Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How far in advance should I start getting shipping quotes?

How far in advance should I start getting shipping quotes?

Old Apr 24th 2012, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of
Default How far in advance should I start getting shipping quotes?

My partner and I are planning to move to Alberta on a TWP - application has gone in, he's been asked to go for his medical and we're thinking we should be ready to fly (in paperwork terms) around the second half of June. We're planning to take most of our furniture and belongings with us so will need a container.

Should I be contacting moving companies now to get quotes etc? Given I won't know when we're going until a few weeks before will they be able to fit us in at short notice? (I read on another thread that people had their movers booked in several months in advance so a bit worried now.)

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice
Default Re: How far in advance should I start getting shipping quotes?

Hi there, and welcome.

Yes, you really ought to be talking to them now, but no need to panic either.

They can come to your house at fairly short notice, see for themselves what you want to take, and send you their quotes - all the good companies will do this for free and no obligations. Plenty of threads on the forum on who comes recommended if you do a quick search. We just had GB Liners and White & Co round, they both seemed good, we think White will get our business, but haven't completely decided yet.

International removals companies are very used to people not knowing exactly when they will move and most of them will accommodate you - you really need to talk to them to find out though. 2 weeks' notice didn't seem to phase the ones we met too much, although they both said that they get busier in the summer months so would need longer lead times for July/August. Hopefully for mid June you should be fine!

Good luck :-)
Old Apr 24th 2012, 3:47 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scheherazade
My partner and I are planning to move to Alberta on a TWP - application has gone in, he's been asked to go for his medical and we're thinking we should be ready to fly (in paperwork terms) around the second half of June. We're planning to take most of our furniture and belongings with us so will need a container.

Should I be contacting moving companies now to get quotes etc? Given I won't know when we're going until a few weeks before will they be able to fit us in at short notice? (I read on another thread that people had their movers booked in several months in advance so a bit worried now.)

Thanks in advance.

Good advice already given by nerdherd above. I think we got quotes a couple of months beforehand. We went with White & Co who we found really good but we did get quite a number of quotes in before deciding. They packed up all our stuff when we sold and moved out of our house although we weren't ready for it to be shipped at that stage as we were still waiting the go ahead on the move over. They just held it in storage for us until we gave them the OK. They offered a month's free storage although, in the end, it was nearer two months before we were ready and they never did charge us for storage.

Whereabouts in Alberta are you headed? We live close to Calgary.

All the best.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

scheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud ofscheherazade has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice nerdherd and TheThornes - I'll get on it.

Our destination is Vegreville (home of the CIC processing centre and a huge big Pysanka and hopefully soon, us!)
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

crazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nicecrazydaving is just really nice

We're moving to Edmonton in 18 months and I've already got an online quote from Robinsons International. Early is never too early! A colleague of mine just emimgrated to Melbourne and recommended this company, cheapest out of my 4 quotes so far...!
Old Apr 25th 2012, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

You can make one or two quick calls for estimates now, but Ocean Freight rates fluctuate quarter to quarter and month to month in the Spring/Summer months (also known as Peak Season) when many of the GRI General Rate Increases and PSS Peak Season Surcharges are applied. Spring or Fall are best for Ocean. Avoid moving anything by Air in general, especially during the Fall months before Christmas, thats peak time for retailers bringing in last minute orders and space and prices are at a premium. In general both services fluctuate with the price of oil and demand for vessel space on particular lanes.

If your the hands on type and can roll with the punches, save yourself some money, sell the replaceables, self pack, and use a commercial freight forwarder and not one of those white glove moving companies that packs every bloody plate.

All the best.