British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   How easy to rent in Vancouver? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/how-easy-rent-vancouver-609690/)

KS2008 May 17th 2009 7:54 pm

How easy to rent in Vancouver?

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself, but with luck I'll be headed to Vancouver later this year and I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me some idea of how easy or difficult I'm likely to find things when I come to renting accomodation (for at least 6 to 12 months pending something more permanent).

Obviously when I first land I'm going to have no job, no bank account and no references from Canadian landlords. Looking on the internet there seem to be a fair number of the type of accomodation I'm thinking about, namely a one or two bedroom, furnished apartment, probably in Burnaby. My current plan is to try to arrange a few viewings by contacting realators before I go out and then plan on staying at a hotel for a week or two while I check those places out before moving in. It sounds like a nice plan in theory, but how practical is it and what problems can I expect?

I guess that my concerns boil down to, are landlords going to rent to a newly arrived immigrant with no history? Am I likely to be able to find and move into a place within a week or two? Because I don't plan on or want to stay in a hotel any longer then necessary and the sooner I find a place, the sooner I'll be able to open a bank account and start looking for a job.

kmcguinness May 17th 2009 8:08 pm

Re: How easy to rent in Vancouver?

Hi KS,

although i have a job and have our references here in egland (we move out of our rental on june 12th) we have found there to be ample rentals to choose from.

we check out craigslist and kijiji often, weve enquired about a few that looked nice and had some replies, you'll find that on these sites they want tennants in asap, therefore we will arrange nearer the time.

ive also got contacts with frank and sue they are realators in BC, they are originally from england and have been excellent here is their emails:

[email protected]

[email protected]

they are called sue & frank gerryts you can google them they have a website

hope this helps :)

kae

JonboyE May 17th 2009 8:53 pm

Furnished places are few and far between, expensive, and intended as short-term rentals. Think $2,500 to $3,000 a month for a rabbit hutch downtown.

The vast majority of rentals are unfurnished and for 12 month periods. A reasonable apartment downtown will be about 1/2 the figures quoted above, less in Burnaby. Rentals usually start on the first of the month so depending on when you arrive (and how fussy you intend to be) you might have to budget up to six weeks in a hotel. There is a reasonable selection available but it is not a renter's market.

Be very careful of listings in craig's list and kijji. They are good to give you an idea of what is available but DO NOT part with any money until you are sure that a) the rental actually exists and b) the person wanting the money is the landlord or the landlord's agent.

Landlords will be reluctant to rent to someone with no job and no references. Several months rental in advance is sometimes needed. You pay rent by post dated cheques so don't wait to get a bank account. If you can't arrange this before you land it should be a priority for day one.

scrubbedexpat091 May 17th 2009 8:55 pm

Just know alot of rentals are not rented using realtors, check the newspaper ads and other website listings as well.

You should not have too terrible of a time, I've been in BC for 5 years now, and have been asked for refrences but not one landlord has ever called them, or asked for a credit check.

My current place is brand new condo, and the landlord rented it on the spot, with no checks.

I've never found it hard to rent anywhere in BC, most landlords just want the $$$.

kmcguinness May 17th 2009 8:57 pm

[QUOTE=JonboyE;7580213]Furnished places are few and far between, expensive, and intended as short-term rentals. Think $2,500 to $3,000 a month for a rabbit hutch downtown.

The vast majority of rentals are unfurnished and for 12 month periods. A reasonable apartment downtown will be about 1/2 the figures quoted above, less in Burnaby. Rentals usually start on the first of the month so depending on when you arrive (and how fussy you intend to be) you might have to budget up to six weeks in a hotel. There is a reasonable selection available but it is not a renter's market.

Be very careful of listings in craig's list and kijji. They are good to give you an idea of what is available but DO NOT part with any money until you are sure that a) the rental actually exists and b) the person wanting the money is the landlord or the landlord's agent.

Landlords will be reluctant to rent to someone with no job and no references. Several months rental in advance is sometimes needed. You pay rent by post dated cheques so don't wait to get a bank account. If you can't arrange this before you land it should be a priority for day one.[/QUOTE]

i had no idea about this so thanks for that, i will get on with the bank account, sorry to butt in by the way.

k

scrubbedexpat091 May 17th 2009 9:13 pm

You pay rent by post dated cheques so don't wait to get a bank account. If you can't arrange this before you land it should be a priority for day one

Landlords can request post dated cheques but you dont have to agree to this, and most landlords in my experience will not cause much of a fuss if you dont want to provide the checks in advance.

I refuse to give post dated cheques, the bank and a landlord screwed me once. (Landlord deposited 3 days early, bank didn't verify date, check bounced as it cleared 1 day early.)

JonboyE May 17th 2009 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by kmcguinness (Post 7580222)
i had no idea about this so thanks for that, i will get on with the bank account
k

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 7580241)
Landlords can request post dated cheques but you dont have to agree to this, and most landlords in my experience will not cause much of a fuss if you dont want to provide the checks in advance.

I refuse to give post dated cheques, the bank and a landlord screwed me once. (Landlord deposited 3 days early, bank didn't verify date, check bounced as it cleared 1 day early.)

I just knew someone would contradict me. ;)

There is no law to say that you must pay rent by postdate cheques, but it is by far, far, far the most common way, unless the landlord is a big commercial organization that will probably want pre-authorized debits (like direct debits in the UK).

Things may be a bit more relaxed in the sticks, but the Vancouver market is not a renter's market. IMO the last thing you need when you first get here is hassle with your landlord.

scrubbedexpat091 May 18th 2009 12:34 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 7580339)
I just knew someone would contradict me. ;) that will probably want pre-authorized debits (like direct debits in the UK)

I refuse to do that as well, nobody gets access to directly take money out of my account...:)

dboy May 18th 2009 2:03 am

Something a lot of people also don't realize is that most rentals here include your principal bills and service fees. You only pay property tax (council tax) if you own. On my last rental i only had to pay hydro for 15 dollars a month. Heat and hotwater were included.