewing them.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
but it would be a large favour to them to do it now, even if you allow the passports to expire rather than renewing them.
I will look into that this week thanks - Its time to renew my own as well
Old Dec 10th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why? What is the "large favour"? Are you thinking that being able to use the renewal process is a benefit?

I always make sure my kids have a current passport in case foreign travel is required. In our case, it has to be a US passport as we live in the US and, as US citizens, we are required by law to have a US passport when leaving and entering the country (at least by air). We've entered and exited Canada, UK and Ireland on our US passports even though we are also citizens of those 3 countries.

I have 4 kids - 3 of them have held UK passports but they expired and we didn't bother renewing them. My youngest has never had a UK passport. However, it's really no big deal getting a UK passport for any of them - and the youngest is at no disadvantage in terms of applying just because she's never had one.
Old Dec 10th 2010, 7:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Why? What is the "large favour"? Are you thinking that being able to use the renewal process is a benefit?.
Yes.

However, it's really no big deal getting a UK passport for any of them - and the youngest is at no disadvantage in terms of applying just because she's never had one.
Mine always travelled on their Swiss passports and they also had Canadian ones so I never bothered getting them British ones. Now that one of them needs a British passport, and is applying as an adult, it's turned out to be a slow and difficult process. Were she renewing it would be simpler. And this is without whatever changes to the rules there may be in the next twenty years.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

I will look into that this week thanks - Its time to renew my own as well

Looked into it and as far as I can see its $600 for each of them May look at it again later in the year
Old Dec 11th 2010, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looked into it and as far as I can see its $600 for each of them May look at it again later in the year
I don't know where you get $600 each from. The passport fees are here:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/resources/...sport-fees-oct

A child's passport is USD$139 + postage ($12 for up to 3 applications) - you'd also have to obtain photos.

However, certainly not cheap and they may not be necessary for you at this time. Like I said earlier, none of my kids have current UK passports because they just don't need them yet. We all have US passports because we live in the US and, as US citizens, we are required by law to leave/enter the US using US passports (at least by air). My kids could all have US, Canadian, UK and Irish passports but that would be very expensive and totally unnecessary.

I would advise that everyone in your family has a valid passport of some kind (e.g. UK or Canadian). You just never know when international travel might be necessary.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 11th 2010 at 4:41 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

My wife was digging around last night and that was figures she come up with - If she is giving me bum information again my beating stick is coming out