Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

Old Nov 6th 2009, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant future
Default Re: How to exchange UK driver's license in Ontario

Originally Posted by bewillow
They want to keep it. In theory they send it back to the UK.
Hi bewillow

thank you so much for your replies. I guess we should be grateful that we can get an Ontario licence so easily. Don't really need a UK licence anymore.

Take care

ready2go
Old Nov 6th 2009, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

It is sad though to loose the old piece of history, and especially one that never expires.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

ready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant futureready2go has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bewillow
There is presently a strike on so it is not normally possible to exchange a UK license for an Ontario one.

But it looks like you can do it at the Department of Transportation. All the normal requirements, for documentation and driver history, apply.

Address is apparently
777 Bay Street
Toronto
(no phone)

Hours are apparently:
M Tu We Fr: 8-5pm
Thurs: 8-7pm.
Is this place close to the Police headquaters building by any chance.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Right across the street from Police HQ, on the mall basement level.
Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for the very useful info bewillow.

first regarding the old paper licence and now helping me pinpoint the location on Bay street.

cheers

ready2go
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Rockyhill is an unknown quantity at this point

Can you exchange your license in Ottawa while the strike is on?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

My MPP told me I could only do it on Toronto. So I drove 3 hours from where I live.

It might be worth going to a ServiceOntario outlet in Ottawa and trying. The worst that happens is you wait for an hour and they say "no sir".

Best case you get served and do not have to make the long (very long day!) trip to Toronto.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

cheetah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Has anyone done this recently? I just phoned the Ministry of Transportation and they said they're only exchanging if a licence is needed for employment reasons.
Is the Department of Transportation office at 777 Bay separate from this rule?

Thanks!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

No reason needed at 777 Bay Street, at least not when we did it a month ago.

I think a few of the DriveTest centres are now open for doing things like exchanging licenses. Run by non-striking administrative staff.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:14 am
Just Joined

bgeorg is an unknown quantity at this point

Went there last week and exchanged my license.

It is the Service Ontario bureau lower floor. I had to wait for about 2hrs, but the actual exchange was just a matter of a few minutes. Quick vision test, taking picture, paying 75 CAD and surrendering my UK photo license.
All they wanted to see was the photo- and paper license, nothing else.

Was just wondering if local Service Ontario offices also handle license exchanges at the moment, or only the Toronto one?

B.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

cheetah is an unknown quantity at this point

Done!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

djchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nicedjchighlander is just really nice

Originally Posted by bgeorg
Went there last week and exchanged my license.

It is the Service Ontario bureau lower floor. I had to wait for about 2hrs, but the actual exchange was just a matter of a few minutes. Quick vision test, taking picture, paying 75 CAD and surrendering my UK photo license.
All they wanted to see was the photo- and paper license, nothing else.

Was just wondering if local Service Ontario offices also handle license exchanges at the moment, or only the Toronto one?

B.
Hi I have been told that you can do an exchange at the Kitchener centre 1405 Ottowa street, hope you can as i cannot get car insurance without it
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

KayKay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Can anyone tell me what documents (other than my UK drivers licence) are required to process the exchange to an Ontario licence? I just immigrated to Canada and have not yet received my PR card or my SIN. Do I need either of these? Of course, I do have my passport with the appropriate landed visas.

Also, would anyone happen to know whether this strike referred to earlier is over or not? I tried to search on the net for a phone number of this office with no luck. Anyone know of the contact number or web address where I can obtain some more info?

Thanks a lot in advance!

KayKay
Old Jan 5th 2010, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

The strike is over. So you can do this in most places in Ontario.

You need your UK driver's license, and some form of ID. A passport will do nicely. They do not care if you are a landed immigrant or an illegal alien from Mars - they just want to know who you are.

See http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/E...eciprocal.aspx
Old Jan 13th 2010, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

flexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond reputeflexsingh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Does this exchange programme provide you with a full license that allows you to drive on the highway as well as normal roads? Also does the exchange programme involve having to take a theory test? Been driving in the uk for about 4-5years now. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.